Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Bases Loaded Contest ends Sunday, 8/11/13 at 10 PM NA time

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:57:37 AM
ag1052 (36)
(Alex Guerra) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Thats the only score Im gonna be posting this week. I know a lot of you have happy memories of this game from your childhood but I just cant seem to get into it. Im gonna spend the rest of the week practicing up for one of the other games I think I may have a shot at winning later on in the contest.

-------------------------

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:00:09 AM
ag1052 (36)
Texas
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

^You picked my favorite team and pitcher I always play as Boston with Fine as my pitcher. Only problem is that when you pick Boston, you have to go up against Jersey first and their powerhouse slugger in Paste. Seems like that guy hits a home run almost any time he hits the ball, regardless if you're playing as Jersey or if the computer selects them.

Not with my strategy he doesn't. Paste is as good as pasted!!! Mwhaha!

I used your stratagy and thanks so much (it made the game go by a lot faster). But the problem is if I dont know what Im doing when Im batting Im gonna be terrible too. It worked just like you said but since I couldnt really score we went into extra inning and Bopper got tired too. I tried switching out a pitcher again but I just picked someone at random and it didnt work out so well.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:13:04 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: ag1052

^You picked my favorite team and pitcher I always play as Boston with Fine as my pitcher. Only problem is that when you pick Boston, you have to go up against Jersey first and their powerhouse slugger in Paste. Seems like that guy hits a home run almost any time he hits the ball, regardless if you're playing as Jersey or if the computer selects them.

I used your stratagy and thanks so much (it made the game go by a lot faster). But the problem is if I dont know what Im doing when Im batting Im gonna be terrible too. It worked just like you said but since I couldnt really score we went into extra inning and Bopper got tired too. I tried switching out a pitcher again but I just picked someone at random and it didnt work out so well.

No problem! Although I want to try to win these every week,we're all friends here,so I want everyone to do well. I'm trying to work on a good batting strategy. I do know that if you take a few pitches on purpose you can get his pitch count up and wear him out faster. Waiting on pitches helps keep you from fouling them off as much. And I know it can be tricky,but with some practice you can trick the infielders in a run down and eventually cause them to make a mistake.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:18:36 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

No problem! Although I want to try to win these every week,we're all friends here,so I want everyone to do well. I'm trying to work on a good batting strategy. I do know that if you take a few pitches on purpose you can get his pitch count up and wear him out faster. Waiting on pitches helps keep you from fouling them off as much. And I know it can be tricky,but with some practice you can trick the infielders in a run down and eventually cause them to make a mistake.

Too bad pitching well doesn't change the score this week

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:18:37 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

lol, I would like to know who came up with the names of the players in this game.  Paste? Really? What kind of a name is that? lol.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:03:39 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

lol, I would like to know who came up with the names of the players in this game.  Paste? Really? What kind of a name is that? lol.

Better than the umpire names. Lol. And although beastly pitching doesn't count,it still feels good to render your opposition completely powerless. Plus it makes the game go by quicker,which means you can play more games.

UPDATE: For Boston,my strategy only works for the following pitchers: Gross,Bopper,and Bakko. Bakko is a lefty,so you hold left on the D-pad instead of right. Still works. I don't know about which pitchers this works for on other teams,but if the batters make ANY kind of contact with the ball,then it doesn't work for that pitcher.

Edited: 08/08/2013 at 04:07 AM by gutsman004

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:23:48 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Deleted due to new score.

Edited: 08/09/2013 at 03:52 PM by gutsman004

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:30:20 PM
ag1052 (36)
Texas

Scores as of 8/8/13 at 1:40 PM

13 – gutsman004
13 – mattyjmania
12 – TheGameBastard
11 – fatalfuryspecial
1 – ag1052

hahahaha! looking at this all I can think of is the Sesame Street song "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong..."

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:36:48 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Scores as of 8/8/13 at 1:40 PM

13 – gutsman004
13 – mattyjmania
12 – TheGameBastard
11 – fatalfuryspecial
1 – ag1052

hahahaha! looking at this all I can think of is the Sesame Street song "One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong..."

That's when you point to your Mario Bros. score and say check this out!

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:37:13 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
Ugh, no wonder I preferred Bad News Baseball. Score coming soon.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:47:57 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Heads up for you guys and Bimmy. The rules state that you need to play a whole game, which mean that ag1052 score at the 3rd inning isn't valid.

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:59:53 PM
ag1052 (36)
Texas
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Heads up for you guys and Bimmy. The rules state that you need to play a whole game, which mean that ag1052 score at the 3rd inning isn't valid.

no I played a full game.. it was 13 innings thats why the scoreboard looks funny.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:00:03 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida

Yeah, this wasn't very fun to play. Hahaha.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:04:31 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

no I played a full game.. it was 13 innings thats why the scoreboard looks funny.

Oh sorry man, I think I should learn how to read

Anyway, this would means that gutsman 15 runs game would not count, but I think it is unfair cause it is not his fault. Bimmy, what do you think about that? If the CPU crashes the game like it did for guts, could the game count? This would be quite a bummer to have a super game that crashes at the 8th inning or something like that.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:29:25 PM
ag1052 (36)
Texas

Anyway, this would means that gutsman 15 runs game would not count, but I think it is unfair cause it is not his fault. Bimmy, what do you think about that? If the CPU crashes the game like it did for guts, could the game count? This would be quite a bummer to have a super game that crashes at the 8th inning or something like that.

its cool... I knew as soon as the scoreboard reset at 11 innings that my score would look fishy. I wasnt even sure if the contest would allow me to keep going in extra inning but I had to finish off the game. Either way I only am trying to get participation points this round. Ill be more competitive next week.

