NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew orange island

Jun 25 at 4:20:46 AM
tomkennes123 (0)

(tom kennes) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Hi guys,

check out this new awesome looking nes game. 

Only downside it is over 100$ if you want a cib copy AND only if the 34.000 £ stretchgoal is reached.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the artwork. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vontheodore/orange-isla...

Edited: 06/25/2019 at 04:25 AM by tomkennes123

Jun 25 at 4:37:47 AM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
This will be the first KS game that I won't support. It's just too much money. It's a shame because it looks like a really neat game.

-------------------------
"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Jun 25 at 4:51:28 AM
tomkennes123 (0)

Alabama
I think I'll go for the cardridge only..

Jun 25 at 8:32:11 AM
EnigMog (0)

(Hardy Childers) < Little Mac >
South Carolina
$13 for the rom. He said on Twitter that he was adding the NES rom to all the tiers if the stretch goal is reached (he didn't know there was demand for that when he created the KS).

Edited: 06/25/2019 at 09:11 AM by EnigMog

Jun 25 at 8:38:04 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
That's expensive AND there is no guarantee of a cart release unless it hits 30000 pounds or whatever? Hrm...

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Jun 25 at 8:48:25 AM
Gutling (133)

< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
What a horrible night to have a curse. I mean a beautiful sunset is a long days reward.

Jun 25 at 9:33:19 AM
Zezzler (1)
(Jesse Sesler) < Little Mac >
Korea, Republic of
I'm a huge fan of the look of the game, and the gameplay from the videos so far. It's definitely one to keep an eye one -- but to echo what everyone has been saying, that stretch goal for the NES cart is the only way I'd go for it.

The nice thing with Kickstarter I guess is that if by the end of the campaign it doesn't look like it'll reach the goal you can cancel the pledge before it's confirmed.

@Zezzler   JammingGames    Zezzler   NES Collection

Jun 25 at 9:44:38 AM
tomkennes123 (0)

Alabama
10-15 dollars extra for manual + box seems way more reasonable to me. Perhaps they can provide artwork + digital manual so we can make our own  

Jun 25 at 9:45:51 AM
tomkennes123 (0)

Alabama
When you look at the fundings at this point they will easily reach the 34.000 stretch goal.

Jun 25 at 10:38:42 AM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
"Former Sega designer" Ted Sterchi brings up almost nothing on Google except this Kickstarter. Was he involved in anything recognizable? The game looks great all around. The most egregious thing about this Kickstarter is the $45 price bump to get it CIB, lmao. Paying big premiums for a cardboard box for brand new products is such a strange part of homebrew.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Jun 25 at 10:53:44 AM
EnigMog (0)

(Hardy Childers) < Little Mac >
South Carolina
If you just search his name and Sega it brings up credits.

Jun 25 at 10:57:23 AM
Zezzler (1)
(Jesse Sesler) < Little Mac >
Korea, Republic of
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

"Former Sega designer" Ted Sterchi brings up almost nothing on Google except this Kickstarter. Was he involved in anything recognizable?

I've been following him on Twitter for a while. He appears to do mostly contract work for companies, ranging from 3D models/design, Facebook camera filters, web stuff, to art for games or something. Like many freelance workers, it's a lot of stuff.

He's a real stand-up guy though. Super genuine and a big fan of NES.

@Zezzler   JammingGames    Zezzler   NES Collection

Jun 25 at 11:38:01 AM
GradualGames (39)
(Derek Andrews) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
I was happy to back this for the digital release. But as the NES game was a stretch goal rather than a primary goal of the project I couldn't bring myself to back the NES cartridge tier. Looking forward to playing the game either way.

Creators of: Nomolos: Storming the CATsle, and The Legends of Owlia.

Jun 25 at 12:40:04 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I relayed that the cost he's asking for the NES stuff is a bit outrageous. One thing to keep in mind (and I'm not sure if this makes it easier to swallow or not) is that he's going to be paying Antoine (Twin Dragons) to port the game if the NES version is to be made. So while most of us who make our own games don't really "make money" from the hours spent coding, his prices will have to reflect that in some degree. I personally can't bring myself to pay $70 for a cartridge, but he is a genuinely nice and great dude, so I hope you guys can choose to support him in one way or another.

In speaking with him one on one, he mentioned that he probably intends on adding a NES-only tier at some point, so those of us who don't care about digital phone wallpaper can just get what we want and not be bombarded with all the non-NES fluff.  

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jun 25 at 1:24:55 PM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
This looks amazing! I'll gladly back this at CIB Nintendo tier , if it gets unlocked. I've seen so much garbage being pedaled here for 80$+, something of this quality I'd gladly support.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Jun 25 at 4:09:37 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: fcgamer

This looks amazing! I'll gladly back this at CIB Nintendo tier , if it gets unlocked. I've seen so much garbage being pedaled here for 80$+, something of this quality I'd gladly support.

