Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2018 Weekly Contests Presents: Operation Wolf Contest ends Sunday, 6/17/18 at 11 PM NA time

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:31:58 PM
tablew/chairs (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Michigan
Originally posted by: mbd39

Originally posted by: tablew/chairs

beside saving the hostages the other impactful score variation is getting the enemy has located you screen that has the 3 helicopters plus soldiers the other one only has soldiers not sure what determines it but i played about 5 times and that screen was the difference i found between 331,XXX and 336,XXX

BTW, welcome back to the contests. You're probably the first and only person in history to get 18 perfects in Palamedes. Thanks for not bumping me to second place in Trojan.

Yeah I was playing bases loaded for the nes completion thread for two weeks so I missed ninja gaiden 2 and narc but I had no interest in playing Trojan 

Jun 16, 2018 at 4:34:41 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

beside saving the hostages the other impactful score variation is getting the enemy has located you screen that has the 3 helicopters plus soldiers the other one only has soldiers not sure what determines it but i played about 5 times and that screen was the difference i found between 331,XXX and 336,XXX

BTW, welcome back to the contests. You're probably the first and only person in history to get 18 perfects in Palamedes. Thanks for not bumping me to second place in Trojan.

Yeah I was playing bases loaded for the nes completion thread for two weeks so I missed ninja gaiden 2 and narc but I had no interest in playing Trojan 

Trojan is fun for a quick playthrough. It becomes a slog when playing for a high score contest.

-------------------------
Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:38:23 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta

Trojan is fun for a quick playthrough. It becomes a slog when playing for a high score contest.

Trojan would work better as a 1 life high score contest IMO. Then you have that balance between skill and strategy. I liked the game but most of my score was just killing the gray knights in the elevator.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:48:11 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Krunch

Trojan would work better as a 1 life high score contest IMO. Then you have that balance between skill and strategy. I liked the game but most of my score was just killing the gray knights in the elevator.

The most lucrative point pressing spot is in level 4 where you can get over 80k per life. There's a location where you can keep killing enemies as soon as they appear on the left side of the screen just by standing there and quickly pressing B. You don't know the meaning of boring until you've burned three or four lives doing nothing but repeatedly pressing B until the timer runs out.

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:06:46 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta

The most lucrative point pressing spot is in level 4 where you can get over 80k per life. There's a location where you can keep killing enemies as soon as they appear on the left side of the screen just by standing there and quickly pressing B. You don't know the meaning of boring until you've burned three or four lives doing nothing but repeatedly pressing B until the timer runs out.

Yeah I wasn’t able to get that far, maybe with more practice but just didn’t have the time.  That second boss on the third level was not easy especially with a low health bar.  Now I’m just counting down the weeks until we play Pipe Dream

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:42:21 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

331,400 (Game Completed)

Man you really have to put the pressure on that last boss...geez. I didn't get the "good points" enemy has found you scenario. Really don't want to try anymore if it simply comes down to that randomness. Pretty crappy way to decide a contest but oh well.

Edited: 06/17/2018 at 04:43 AM by gutsman004

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:02:59 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: gutsman004

331,400 (Game Completed)

Man you really have to put the pressure on that last boss...geez. I didn't get the "good points" enemy has found you scenario. Really don't want to try anymore if it simply comes down to that randomness. Pretty crappy way to decide a contest but oh well.

I've never even reached the final boss. I run out of grenades in the last two stages trying to deal with the helicopters and lose a bunch of health anyway, and then it's game over. I've given up.

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:26:28 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Yeah I wasn’t able to get that far, maybe with more practice but just didn’t have the time.  That second boss on the third level was not easy especially with a low health bar.  Now I’m just counting down the weeks until we play Pipe Dream

The third level can be tough, especially the combo of gray knights and those little exploding balls. I figured out how to deal with them, but they can be a pain. As for the boss, just jump and slash him.

