Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Tyson Punch Out 5 Screw

May 23, 2018 at 10:14:32 PM
JimmySweatpants (2)

< Little Mac >
Wisconsin
Quite a while ago I heard about the NES game 5 screw variant thing and since I had a couple already I thought it would be cool to start collecting them.  I bought a few cheap ones and kind of let it go until I found a Tyson Punch Out with 5 screws and bought it from a guy for $75.  I thought that was a fair price since it was like 4-5 times what I thought was normal and I knew it was rarer.  The label wasn’t perfect but I thought it was decent enough.  I didn’t even know about checking inside to see if it was authentic until I watched a video about it a few weeks ago.
So now I’m not sure if it’s really legitimate or not.  I’m not looking to sell it, in fact I’m going to start collecting more 5 screw games.  I just want an expert opinion on this and what it might be worth with the label issues if it’s legit.  And would it be worth getting a replacement label or does that make the value worse?
Also, is there really a Mega Man 5 screw game?  I keep seeing that there is one but price lists I’ve seen don’t even have a price next to it.  I thought that was weird.PO1PO5PO4PO2PO3

May 23, 2018 at 11:23:31 PM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
The game is legit, for sure, and honestly the label isn't perfect but it's good enough.

Whatever you do, DO NOT replace the label with a reproduction label. This is far worse, in terms of destroying value, than even the shittiest real label would be. Basically, as far as collectors go, a reproduction label is equivalent to no label at all.

-------------------------

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

May 23, 2018 at 11:53:33 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Interesting cuz mine doesn't have the stamp on the back label either.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

May 23, 2018 at 11:57:01 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
If you're looking to collect 5 screw, are you sure you want to get rid of this after only paying $75?

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

May 24, 2018 at 12:21:46 AM
rockyyaknow (79)
(Dave ) < El Ripper >
New Hampshire
Yes there is a Mega Man 5 screw, extremely rare however.

My NES no death runs

Mega Man 1   6/29/18   00:43:30   Mega Man 2   5/10/18   00:46:08   Mega Man 2   8/18/18   00:43:35 (difficult)   
Mega Man 3   6/25/18   01:13:32   Mega Man 4   6/02/18   01:23:13   Mega Man 5   6/17/18   01:01:09
Mega Man 6   6/22/18   01:09:55   Mega Man 7   7/18/18   01:19:09   Mega Man In the Mushroom Kingdom 7/01/18  00:40:50
Duck Tales     1/05/19   00:15:49   Chip n Dale    1/06/19   00:16:18   Duck Tales 2  1/09/19   00:23:18

Mega Man X   8/28/18   01:39:02   Mega Man x2  9/01/18   01:27:32  Mega Man x3  9/12/18   01:46:40
Mega Man 11 6/24/19   01:00:31

May 24, 2018 at 1:17:19 AM
NESfiend (25)
(Travis ) < El Ripper >
Missouri
Originally posted by: rockyyaknow

Yes there is a Mega Man 5 screw, extremely rare however.

I bid on an ebay auction for one where the seller didn't list it as anything but a mega man 1 cart. I had just started collecting and knew the 5 screw was more rare, but didn't understand the extent. It was a 40 dollar cart or so at the time and the 5 screw didnt go for much more than that. I missed getting a bid in and it still irks me.

May 24, 2018 at 3:21:14 AM
JimmySweatpants (2)

< Little Mac >
Wisconsin

Edited: 05/24/2018 at 03:45 AM by JimmySweatpants

May 24, 2018 at 3:21:59 AM
JimmySweatpants (2)

< Little Mac >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: guitarzombie

Now that you mention that I guess I should have had an extreme close-up of the back label because there is a stamp in the upper left but it's extremely light.  I believe it is 00.  I don't know what that really means, however.

Edited: 05/24/2018 at 03:46 AM by JimmySweatpants

May 24, 2018 at 3:26:40 AM
JimmySweatpants (2)

< Little Mac >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: coffeewithmrsaturn

If you're looking to collect 5 screw, are you sure you want to get rid of this after only paying $75?

No, I'm keeping it.  In my original post I sad, "I’m not looking to sell it, in fact I’m going to start collecting more 5 screw games."

May 24, 2018 at 3:49:25 AM
JimmySweatpants (2)

< Little Mac >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: OptOut

The game is legit, for sure, and honestly the label isn't perfect but it's good enough.

Whatever you do, DO NOT replace the label with a reproduction label. This is far worse, in terms of destroying value, than even the shittiest real label would be. Basically, as far as collectors go, a reproduction label is equivalent to no label at all.
That's good to know about the label.  Thanks.

May 24, 2018 at 9:04:57 AM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: JimmySweatpants

Originally posted by: coffeewithmrsaturn

No, I'm keeping it.  In my original post I sad, "I’m not looking to sell it, in fact I’m going to start collecting more 5 screw games."

Ah yes, I misread that in my fatigue  

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

May 25, 2018 at 5:29:13 PM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Sells for a few hundred if I'm not mistaken.

May the force be with you.

May 26, 2018 at 12:15:19 AM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Do you not realize that 100% of the value of a rare 5 screw is in the label? Without the real label, it's just a random case swap worth nothing that anyone can make.

