Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA Beat Every NES Game In A Year - 2012 100% completed with two hours to spare

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:08:15 PM
12willieboy (1)
(William Roy) < Little Mac >
United Kingdom
smb2 done

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

-------------------------

Edited: 01/02/2012 at 05:11 PM by 12willieboy

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:14:58 PM
8-bit_boice (49)
(Josh Boice) < Meka Chicken >
Kansas
Wheel of Fortune, Wheel of Fortune Family Edition, Wheel of Fortune Jr., Wheel of Fortune Featuring Vanna White all done

Edited: 01/02/2012 at 05:45 PM by 8-bit_boice

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:00:09 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
You know, it's funny, I was gonna do the Wheel of Fortune games, then I chose to fire up DK Classics instead. Kinda glad I did now

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:00:52 PM
Nightowljrm (42)
(Joseph Morgan) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
I know it's not licensed, but I beat Robodemons just now.

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:03:16 PM
2Legit28Bit (170)
(Anthony Lazzari) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
My brother and I waxed River City Ransom
River City Ransom

Edited: 01/02/2012 at 06:03 PM by 2Legit28Bit

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:00:23 PM
scaryice (115)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: the tall guy

Go ahead and mark off the rest of the Mega Mans. Had myself a Mega Marathon when I couldn't sleep last night.

Any chance you can do a Koei marathon next time?

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (54 needed):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:13:51 PM
2Legit28Bit (170)
Pennsylvania
Rad Racer 2 is out of the way

Edited: 01/03/2012 at 05:56 AM by 2Legit28Bit

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:39:32 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I beat Dragon Warrior yesterday morning. The plan was to get it complete before the end of the year, but apparently I wasn't a high enough level (I could have sworn I managed it at level 19, but that was ages ago). After 4 attempts, I finally succumbed to some more grinding and got the extra level I needed. My MP was exhausted and I defeated the Dragon Lord on the last hit I had left. So, I guess it was good that I finished it this year so you can scratch it off the list.
Now I'm working on DWII.

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:45:04 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: scaryice

Go ahead and mark off the rest of the Mega Mans. Had myself a Mega Marathon when I couldn't sleep last night.

Haha, I don't think I'll ever have that kind of time...  or endurance. 

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:15:22 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

Haha, I don't think I'll ever have that kind of time...  or endurance. 

Indeed.  Not one of them can be beaten in a single day...think the quickest would still take at least 30 or so hours to complete, although maybe Uncharted Waters can be done quickly (I maxed out with my ships pretty quick once).

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:21:33 PM
2Legit28Bit (170)
Pennsylvania
scratch World Cup Soccer off the list
World Cup Soccer

Beat 10k (high score) in Pacman, Dont know if that is the "win" being counted in this thread.
Pacman 

Edited: 01/02/2012 at 08:21 PM by 2Legit28Bit

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:31:09 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
AdamL has this to say:

PAC-MAN (Namco)
-Pac-Man has an interesting history on the NES. It was first released by
Tengen as a licensed game in 1987, but when the Tetris fiasco caused Tengen to
become an unlicensed game company, the game did not officially exist for the
NES in Nintendo's eyes. Tengen released the game as an unlicensed black cart-
ridge as well, but it wasn't until Namco, an official Nintendo licensee and
the actual makers of Pac-Man themselves, released the game on the NES in 1993
that this all-time classic was considered an "official" NES game. Both the
Namco and Tengen (unlicensed and banned licensed versions) are identical, so
I will use this ending description for both games. There is no actual ending
to this game. It starts out innocent enough, as in the first stage the special
item is a cherry, then in Stage 2 it's a strawberry, until you reach Stage 13,
where the special item is a blue key. That will be the last new special item
you will get in this game. Each time you beat a stage from here on out the blue
key keeps showing up and by Stage 20, all 8 of your visible items are blue
keys. You will also no longer get the cute intermissions at this point. You
will keep playing the same stage over and over, without any hint of the game
ending. I kept playing, past Stage 255, where I thought the game might loop or
start back over with the cherry special item, but it didn't. Using a cheat
which allowed me to only gobble one dot to finish a stage (set address 006A
to value 01 if you are playing in an emulator), I motored through the stages
and eventually beat over 1000 stages with no hint of anything changing. The
built-in Hi-Score for the game is 10000 points, so you can either consider
beating that score as beating the game or getting all blue keys as beating it
or whatever floats your boat, because this is a repeater if I ever saw one.

Since it's scaryice's baby now, I'll let him decide on the criteria for this one, but I figured I'd post what I'd been using the last two years when determining my own completions

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:39:45 PM
Quack (68)
(Quack Quack) < King Solomon >
Florida
Just beat Trog....camera wasn't quick enough for the first screen, but got the next one and high score.