Did you find any powerups? The P icon that is hidden in a level one manhole doubles the amount of damage that you do to enemies. If you then grab the second P in level four, bosses will only take three hits to kill. It's also worth finding the shoes so that you can kill the enemies in the air for 2k points each.

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:26:21 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Not going to get a score in this week (or likely next). Everything my wife deems non-essential (games) is still boxed up.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Jun 17, 2018 at 4:33:54 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: the tall guy

Not going to get a score in this week (or likely next). Everything my wife deems non-essential (games) is still boxed up.

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:07:43 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

331,400 (Game Completed)

I've never even reached the final boss. I run out of grenades in the last two stages trying to deal with the helicopters and lose a bunch of health anyway, and then it's game over. I've given up.

It’s not easy for sure. If you don’t have many or any bombs,you definitely have to shoot all the birds to get extra magazines or else you are hosed. That fight kind of reminds me of the helicopter boss fight in Bayou Billy.

Jun 17, 2018 at 6:01:36 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

331,400 (Game Completed)

It’s not easy for sure. If you don’t have many or any bombs,you definitely have to shoot all the birds to get extra magazines or else you are hosed. That fight kind of reminds me of the helicopter boss fight in Bayou Billy.

I'm getting closer to being able to beat the game. I do want to beat this at some point.

It's mostly memorizing where the tougher enemies appear and quickly taking them out.

(I had to play some more because I couldn't let Richard beat me by around 1000 points.)

Edited: 06/17/2018 at 06:10 PM by mbd39

Jun 17, 2018 at 6:10:45 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

331,400 (Game Completed)

I'm getting closer to being able to beat the game. I do want to beat this at some point.

It's mostly memorizing where the tougher enemies appear and quickly taking them out.

That,minimizing ammo use,and fully utilizing opportunity. 

Jun 17, 2018 at 6:15:53 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

331,400 (Game Completed)

That,minimizing ammo use,and fully utilizing opportunity. 

The first four stages aren't that bad, especially because you get a health refill after stage three and an ammo refill after stage four. The last two suck. It's easy to lose health like crazy by accidentally killing prisoners. Not to mention you might as well reset if any prisoner dies on stage six if you're doing a high score run.

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:31:03 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I ran out of ammo right when I was fighting the final boss. LOL. So close...

Jun 17, 2018 at 9:00:08 PM
Yoshi (34)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Stage 2: 46,850.

Jun 17, 2018 at 9:01:28 PM
Yoshi (34)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
I'm out doing work in the Bay Area, but I had to at least get a score in.  

Jun 17, 2018 at 9:56:21 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Thought I had a good strat by beating your score when you said you were done with the game and wouldn’t update your score unless you beat the game. 
Well played..... Well played! 
I for real don’t have time to play again.

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:10:57 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Richardhead

Thought I had a good strat by beating your score when you said you were done with the game and wouldn’t update your score unless you beat the game. 
Well played..... Well played! 
I for real don’t have time to play again.

I couldn't let you beat me by so few points. I couldn't have lived with myself.

And then I came so close to beating the game and having a good score too. If I only would have had more ammo at the boss. I was probably right on the verge of destroying it. Uggghgghgh.

I haven't been able to make it back to the final boss since. I can consistently reach stage 6.

Edited: 06/17/2018 at 10:11 PM by mbd39

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:13:46 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Is skinny going to post a score? He better hurry.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:01:06 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I finally beat the game tonight! The last two stages are still a bitch. But I have a strat where I can usually reach stage 5 with full health and ammo. Always try to reach stage 4 with enough grenades to quickly kill all the helicopters or any other problem enemies, because you get an ammo refill anyway. Stock up on grenades in stage 2 and then conserve them in stage 3.

Unfortunately I didn't get the best score because I lost one prisoner. Oh well.

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:16:45 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
And tonight I rescued all the prisoners. Woo hoo. I got a score that would have made third place.

I'm glad we played this. It's pretty fun.