Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Closed SNES Monthly Contest: May - Super Star Wars + Ms. Pac-Man Winners - Webhead123 + quest4nes

May 23, 2017 at 2:12:09 PM
Webhead123 (30)
(Jordan S.) < El Ripper >
Texas
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Originally posted by: Webhead123

Edit: In repeated plays this month, it dawned on me that a huge (and I mean huge) chunk of the score in this game comes from time/lives bonus given at the end of most stages. This makes low-scoring the game a real chore because it means faster playtime = more points. But with a lot of patience and some creative practices, I was able to shave my score down by about 85%. Still love this game, warts and all.
Good to know.  I have Return of the Jedi on next year's schedule (real shocker), do you know if that suffers from the same issue?
Super Jedi doesn't have a time bonus but it does have a "Health Bonus". The more health you have at stage completion, the more points you get. It also carries over the "Lives Bonus" from Super Star Wars (more lives = more points). As such, I think the point imbalance is not nearly as severe as Super Star Wars...but I do think the bonuses account for the majority of your final score by far. One of the things I noticed is that if the game doesn't display a floating point value from a defeated enemy/object, it is not worth any points. This even seems to count in some rare instances when you kill a normally-point-bearing enemy at the very edge of the screen and no point value appears.

​All this in mind, I'm not sure what advice to give for contest scoring systems in these games. It's kind of a crapshoot either way. Low-scoring in Super Jedi would seem to reward players who are struggling (low life-count, low health) or who are intentionally skipping extra life/health power-ups without any real way to distinguish between them. Meanwhile, high-scoring in Super Jedi (or any of the trilogy games) could be prone to intentional/unintentional "point-farming", since enemies in the series' are notorious for their aggressive respawn rate.

-------------------------
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Now Playing: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Switch)
Last Beaten: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-2929-9013-9208

May 23, 2017 at 2:15:18 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
For Jedi it may just be progress + remaining lives for a tiebreaker. Throw score out entirely. Probably should of done that for SSW as well, unless that can be exploited

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

May 23, 2017 at 2:18:51 PM
Webhead123 (30)
Texas
Originally posted by: quest4nes

damn webb. I thought I was done with super star wars for the month. thanks alot.
My bad. When you spend so much time with a game like this, you start to peel away layers you didn't even know existed. It was a real chore once I discovered how dramatically the bonus points impact score in this game. But it was a case of not being able to "unsee" it once the realization had hit me and my compulsive nature kicked in.

​Take some Tylenol and bring a good book. You're gonna need both if you want to survive a low-score run on this game.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Now Playing: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Switch)

May 23, 2017 at 2:20:41 PM
Webhead123 (30)
Texas

For Jedi it may just be progress + remaining lives for a tiebreaker. Throw score out entirely. Probably should of done that for SSW as well, unless that can be exploited
Tiebreaker for most lives or fewest lives? Most lives would make sense for Super Jedi, I think. It is problematic for Super Star Wars though because of the Jundland Wastes secret area that allows a player to basically rack up 99 lives.

May 23, 2017 at 4:52:21 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

Tiebreaker for most lives or fewest lives? Most lives would make sense for Super Jedi, I think. It is problematic for Super Star Wars though because of the Jundland Wastes secret area that allows a player to basically rack up 99 lives.

you talking about that jump in the sand crawler? that you go through the wall on the other side of a drop secret room?

I know there is a life, heart and gun upgrade in there(dont really need the gun upgrade at that point), but I didnt know of a 99 life secret.

Do you know about that first level, you can shoot those green womprats in the section over and over and once you get to 3,450 I think, the gun upgrade pops up. Not ideal for low score but I remember accidently discovering that when I was a kid.

All I know is Return of the Jedi, Emporer Palpatine is effing hard. Ive beaten him once, but that was passwords to get to him over and over. Everytime I got to him naturally through the game I lost and just said eff it passwords. Tunnel Millenium Falcon section took me a lot of practice too. Empire to me is the hardest game just because the levels are full of cheap shit and start out hard even in the beginning. Jedi has the hardest boss though. 

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Edited: 05/23/2017 at 04:55 PM by quest4nes

May 23, 2017 at 5:26:03 PM
Webhead123 (30)
Texas

you talking about that jump in the sand crawler? that you go through the wall on the other side of a drop secret room?

I know there is a life, heart and gun upgrade in there(dont really need the gun upgrade at that point), but I didnt know of a 99 life secret.

Do you know about that first level, you can shoot those green womprats in the section over and over and once you get to 3,450 I think, the gun upgrade pops up. Not ideal for low score but I remember accidently discovering that when I was a kid.