Mr Penguin O4 (9:01:18 PM): Quackenguin
SnappleSTG (9:01:28 PM): Pengenbush

Swing by my YouTube channel for a visit, and sub up while you're there! :)

Edited: 01/02/2012 at 09:11 PM by Quack

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:42:10 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
workin on Rockin Kats, almost there

**edit

beat Rockin' Kats, great game!!

excuse the quality, took a screenshot of the video i took from my phone.

Edited: 01/03/2012 at 04:45 PM by NESMASTER14

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:05:35 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: 2Legit28Bit

Beat 10k (high score) in Pacman, Dont know if that is the "win" being counted in this thread.
Pacman 

Did you do yours on the Namco or Tengen version? I did the same thing on the Namco one earlier, but both versions are on the list.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:38:44 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Originally posted by: 2Legit28Bit

Did you do yours on the Namco or Tengen version? I did the same thing on the Namco one earlier, but both versions are on the list.

Pac-Man is identical regardless of which version is played, so it should only be listed once.  Namco Ms. Pac-Man is different from Tengen Ms. Pac-Man, but it'd only be listed once due to this only being licensed games.  In short, we actually have more listed than we should have.

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:44:39 PM
2Legit28Bit (170)
Pennsylvania
I did it on a tengen cart but it doesnt really matter. I just did Ms Pacman but i didnt take a pic. I'll do it soon since its fairly simple.

At any rate, got a gold medal in Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular 

Forgot to put my tag on it but no biggie. Im not sure when I'll have another day off to sit around and 8 bit all day but I'm certainly looking forward to it

Edited: 01/02/2012 at 09:52 PM by 2Legit28Bit

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:14:00 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I'm confused on Ms. Pac-Man too. Even though the endings FAQ mentions the Tengen version having different modes, it has beating level 32 as the criteria for both versions. I've got the Namco one, but I'm not good enough at it to get that far.

Edited: 01/02/2012 at 10:14 PM by bearcat-doug

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:20:30 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
The Tengen one can be said to require all modes being completed first. I assume the level 32 thing is actually some kind of loop point in the game. I know the arcade does that, just not sure what level it's on when it does. But yeah, I haven't played either version cuz I'm terrible at all things Pac-Man and don't really enjoy the games anyway, so I have no idea if there's anything that can be considered completion earlier than that.

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:22:38 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I ended up knocking off 10 games today so I'm going to call it a night. If I feel adventurous tomorrow I'll give Duck Hunt a go. I've been trying to see if there really is a kill screen after level 99 anyway, but the farthest I've gotten so far is level 67.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:06:38 AM
scaryice (115)
Illinois

Originally posted by: ookii_risu

I beat Dragon Warrior yesterday morning. The plan was to get it complete before the end of the year, but apparently I wasn't a high enough level (I could have sworn I managed it at level 19, but that was ages ago).

I can't count this since you didn't complete it all in this year.

Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

PAC-MAN (Namco)

Since it's scaryice's baby now, I'll let him decide on the criteria for this one, but I figured I'd post what I'd been using the last two years when determining my own completions

If there's a game without a ending which just repeats the same stages, then I'd consider it beaten once you get to the point where it repeats and beat the high score. It'd be really unreasonable to make people reach the kill stage or something similar. So for Pac Man, that would just be beating the first stage. I think for Ms. Pac Man, that's the first 10 levels?

Pac-Man is identical regardless of which version is played, so it should only be listed once.  Namco Ms. Pac-Man is different from Tengen Ms. Pac-Man, but it'd only be listed once due to this only being licensed games.  In short, we actually have more listed than we should have.

Yeah, I overlooked that one.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:46:19 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

PAC-MAN (Namco)

If there's a game without a ending which just repeats the same stages, then I'd consider it beaten once you get to the point where it repeats and beat the high score. It'd be really unreasonable to make people reach the kill stage or something similar. So for Pac Man, that would just be beating the first stage. I think for Ms. Pac Man, that's the first 10 levels?

I would still require the player to beat the default high score.  Beating one screen of Pac-Man is a bit TOO easy to me.  Now, if the default score is zero, then I would say it actually IS beating one screen, but if there is a default high score, that should be part of the requirement as well.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:50:33 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
A couple of mine didn't get counted. I beat Pro Wrestling, Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart's Off Road and Mario Bros. (The FAQ counts passing phase 12 as beating it since they just repeat from there).

Edited: 01/03/2012 at 01:56 AM by bearcat-doug

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:58:35 AM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
RBI Baseball is done.

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:30:28 AM
scaryice (115)
Illinois

PAC-MAN (Namco)

I would still require the player to beat the default high score.  Beating one screen of Pac-Man is a bit TOO easy to me.  Now, if the default score is zero, then I would say it actually IS beating one screen, but if there is a default high score, that should be part of the requirement as well.

Yeah, that's what I meant.