Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The HoS Civil Discussion Thread Got an idea for the HoS? Post it here! (leave the BS home though)

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:08:32 AM
DHrox (15)
(Harrison L.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland

I think the HoS concept has lost its track. While the concept is there and the idea would appear to bring out a little humor, this isn't the case in practice. Instead, there should be a deal counter much like (dear lord) ebay uses with positive and negative feedback, except in this case, it is visible on the profile snippet next to a forum post, with + feedback in green and - feedback in red. It brings out too much anger in public to decide who needs to be put into the HoS. In this manner, it leaves it up to the buyers to choose who to buy from. Let me know what you guys think.

Best regards, DHrox

-------------------------
Check me out at @HLLivingLoco on Twitter or at GamersHavenNews.com under the same name!

Edited: 07/19/2010 at 12:18 PM by DHrox

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:13:05 AM
paulyshobby (90)
(Paul LaMalfa) < Ridley Wrangler >
New Hampshire
I think the purpose of the HoS should be for users who have consistently (or even once) scammed members, whether it be here, eBay, or anywhere else. Users who have multiple user names, bad eBay sellers and whatnot.

To put someone in the HoS (and give them a HoS icon) because they are a slow shipper is ludicrous in my mind. It should really only be for scammers, i agree it has gotten a bit out of hand.

edit: i also like your idea with the +/- on the forum post box.

Check out my eBay/Amazon stores!
http://www.paulyshobby.com...

Edited: 07/17/2010 at 12:52 PM by paulyshobby

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:31:42 AM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
I think that we're all adults here and we should process the information given and make our own decisions about who we buy from. If someone is slow to ship my items then I won't use that person. There's a issue with black and white if you just have scammers vs good sellers, there's got to be some middle ground.I don't see the HOS icon and avoid buying from that person but it does make me do my research and allows me to decide for myself. There are a few current users in the HOS now and they are all decent people who maybe screwed up down the line somewhere, does it prevent me from trusting them, no, but it allows me to look twice if I feel it necessary to do so. As far as I'm concerned, anytime money is concerned, you should always use caution and your best judgment for every person, not just HOS members.

Edited: 07/17/2010 at 11:34 AM by SamSpade

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:42:50 AM
DHrox (15)
Maryland
Right, so that's the idea with the the +/- next to the forum post box. Maybe after a certain number of negative remarks, you get put into the Hall of Shame. I certainly don't want to abolish it as it is a classic feature, but I simply think things have gotten out of hand.

Check me out at @HLLivingLoco on Twitter or at GamersHavenNews.com under the same name!

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:45:34 AM
SamSpade (61)
California
I would agree, people randomly posting in there is getting ridiculous too, everytime someone gets added, they go there and bitch and fight. Reminds me a bit of Jerry Springer, the HOS is turning into a spectator sport.

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:50:31 AM
paulyshobby (90)
New Hampshire
I personally think any post in the thread that does not pertain to a specific event in the HoS should be deleted and the thread should remain clean and tidy

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:50:48 AM
DHrox (15)
Maryland
Or like the Mau- oops, I'm going OT. In any case, it's left up to the site admins to decide, but I hope enough people agree in order to get some kind of change. I like this site. I really do (used to be a Toucharcade addict; now an NA addict). It's just, as the Prez once said, "It's time for change!" (or something like that )

Edited: 07/17/2010 at 11:51 AM by DHrox

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:37:54 PM
Bella (104)
(Bellatrix Lestrange) < Ridley Wrangler >
Alabama
Originally posted by: paulyshobby

I personally think any post in the thread that does not pertain to a specific event in the HoS should be deleted and the thread should remain clean and tidy

Agreed.

However I do see names on there and have no idea what they did. It is hard to read the whole thread to find out. And, in some cases it is just a blurb with no link or explanation. 

I have bigger balls than any man out there... They just sit two feet higher!

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:54:50 PM
paulyshobby (90)
New Hampshire
It was said before in another thread too.. It's really up to the other party to give the appropriate feedback. It's too often that someone will leave a generic positive feedback even when the deal wasn't all it should have been. That doesn't help out the rest of the community and that's what feedback is for!

Edited: 07/17/2010 at 12:55 PM by paulyshobby

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:03:07 PM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas
I think that the HoS is fine as is. Deleting stuff is bad. And most if it, while a little bitchy, is relevant to what is actually happening/happened to get users in the HoS.

Most of the systems on this site have been in place a lot longer than three weeks, and work fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Besides, if people would keep their bickering in PMs like they are supposed to, it wouldn't be so bad.

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:06:18 PM
paulyshobby (90)
New Hampshire
There is a LOT of nonsense in the thread. I'm not saying it's broke, maybe dented or chipped though.

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:24:20 PM
SamSpade (61)
California
Yeah, today it got way out of control more than usual. I don't think it's cool when people start calling out moderators for doing their jobs, like what the fuck does that have to do with the HOS?

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:16:34 PM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I'll worry if the HoS starts getting used as a threat so users can extort refunds from one another.

I'm not sure why people get mad when other people post in a thread. That just seems insane to me. People air grievances then get confused when people have things to say about it? Okay whatever guys!

Jul 17, 2010 at 5:32:33 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
I agree with MRN and OSG.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:41:42 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
i think it's okay as of right now. would be nice to have more distinction between banned, scammers, and lapse of judgment, but it works as it is now.

Let's Go Penguins!

Jul 17, 2010 at 6:52:12 PM
TheNEScollector (0)
(Brian Wagner) < Lolo Lord >
Iowa
now, I think the HoS should be only used for scammers and some other thing for slow shippers or people with low feed back. When I think of the HoS I think of this big bad evil place filed with scammers and criminals. If we were to include a new icon for people with a low feedback rate/slow shipping people would have a better idea of whom they can trust. For example: If I want to buy something and am looking through possable people, if they were in the HoS I would not even think of useing them. But if they were marked as a slow shipper with a high feed back, I might think to use them anyway. This is just my opinion on the topic, but I think it needs to be changed just alittle, like paulyshobby said "it's not broke, maybe dented or chipped."

Check out my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNEScollector You'll love it!

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:05:24 PM
OzNEScollector (80)
(O z) < Kraid Killer >
Australia
maybe 3 different colored HOS logos, same logo different color

blue: this is probationary like ars2pd and bella's logos - if you dont screw up within a time frame it disappears

Yellow: permanent cautionary logo given if the user fails the probationary period

Red: red means you have had atleast 2 chances to get things right and you haven't, buy at own risk

Edited: 07/17/2010 at 09:06 PM by OzNEScollector

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:44:26 PM
DHrox (15)
Maryland
Eh, it's a good idea, but it might get too cluttered and difficult to manage. I guess the current system is fine enough... who knows; maybe things will calm down some.

Edited: 07/17/2010 at 09:44 PM by DHrox

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:55:40 PM
RetroBasement (142)
(I read PM's !) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: OzNEScollector

maybe 3 different colored HOS logos, same logo different color

blue: this is probationary like ars2pd and bella's logos - if you dont screw up within a time frame it disappears

Yellow: permanent cautionary logo given if the user fails the probationary period

Red: red means you have had atleast 2 chances to get things right and you haven't, buy at own risk

i think this actually makes a ton of sense imo, but besides maybe an innovation like this i think its fine the way it is. It keeps us on our toes haha

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:27:28 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Scammers are not deserving of an account here, period. Much less any sort of icon treatment.

The system is already in place, and to change it now would not only be unfair to Mark who moderates it voluntarily, but also unfair to those who already appear on the list as they would be in a different "category" of evaluation from those who would subsequently earn their way in.

Anyway, I disagree that we need to change the system...

...but I do feel that we need to make concrete guidelines as to how to get OFF the list.

The punishment (an icon) comes with no real statutory time limit, and that IS something we can not only institute, but also moderate based on the offense.

For instance, OzNesCollector mentioned grades (colors) based on the offense. I think that time limits on the badge would be more appropriate.

Then there is also NO BUGGING DAIN IN PM EVERY WEEK about getting off the list, you know how long you're bearing your onus and when you've served your time, the icon drops.

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:20:57 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois
The system works. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:38:27 PM
Zoso471 (13)
(--Anthony --) < El Ripper >
Ontario
when i first saw the HoS icon on some peoples profiles, i figured i shouldnt even deal with those people. now that i see people like ars2pd and bella with it, and i know they really didnt "scam" anyone, those that have a HoS is such a gray area, it could mean many things.

so i agree with the colour coding. definitely helps clarify to what degree that person has time wasted/ scammed/ etc.

Jul 17, 2010 at 11:44:16 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Zoso471

so i agree with the colour coding. definitely helps clarify to what degree that person has time wasted/ scammed/ etc.

If you don't mind me asking -- if one doesn't know the nature of the HoS icon to begin with, how would one know what a specific color meant? Or that there WERE even different colors if one's exposure to the forums were limited to only a few threads/people?

Jul 18, 2010 at 1:04:08 AM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
It is a interesting subject. I use the icon as a reminder to go see what is up with the individual. If they are in the HOS for a reason I disagree with, then I will probably deal with them...I think it is there so you know to do your research and form your own opinion.

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Jul 18, 2010 at 1:10:28 AM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
Originally posted by: dangevin

Originally posted by: Zoso471

If you don't mind me asking -- if one doesn't know the nature of the HoS icon to begin with, how would one know what a specific color meant? Or that there WERE even different colors if one's exposure to the forums were limited to only a few threads/people?

Quiz before becoming a member!! 

Edited: 07/18/2010 at 01:10 AM by removed-07-06-2016