NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Should I sell Stadium Events for $2000?

LOCKED TOPIC

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:50:42 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Well when I say "collectors" I meant in the scope of this site. If there's so many CIB guys out there, then why aren't they on this site? Perfect is the newest CIB guy to the site, before him it was Zill, but Zill bought CIB populars/rare and Sealed commons... meaning he'll be fully sealed one day.

Frisbee does MINT CIBs, but mostly Black Boxes. NGD is a CIB guy, but he already is done the NES scene and has moved to DS Demos / Sachen / etc. MRN does CIB and Sealed, but if he could chose between a CIB and Sealed of the same game, he'd pick sealed (meaning CIBs are placeholders). Cremorecs bought a lot of my CIBs during my sell-off, so I'd say he is a solid CIB guy. Otherwise I'm not thinking of any names...

No matter what the numbers are now, two things are certain. 1 - More new sealed collectors are coming into NA than CIB collectors, and 2 - Some CIB collectors are converting to sealed. Sealed collectors will outnumber CIB guys one day if it hasn't already happened.

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:54:41 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: jonebone

No matter what the numbers are now, two things are certain. 1 - More new sealed collectors are coming into NA than CIB collectors, and 2 - Some CIB collectors are converting to sealed. Sealed collectors will outnumber CIB guys one day if it hasn't already happened.

Sealed collectors may very well out number CIB collectors some day, but I don't think they're even in the ball park yet.

I guess it depends on what you consider a CIB collector to be.  My brother for instance is often labeled a cart-only collector, but has well over 400 CIB games in his collection.  Sealed game?  None at the moment. 

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:27:45 PM
ars2pd (181)
(aRs !) < King Solomon >
Missouri
I will never be a sealed collector, period. I do this as a hobby (very OCD though), and refuse to pay $1,000+ for a common game, even if it is very rare sealed. For 1) I can't play the game if its sealed, and the whole reason I collect is based off of enjoyment of playing with my gf and past childhood memories, and for 2) There is so much shadiness going on with the sealed scene (i.e. reseals) it just isn't worth getting dicked over to me. Just as what happened with pooch and his Sqoon, anything like that can happen and I'm not willing to take a $1,000 hit.

I do understand the purpose of collecting sealed, having it super minty, and as a display item, just as ppl don't play with old baseball cards or comic books, but that isn't me.

The only items I collect sealed are Nintendo era merchandise, just for the fact I enjoy items being complete and have never been a fan of loose items.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:51:39 PM
caveman_games (32)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(chris leach) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Did you sell it yet?

"The one who dies with the most toys, Wins!"

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:15:29 PM
ars2pd (181)
(aRs !) < King Solomon >
Missouri
Originally posted by: randomhajile

Ok, well it is officially sold. I was wire transfered the money this morning and sent the cart overnight registered mail in the afternoon. In all, I think I'm fine with it as I didn't have a specific attachment to it outside of it being really rare. There are other valuable things I have that would probably hurt my heart to sell (autographed jimi hendrix album, autographed power glove, various comics) much more than this did. So I'm ok with it.

Also for the record I bought it for $2.99 at Funcoland wayyyyyyyy back in 1999. It was priced as being "Track and Field". When I bought it I had no idea it was so rare though. I was just like "hey, I don't have this and it's cheap".

I also distinctly remember seeing Flintstones 2 many times there for under $10 (which I did not buy, because I was a cheapskate). Gamestop was so much better when it was Funcoland, let me tell ya.

according to this, it is sold.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:19:41 PM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
when was the last se on ebay

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:36:16 PM
pedro! (24)
(Pedro Games) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
$2000 was what my copy went for almost two years ago.

WWW.PEDROGAMES.COM

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:49:46 PM
PeRFecT (5)
(Nes World) < Little Mac >
Saskatchewan
I personally would keep the cart & just work on the 14 remaining carts you need.

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:11:05 AM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Wait... I'm off here for most of the day and come back and find out I'm now a sealed collector? Just because I have about 400 of the set Sealed does not mean that I'm a sealed collector. I am a MINT HOAR yes, and if I find a good deal, make a big trade, or find them cheap I will trade up to sealed. I have no intention of collecting a sealed set though. I am also a variant hunter and if I collected sealed only then I'd never be able to collect variants.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:44:42 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

Originally posted by: jonebone

Sealed collectors may very well out number CIB collectors some day, but I don't think they're even in the ball park yet.

I guess it depends on what you consider a CIB collector to be.  My brother for instance is often labeled a cart-only collector, but has well over 400 CIB games in his collection.  Sealed game?  None at the moment. 

I do not think sealed will ever outnumber CIB personally. Mainly due to scarcity and the financial aspects involved. I do think the sealed collectors seem to be more "in the spotlight" so they gain more notoriety, especially on collector sites such as this.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:48:48 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Braveheart69

Wait... I'm off here for most of the day and come back and find out I'm now a sealed collector? Just because I have about 400 of the set Sealed does not mean that I'm a sealed collector. I am a MINT HOAR yes, and if I find a good deal, make a big trade, or find them cheap I will trade up to sealed. I have no intention of collecting a sealed set though. I am also a variant hunter and if I collected sealed only then I'd never be able to collect variants.

Looks like the "sealies" have claimed you as one of their own

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:50:29 AM
caveman_games (32)
(chris leach) < Meka Chicken >
United States
What about the "Metal Sealies"?
Can they be made a group too....maybe we take a lot of "Sealies" and make them stacked in a pile to forma "MetaL Sealie"????

"The one who dies with the most toys, Wins!"

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:55:14 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Wouldn't they form a King Sealy?

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:53:08 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: Braveheart69

Looks like the "sealies" have claimed you as one of their own

pretty sure it was the loose/cib guys calling him a sealie, actually.   Us sealies know better

At the end of the day I think the better way to break it down, in terms of how people relate to grade and price in any hobby, is:

1) collectors that look minimize cost - self explanatory

2) collectors that look to maximize value - they like high grade example but they aren't fixated on it and if the price is right will look at alternates.   "Bang for the buck."  

3) collectors that want the best example possible, screw the cost.   Probably even willing to just not collect something at all if they can't get the condition they want. 

E can speak for himself but I'd guess he's somewhere between 2 & 3 but leaning to 2.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:11:11 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
sealies? does that make me a loosie? hmmmm

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:46:08 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: zi

And people that collect CIB would be ceebees...

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:11:30 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: zi

hehehe

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:09:42 AM
Ze_ro (0)
(Brad Johnson) < Tourian Tourist >
Manitoba
Originally posted by: randomhajile

There are other valuable things I have that would probably hurt my heart to sell (autographed jimi hendrix album, autographed power glove, various comics) much more than this did.

Completely off-topic... but who signed your Power Glove? Please say it was Lucas...

Congrats on the sale. I think you did the right thing... but then, I'm perfectly content with a cheap reproduction of Stadium Events, so maybe I'm in the minority around here.

--Zero

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:02:16 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
Well this thread gave me a good laugh.