Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Must have X amount of feedback to bid on my items..." any opinions on this style of selling?

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:10:13 PM
snyperlite (48)
(Travis ) < Crack Trooper >
Washington
I have always been torn in the seller role over the idea of “can’t bid on my items unless you have X amount of positive feedback”.  Part of me thinks it’s unfair to new ebayers, everyone has to start somewhere right?  But another part of me has dealt with soo many non-payment and related bad experiences (scammed) with zero feedback users, that I started to implement this rule in my auctions awhile back.  I still get the occasional person who doesn’t read my auction rules or just don’t care and bids anyway.  My current  situation involves a pretty expensive item and a zero feedback user.  I tried emailing them to see if they even have a confirmed address paypal account and have got no response.  I’m leaning towards just canceling their bid and not taking the head ache risk even if the item doesn't sell.   Do any of you guys have similar situations pop up or opinions/thoughts on this type of situation?  Thanks! 

Edited: 10/31/2014 at 12:11 PM by snyperlite

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:44:06 PM
sazyario (73)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
It's best to cancel their bid or refund them then to deal with a possible risk

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:50:22 PM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
People who are just getting started out with ebay should be making a few very cheap purchases that are low-risk for both the buyer and seller. Little things like sticker sheets, or cheap cell phone cases.
A brand-spanking-new ebayer with zero feedback has no business buying video games until they can prove themselves by getting more feedback.

-------------------------
Instagram
Wishlist

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:59:08 PM
snyperlite (48)
(Travis ) < Crack Trooper >
Washington
Thanks guys, I totally agree that building up a reputation with cheap items is really important when first starting out, sellers want to know they are dealing with honest people just as much as buyers do. There is no need to go for high end items with your first purchase, there just seems to be too much risk these days. Thanks for the feedback.

Edited: 10/31/2014 at 12:59 PM by snyperlite

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:10:21 PM
JaxsBox (102)
(( NFR )) < Bowser >
United States
It's always hit and miss with low or no feedback Ebay users. My concern is always with them being a blocked bidder or buyer/seller with a vendetta. Still take the risk because like you said new users need to start some where. If they are bidding and it's a high priced auction it may be best to cancel them. If you had no response from them it's an easy call.

FS/FT/FO: Nintendo Handhelds, Demos/NFRs, Development Equipment, Prototypes, and more http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...
Always looking to buy Nintendo Not For Resale titles, Promo items, Development/Test Equipment, and Nintendo Platform Prototypes.

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:44:04 PM
mkiker2089 (17)
(Marshall Kiker) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
New users can do buy it now because then they either pay or the item stays listed. There's no risk of a non-paying bidder.

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:01:29 PM
Tai (40)
(Tyler Patron) < Eggplant Wizard >
Saskatchewan
Ive had this issue once. I was selling a n64 CIB game, and the guy who wanted to buy it joined NA just to buy it from me. I didn't think much of it, he did send $ immediately. So I sent it to him with him only having 2 days under his belt on NA. But he got it and there was never any issues.

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:02:33 PM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
My opinion is this makes things alot harder on an honest person trying to gain feedback, everyone starts somewhere

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:17:03 PM
MrPete1985 (43)
< El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
I never like it when someone says you cannot bid unless you have so much feedback. Not everyone on eBay leaves feedback, I myself have about 7 sales or so that the buyer never left feedback for.

Just about anything you would want to know about SNES repros
The best SNES PCBs you can buy
Mask ROM Adapter Boards
Fixing stuff on my YouTube channel

I fix game cartridges and make repros.  Send a PM If you are interested in my services.

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:30:01 PM
JustinParks (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Originally posted by: alekx

My opinion is this makes things alot harder on an honest person trying to gain feedback, everyone starts somewhere

I agree. I never had an issue as a new Ebayer but when I was new to NA I ran into a couple small problems. I joined the site specifically to look for rare NES games and when I went to buy some or trade for some it seemed like other users were very skeptical and many would not even PM me back. One user refused to ship me anything until I shipped something first and he would not ship until he received it even after I showed that I had over 100 positive feedbacks on Ebay. I understand that sellers like to be safe but I think it is very unfair to an honest new buyer to flat out refuse them business simply because they are new.

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:52:43 AM
N64ADL (12)
(ryan fowler) < Meka Chicken >
Virginia
two letters that stand for two words, "BS". like JustinParks said and i totally agree with, everyone has to start somewhere.

N64 All the way (except Final fantasy 3 on snes :)

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:04:31 AM
babywuchki (90)
(Chris ) < Kraid Killer >
United States
I will sell my property to whoever I want to sell it to. End of discussion.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:38:54 PM
Lance (0)
(Lance ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
If everyone started implementing a minimum amount of feedback to bid policy, it would only slow down criminals and make innocent newcomers have a frustrating experience because they can't bid on anything. It could make the only option for innocent newcomers to bid would be on shady/criminal storefronts.

It would make Amazon.com and other competitors look a lot better in the end.

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:00:43 PM
twinkie2001 (80)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Thomas Smith) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I thought dictating things like this in your auctions was against eBay's policy?

Otherwise they would have implemented an option that could block buyers with certain feedback.

Hey man, I'm just borrowing your girlfriend for a couple of hours.  Don't fret though; whatever happens in my car, stays in my car.

Edited: 11/01/2014 at 04:01 PM by twinkie2001