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:31:08 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

It's not a big deal man. I'll just try again. It sucks as my computer didn't crash,just the game itself froze. I guess it gave up from my thrashing. The rules say a full game,so I don't expect it to count....I just wanted to show what happened and how bad I was beating down the computer.

Edited: 08/08/2013 at 03:44 PM by gutsman004

Aug 8, 2013 at 3:50:22 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
6 (L, 6-7)

This game is definitely a new experience. I don't play a lot of sports games and this is the first baseball game I've played, outside of Atari ones, that didn't have the main camera angle by the catcher. It's a challenge, but the game is overall better than I expected. This may be it for me this week since I'm working all weekend so I'll just get my participation point in now. I'll see if I can squeeze a few more games in.

Edited: 08/08/2013 at 03:50 PM by EgasKrad

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:23:42 AM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:42:04 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Updated my score. Should have had over 20 runs,but my power hitters decided to hit into double plays and fly out instead of getting hits or smashing home runs. I bet I left 15 runners on base.

A few observations about Boston as a team and the game. Boston's 6-7-8 hitters are terrible. I consistently get more hits with my pitchers than those losers. Boston's lead off hitter is not that good. For a guy whose stats say .321 avg 28 hrs he sure doesn't hit many home runs or even get on base. The computer fielders make the logical plays sometimes,and sometimes they are dumber than freaking rocks. Often foul balls will be called fair. A pitcher is automatically pulled after giving up 5 runs.You have to swing at 98% of the pitches thrown as the strike zone is enormous.Pretty much anything from the top of your head to your shoes is a strike as well as anything near either side of the catcher. Every fielder has a cannon for an arm. And why the pitcher throws to a base to try to pick off my runners when I make zero attempts to ever steal a base is beyond me.

Edited: 08/09/2013 at 01:14 PM by gutsman004

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:16:50 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Wow... I played a few innings of this and I suck balls at this. Not to mention my intense hatred of all of these "ball" games. I'm out this week, as I can't stand this for more than 4 innings of this shit...

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:10:44 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I ended up being able to get a game in this week. The batting view ruins this one for me. 3

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:27:44 PM
hitmantommy (26)
(Thomas R) < Crack Trooper >
Manitoba
Still trying to muster up the patience to give this one another try. I had one game on Sunday night and lost something like 13-1. I was always more of an RBI Baseball or Little League Baseball fan growing up.

Two Crude Dudes Podcast- www.tcdpodcast.blogspot.ca  
Twitter- tcdhitmantommy   Instagram- hitmantommy

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:52:07 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
UPDATE
8 (W, 8-0)

I did this yesterday before bed. I'm glad I decided to try each team once, but I wish Hawaii wasn't my last. For the most part, I had the pitching down well (I gave up 5 runs total in my first 3 games) but batting was an issue. Although all my runs came in the sixth inning, this was still my best performance.

I noticed this game is getting a lot of hostility this week, and I do understand it. The mechanics can be wonky at times and as I stated in my previous post, the camera angle is odd. I still feel its better than I thought it would be, since most reviews I read ahead of time were bad to average, but I still don't plan on buying it anytime soon.

Also, I made a mistake in my earlier post. I work all next weekend and I'm actually off tomorrow, so I'm going to be playing more tomorrow.

Edited: 08/09/2013 at 01:52 PM by EgasKrad

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:48:18 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: EgasKrad

UPDATE
8 (W, 8-0)

I did this yesterday before bed. I'm glad I decided to try each team once, but I wish Hawaii wasn't my last. For the most part, I had the pitching down well (I gave up 5 runs total in my first 3 games) but batting was an issue. Although all my runs came in the sixth inning, this was still my best performance.

I noticed this game is getting a lot of hostility this week, and I do understand it. The mechanics can be wonky at times and as I stated in my previous post, the camera angle is odd. I still feel its better than I thought it would be, since most reviews I read ahead of time were bad to average, but I still don't plan on buying it anytime soon.

Also, I made a mistake in my earlier post. I work all next weekend and I'm actually off tomorrow, so I'm going to be playing more tomorrow.

I can understand the hostility. Yes the batters' view is odd and playing the game can feel like a grind since it's not as fast paced as many other baseball games,but it really is a great game. As far as the batting goes,definitely wait on pitches as usually you will hit a ball foul or pop out/ground out if you swing as soon as you are able to hit the ball.

Also if the pitch is low and inside/outside or high inside/outside,make sure you swing towards or away from that pitch to increase your chances of a hit,e.g. low and away pitch,swing low and towards the ball. Swinging just low you'll probably make contact,but foul it off or get an out. You can also get out of run downs with some practice as well.
I also tried to do my pitching trick using DC...it doesn't work for any of the pitchers on that team.

Edited: 08/09/2013 at 03:57 PM by gutsman004

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:51:45 PM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
i have been trying all week to top my previous score and had no luck. must have been some kind of beginners luck. i feel like my game has improved a whole bunch, my pitching is pretty good, and i feel like i can hit just about anything. but unfortunately it hasn't resulted in more runs. most of my hits just end up being flys right to the outfielders. it has resulted in a "more realistic" baseball experience than my first try at the beginning of the week. won some games. mostly single digit final scores by winning about 3 runs. i actually kinda like the "tv angle" pitching/batting setup. its not great but i like the presentation of the game overall.

i will probably get a hotdog and a beer and give it one more session before the deadline, but the way its been going im not expecting a better score. i am having a good time trying out a new game though!