All I know is Return of the Jedi, Emporer Palpatine is effing hard. Ive beaten him once, but that was passwords to get to him over and over. Everytime I got to him naturally through the game I lost and just said eff it passwords. Tunnel Millenium Falcon section took me a lot of practice too. Empire to me is the hardest game just because the levels are full of cheap shit and start out hard even in the beginning. Jedi has the hardest boss though.
It's in Stage 5: "Land of the Sandpeople". There are two areas where you have to jump on floating platforms to cross a bottomless pit. On the second such area, when you first reach it, you can fall off the far-left edge and cling to the cliff. You'll land on an outcropping and to the left is a cave with ~9 extra lives (invisible, you have to shoot to reveal them). Grab the lives, fall into the pit. The game will start you back at the top of the cliff. Fall, collect, die, repeat.

​Yeah, in the first stage, it's possible to get 3 blaster power-ups. There's one that appears on the very first screen if you wait/shoot long enough. The second one is the one in the open when the womprats first appear and the third is the hidden one you mentioned. It's good to know for general play and for folks who need the help of those early power-ups but, yeah, not as useful if you're trying to low-score the game.

​Palpatine can be rough. Sometimes you just have to get lucky with his attack pattern if you want a good chance of winning. The primary problem is his lightning destroying the platforms. The longer you fight him, the harder it gets because you quickly run out of places to stand.

Super Empire is definitely the hardest of the games. Some of the stages are ridiculously long and some of the enemies can take a stupid amount of punishment. I think the most frustrating stage might be the second Snowspeeder stage because your ship takes up half the screen, your blaster is fairly weak and you have almost zero time to react to the enemies as they come at you. That or the first two Cloud City stages. Seriously. Cloud City is bull.

Edited: 05/23/2017 at 05:27 PM by Webhead123

May 23, 2017 at 5:47:04 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

It's in Stage 5: "Land of the Sandpeople". There are two areas where you have to jump on floating platforms to cross a bottomless pit. On the second such area, when you first reach it, you can fall off the far-left edge and cling to the cliff. You'll land on an outcropping and to the left is a cave with ~9 extra lives (invisible, you have to shoot to reveal them). Grab the lives, fall into the pit. The game will start you back at the top of the cliff. Fall, collect, die, repeat.

​Yeah, in the first stage, it's possible to get 3 blaster power-ups. There's one that appears on the very first screen if you wait/shoot long enough. The second one is the one in the open when the womprats first appear and the third is the hidden one you mentioned. It's good to know for general play and for folks who need the help of those early power-ups but, yeah, not as useful if you're trying to low-score the game.

​Palpatine can be rough. Sometimes you just have to get lucky with his attack pattern if you want a good chance of winning. The primary problem is his lightning destroying the platforms. The longer you fight him, the harder it gets because you quickly run out of places to stand.

Super Empire is definitely the hardest of the games. Some of the stages are ridiculously long and some of the enemies can take a stupid amount of punishment. I think the most frustrating stage might be the second Snowspeeder stage because your ship takes up half the screen, your blaster is fairly weak and you have almost zero time to react to the enemies as they come at you. That or the first two Cloud City stages. Seriously. Cloud City is bull.

lol last year I basically had a no death good run going and got to that snowspeeder level. Lost all those lives I had on that one level. Couldnt get past the hurdle. Couldve gotten far with the lives I had saved up. Was so close but just kept dying. Cant avoid stuff in that level since your ship is the whole screen

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

May 26, 2017 at 1:13:04 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I just realized I haven't posted any score at all for Star Wars, despite thinking I had done so. Gah! I'll have to play some tonight for sure! I suck pretty hard at the Star Wars games, but I can at least get to level... 2. Lol those one hit death pits at the boss always get me.

May 26, 2017 at 6:45:24 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
You win webb. I know what you did to get that score and hell no am i about to suffer through that. Just doing that the first few stages was too brutal of boredom

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

May 26, 2017 at 9:08:27 PM
Webhead123 (30)
Texas

You win webb. I know what you did to get that score and hell no am i about to suffer through that. Just doing that the first few stages was too brutal of boredom
Indeed. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I'll tell you this: I'll never try to low-score this game again.

May 30, 2017 at 1:23:02 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
The June thread will go up either a bit early, or a bit later in the morning on Thursday. If I post early please do not begin play until after midnight on June 1st

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

May 30, 2017 at 9:19:07 PM
Webhead123 (30)
Texas
Added Ms. Pac-Man score to my page 1 post.

May 31, 2017 at 1:27:53 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Added my scores to my first post on page 1.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

May 31, 2017 at 11:15:21 PM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Man almost missed this month

**Stage 2 - 25,900

Haves     |     Wants

Edited: 05/31/2017 at 11:16 PM by Stryphos

Jun 1, 2017 at 1:28:14 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
forgot to update my final pacman score, oh well, it was only like 1,100 higher

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:59:05 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
Hey guys, am I reading it right that I came in 6th for Ms Pac-man?

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Jun 5, 2017 at 6:02:00 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: ninjistar

Hey guys, am I reading it right that I came in 6th for Ms Pac-man?

Oops, I transposed Yoshi's Star Wars score in my spreadsheet