Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Zelda: A Link to the Past Prototypes? Do they even exist?

May 31, 2015 at 11:35:23 AM
Guggles (15)

(Guggle Wok) < Crack Trooper >
Hawaii
These are both US versions of the game. The Japanese Zelda launch date was 11/21/91 and the ROM date is actually 11/27/91. The US release was April 92. This is a 0.0 version so its the first US version used for testing (an Alpha version). I'll need to dig out my SNES to check it, but my guess is that some, but not all of the following changes are implemented in this build (i.e. kind of a 1/2 Japanese. 1/2 US version, Text is probably not final, not all the religious changes have been made yet, etc. . .).

Here are the known changes from the Wiki:

The English language localization included changes to the original Japanese game. The most common change was the removal of religious references to conform with Nintendo of America's content guidelines. The most obvious change was made to the subtitle of the game, which was renamed from Kamigami no Triforce (lit. "The Triforce of the Gods") to A Link to the Past. The "Sanctuary" in which Zelda hides during the first act is quite obviously modeled on the Christian chapel, with rows of pews, stained glass windows, a raised chancel and altar, but it contains no overt religious symbols, and the dialogue of characters within it was simplified to remove any religious implication. The font used to represent an unreadable language, Hylian, originally had designs of a vulture and an ankh. These designs were based on Egyptian hieroglyphs which carry religious meanings, and they were altered in the English version. The localization also changed plot details included in the instruction manual. The priest Agahnim became a wizard, and his background, which originally implied that he was sent by the gods, was altered to remove any celestial origin.[20]

Regarding Sim City, you'll notice that its an E.1 and E.2 version. Because it was a text heavy game, perhaps only the "game" rom needed changes in this particular case (or vice versa). I can guarantee that it plays fine though and was told that it was intended to be this way. If the checksums are different, then maybe there's a surprise in there still? I think the Mario statue (to replace the mayor statue) was added late after much negotiation . . .

Anything that is an E version is much rarer and should be considered a pre-Alpha (may or may not include things included in the final version of the game).

May 31, 2015 at 2:32:33 PM
snescentral (0)
(Evan Gowan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Japan
For Sim City, it depends. What are the sizes of the chips? If both chips are 512 kB, then I would suspect that each chip contains a separate build of the game. The text in the game is on the second half of the binary, but it really doesn't take up a significant portion of the memory. The SNES will not read the second chip if the first chip has the full game on it. I find it a bit hard to believe that they would be able to use the second half of the binary with a different build of the first half. Of course, if both chips are 256k, it has to be the case.