May 26, 2018 at 8:56:01 AM
Nesmaniac (3)
(Matthew Sizemore) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
I've been wanting to find one of these for a while now. I have a lot of 5 screw carts just missing a few but never really was sure there was a 5 screw MTP-O because I never had seen one.

May 26, 2018 at 11:40:23 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Originally posted by: OptOut

That's good to know about the label.  Thanks.

If I saw a 5 screw MTPO with a replacement label, first thing I would think is that the person took a 3 screw MTPO board and put it in a common 5 screw game's shell. 

May 26, 2018 at 12:22:37 PM
Lostlevel88 (1)
(Michael Wilson) < Cherub >
Mississippi
Doesn't the 5 screw have the white bullet points on the label as opposed to the orange ? I thought the orange bullet points were on the later silver seal release?

May 26, 2018 at 4:10:47 PM
JimmySweatpants (2)

< Little Mac >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: Lostlevel88

Doesn't the 5 screw have the white bullet points on the label as opposed to the orange ? I thought the orange bullet points were on the later silver seal release?
Your post made me Google images of 5 screw Tyson Punch Out games.  I had not even known there were different labels.  It looks to me like the 5 screws are about 50/50 orange and white.  I wonder if that makes a difference to people or if one is rarer than the other.

May 26, 2018 at 4:26:20 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Your post made me Google images of 5 screw Tyson Punch Out games.  I had not even known there were different labels.  It looks to me like the 5 screws are about 50/50 orange and white.  I wonder if that makes a difference to people or if one is rarer than the other.

I don't know if anyone has researched it to make a judgment. 5 screw Tysons are so rare that I think people are just happy to get ahold of either one.

If someone could find evidence one is rarer than the other, that would change things.

May 26, 2018 at 4:40:23 PM
JimmySweatpants (2)

< Little Mac >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: Tulpa

I don't know if anyone has researched it to make a judgment. 5 screw Tysons are so rare that I think people are just happy to get ahold of either one.

If someone could find evidence one is rarer than the other, that would change things.

OK, now I want to find the white bullet point one to have both, lol.

May 28, 2018 at 5:37:09 PM
fusoyaff2 (44)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Well crap, I just checked my 5 screw MTPO and it has the orange text. And here I was thinking that as soon as I found a 5 screw Star Force, my variant collection would be complete.....

May 31, 2018 at 1:02:09 AM
NESJumpman (0)
(NES Jumpman) < Tourian Tourist >
Wisconsin
is this post considered the best list of 3/5-screw variants?

May 31, 2018 at 9:58:05 AM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York

Now that you mention that I guess I should have had an extreme close-up of the back label because there is a stamp in the upper left but it's extremely light.  I believe it is 00.  I don't know what that really means, however.

Oh I didn't doubt it was legit. The one I got didn't have the right screws in, and the back label doesn't have that print on it.  Also when looking at the Program Chip date when it was stamped, it was REALLY early, like late Nov of 87.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.

May 31, 2018 at 10:00:42 AM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Originally posted by: NESJumpman

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&thr...
Yeah, but heres an idea of rarity:

Mega Man
MTPO
Star Force

Those three are over $300 if you buy them individually

Gotcha 
Jaws
These are worth about $100 I think

Alpha Mission
Goonies II
Super Pitfall
These are about $20.

After that, none of the 5 screw variants add any extra value.  So keep a keen eye but as you get towards the end, you'll probably have to drop some big coin.  Also Stadium Events also comes in a 5 screw version, only 2 known so good luck on that haha. 

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:15:38 PM
JimmySweatpants (2)

< Little Mac >
Wisconsin

Mega Man
MTPO
Star Force

Gotcha 
Jaws

Alpha Mission
Goonies II
Super Pitfall
These are about $20.

After that, none of the 5 screw variants add any extra value.  So keep a keen eye but as you get towards the end, you'll probably have to drop some big coin.  Also Stadium Events also comes in a 5 screw version, only 2 known so good luck on that haha. 

Jun 1, 2018 at 1:26:49 PM
JimmySweatpants (2)

< Little Mac >
Wisconsin

Mega Man
MTPO
Star Force

Gotcha 
Jaws

Alpha Mission
Goonies II
Super Pitfall
These are about $20.

Yeah, I thought it would be cool to collect all the 5-screw games since I have about 7 of them already.  Then I found out there are 80-some of them but I thought, "OK, it will be fun spending several years piecing it together."  But then I saw Mega Man was really hard to find.  I literally have not seen one for sale or seen a price on a price list to get a sense of how much it would cost to buy.  I was willing to maybe pay a couple hundred for a good one but can't even locate one.  Then someone pointed out the bullet points on the MTPO labels and I realized there might be variants of variants!  Then I found out some of those super rare, tens-of-thousands of dollars, games are 5-screw as well and I know there's no way I'll ever own those.

So now the shine is definitely off that idea.  I want a collection that I can actually complete.  I don't like the idea of a collection that perpetually has holes in it.  I'm too OC for that.  Now I'm starting to think how much stuff for Switch I could get for dumping them.