You are garbage. 

Jun 25 at 4:47:44 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Mog

You are garbage. 

Jun 25 at 4:57:34 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other

So it's okay that this isn't available in a Famicom cart but so many others you were pissed about?

I'm confused Dave.  You complain for months about every single homebrew not having Famicom version, then you come on here and post this.

Are you on drugs or drunk?

Jun 25 at 8:53:50 PM
RpgCollector (128)
(Jeff Oconnell) < Kraid Killer >
California
I like cake

Down to the last 2 Sega Game Gear games I need for the CIB USA set. What I will pay for CIB:

Fantastic Dizzy -$300 & Sports Illustrated -$300

Jun 25 at 10:20:37 PM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
I'll just wait till it shows up in eshop.

Jun 26 at 5:35:06 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Mog

You are garbage. 
Not sure what that's about.

-----

Jun 26 at 5:52:38 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Paul

So it's okay that this isn't available in a Famicom cart but so many others you were pissed about?

I'm confused Dave.  You complain for months about every single homebrew not having Famicom version, then you come on here and post this.

Hi Paul, I think it's a fair question that you asked, so I'll try to explain it in a way that might lead to some understanding.

I remember you had collected crappy condition NES carts a few years back.  Despite going for the ones in crappy condition, I would not feel terribly surprised if you then came onto Nintendo Age and said you bought a mint copy of a childhood favorite, or something like that.  Just because it falls outside of the scope of your normal collecting habits shouldn't make it necessarily odd, as I think occassionally everyone strays from their main focus.

If a homebrew or indie game is released on Famicom format, I will support and buy it sight unseen, assuming that it's obtainable.  I am trying to support a niche market there, a niche market within a niche market, and I believe that supporting said products will lead to bigger and better projects down the road.  On the other hand, since my main focus is not NES game cartridges, it takes something particularly fun-looking to get my money.  If a (NES) cartridge release will only be made at $35000 or whatever, the idea of an endorsed Famicom version is slim to none.  THe game looks really fun though, hence why I would support it and purchase it.

I also purchased the previous Solar Wars release. Although there were not an ill-intentions, the way the release went about created a situation of the game being unauthorized, and as someone who collects mostly unauthorized game cartridges, this fit in nicely as a homebrew oddity. If Solar Wars does indeed get a truly 100% authorized version, as has been some talk, I will purchase it as well.  When Mr. Covell first put his own game onto a cartridge back in '98 or '99, it was on a NES cart, not a Famicom cart. If a Famicom version came out, yeah I'd purchase it, but I'd also still want to have the NES version. Then there was the Sudoku in the tin can, I purchased it when it came out. But said selections are done on a very, very personal level to me, after much consideration. So I have to feel a connection with the game. Otherwise, I'll only play if it's on Famicom.

edit:  I only have access to two NES machines currently, btw.  One is a Sachen clone from Europe (PAL), the other is a Hong Kong version NES (also PAL).  I use an old TV, don't even know if it supports PAL properly, then there are conversion differences for the electricity, etc.  Or the other choice is to run a NES --> Famicom adapter with the cart on top, in a huge tower.  That's brilliant when the cat gets a surge of energy at night and bumps it, there goes my progress! So there are pragmatic reasons as well.

-----

Edited: 06/26/2019 at 05:55 AM by fcgamer

Jun 27 at 1:10:54 AM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee

Originally posted by: Paul

Hi Paul, I think it's a fair question that you asked, so I'll try to explain it in a way that might lead to some understanding.

I remember you had collected crappy condition NES carts a few years back.  Despite going for the ones in crappy condition, I would not feel terribly surprised if you then came onto Nintendo Age and said you bought a mint copy of a childhood favorite, or something like that.  Just because it falls outside of the scope of your normal collecting habits shouldn't make it necessarily odd, as I think occassionally everyone strays from their main focus.

For what it's worth, I got to see Paul's complete crappy cart collection in all it's glory... there wasn't a mint game to be found.   

(I'm totally off topic, but really wanted to say that, thinking about that glorious pile of beat to hell games makes me smile)

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Jun 27 at 8:37:04 AM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
I like, like it, but I don't $70 like it. Should be CIB for that kind of bread. I'm still on the fence at that price point. The quality is very apparent though. Fantastic presentation. Plus Broke Studios is involved, so it's got that going for it.

Jun 27 at 10:51:52 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida

If a homebrew or indie game is released on Famicom format, I will support and buy it sight unseen, assuming that it's obtainable.  

What if it's a crappy sokoban clone?

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin