Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The most advanced digital to analog converter ever made Worth it for $80?

Sep 13 at 11:33:53 AM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States

-------------------------
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Sep 13 at 11:45:46 AM
Californication (34)

< Meka Chicken >
So the Mega SG has a sound upgrade over the regular genesis, but if you want to connect to a CRT wouldn't it be easier to use original hardware?

Sep 13 at 11:54:52 AM
LostLevel83 (142)
< Meka Chicken >
Oklahoma
I wonder if this would be a solution for someone seeking to play their AVS (HDMI output only) on an old TV or PVM.

I like pizza.

Sep 13 at 11:59:53 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Californication

So the Mega SG has a sound upgrade over the regular genesis, but if you want to connect to a CRT wouldn't it be easier to use original hardware?

I think I'm probably the target market for this (I'm preordering once I get to my computer) so I'll speak to this - simply put, I don't have original hardware. I HAVE a Super NT and a Mega SG, AND I am planning on picking up a pvm. This literally couldn't have appeared at a better time, as I was contemplating what to do about actually playing games on the pvm. I WAS going to have to go out and buy OG hardware just for the little tv I plan to hide in my bedroom for when my wife is using the tv in the living room. But now with this I can simply grab the console of choice for my current play session and take it to the bedroom ezpz, and arrording to them I'll get basically the best output possible.

I see thin as an absolute win.

Sep 13 at 12:00:20 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Wait a sec......

Am I reading this correctly?  The only video out option is VGA.  How many CRTs take VGA input? 

No thanks.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Edited: 09/13/2019 at 12:01 PM by tbone3969

Sep 13 at 12:03:48 PM
Californication (34)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: Gloves

I think I'm probably the target market for this (I'm preordering once I get to my computer) so I'll speak to this - simply put, I don't have original hardware. I HAVE a Super NT and a Mega SG, AND I am planning on picking up a pvm. This literally couldn't have appeared at a better time, as I was contemplating what to do about actually playing games on the pvm. I WAS going to have to go out and buy OG hardware just for the little tv I plan to hide in my bedroom for when my wife is using the tv in the living room. But now with this I can simply grab the console of choice for my current play session and take it to the bedroom ezpz, and arrording to them I'll get basically the best output possible. I see thin as an absolute win.

i see. To a different point if you connect an analogue console to a TV using this rather than hooking up an original console would you expect the picture to be any better?

Sep 13 at 12:05:03 PM
Californication (34)

< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: tbone3969

Wait a sec......

Am I reading this correctly?  The only video out option is VGA.  How many CRTs take VGA input? 

No thanks.

If you scroll to the bottom it says composite, RGB, etc.

Sep 13 at 12:08:58 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

I think I'm probably the target market for this (I'm preordering once I get to my computer) so I'll speak to this - simply put, I don't have original hardware. I HAVE a Super NT and a Mega SG, AND I am planning on picking up a pvm. This literally couldn't have appeared at a better time, as I was contemplating what to do about actually playing games on the pvm. I WAS going to have to go out and buy OG hardware just for the little tv I plan to hide in my bedroom for when my wife is using the tv in the living room. But now with this I can simply grab the console of choice for my current play session and take it to the bedroom ezpz, and arrording to them I'll get basically the best output possible. I see thin as an absolute win.

i see. To a different point if you connect an analogue console to a TV using this rather than hooking up an original console would you expect the picture to be any better?

If I understand correctly, isn't this just hdmi in, other out?

Sep 13 at 12:09:42 PM
ginoscope (20)
(Gino R.) < Meka Chicken >
Texas

Wait a sec......

No thanks.

They could have done a better job explaining how this works.  I think it's a vga port that can output RGB, Component, s-video, and composite.  You just need the correct cable.

It's how the nt mini was wired.

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360033732531-A...

Sep 13 at 12:09:55 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States

Wait a sec......

No thanks.

If you scroll to the bottom it says composite, RGB, etc.

Yeah but it only has one VGA output.  I think what they mean is those signals are on the VGA out and you'd have to buy a converter.  Look at the diagram of the actual device.   Only one Video Out and two audio out (left & right stereo).  That's it.

Sep 13 at 12:11:26 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: ginoscope

Wait a sec......

No thanks.

They could have done a better job explaining how this works.  I think it's a vga port that can output RGB, Component, s-video, and composite.  You just need the correct cable.

It's how the nt mini was wired.

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360033732531-A...

Too much nonsense for me when you could just hook up the original hardware to the CRT.  Unless the picture would be better than OG hardware which I doubt.  Thoughts?

Edited: 09/13/2019 at 12:13 PM by tbone3969

Sep 13 at 12:12:52 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States

If I understand correctly, isn't this just hdmi in, other out?
Yes.  It's digital signal in (HDMI) and then converted to an analogue signal via VGA out. 

Edited: 09/13/2019 at 12:13 PM by tbone3969

Sep 13 at 12:15:21 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: LostLevel83

I wonder if this would be a solution for someone seeking to play their AVS (HDMI output only) on an old TV or PVM.

I think this device would work on the AVS but can't be 100% sure until someone tries it.

Sep 13 at 12:18:33 PM
ginoscope (20)
(Gino R.) < Meka Chicken >
Texas

I think this device would work on the AVS but can't be 100% sure until someone tries it.

From what I read I think this will only work on analouge devices.  I could be wrong but not sure it will work on any standard hdmi out system.  I'm guessing the NT and the SG are sending out a different signal when outputting to the DAC.  

Sep 13 at 12:27:18 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: ginoscope

From what I read I think this will only work on analouge devices.  I could be wrong but not sure it will work on any standard hdmi out system.  I'm guessing the NT and the SG are sending out a different signal when outputting to the DAC.  

On the site it only says it "supports" the Analogue line, but of course this COULD simply be marketing - no real need to mention your competitors being the mindset. Of course, if it DOES support other consoles a simple "and others" or whatever would have sufficed as well as brought in potentially more buyers.

Sep 13 at 12:34:50 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
There's no reason it shouldn't work with standard HDMI input from other consoles.

They have good products which I think you can attribute to kevtris but the overwhelming smugness from these guys really makes it hard to give them any money

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Sep 13 at 12:42:37 PM
ICrappedMyPants (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Lincoln

There's no reason it shouldn't work with standard HDMI input from other consoles.

They have good products which I think you can attribute to kevtris but the overwhelming smugness from these guys really makes it hard to give them any money
This is so true. Their shipping charges are outrageous as well.

This is a hard pass for me. I’d rather just hook up my original hardware to my PVM.

I bought a Super NT and it is convenient for playing on my regular tv. However, I have no desire to hook it up to my PVM or regular crt.

Sep 13 at 12:49:13 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: punch-out!!84

This is a hard pass for me. I’d rather just hook up my original hardware to my PVM.

I bought a Super NT and it is convenient for playing on my regular tv. However, I have no desire to hook it up to my PVM or regular crt.

Seriously curious - what smugness? I may be out of the loop?

Sep 13 at 1:04:46 PM
Lincoln (138)
California

This is a hard pass for me. I'd rather just hook up my original hardware to my PVM.

Seriously curious - what smugness? I may be out of the loop?

All the copy in the page for this product reads like everything else is trash, look how much better we are. And it does look like an excellent product, but it sounds like the kind of bullshit you hear for nonsense audiophile products.

Also for me it goes back to the first analogue console (nt?), The one with harvested chips and the aluminum shell. They were putting themselves out there as the second coming of Jesus for that.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Sep 13 at 1:11:23 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Yeah, more than one person has been gut punched by the shipping charges.

Sep 13 at 1:18:28 PM
Lincoln (138)
California
Originally posted by: Tulpa

what is shipping on this? I can't check it easy from my phone

Sep 13 at 1:20:56 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

Originally posted by: Tulpa

what is shipping on this? I can't check it easy from my phone
Looks like $17 to my area.

Sep 13 at 1:28:46 PM
ICrappedMyPants (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Shipping is $21 for me.

Sep 13 at 1:40:55 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
$35 shipping to me in Canada. Which is really $50 my money.

You guys have it incredibly easy with your tiny $15-20 fees.

Sep 13 at 1:41:56 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yeah, but you'd think for something the size of a pack of cigarettes the shipping would be like single digits.