Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

MINT Nintendo Power First Issue

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:12:19 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Copy, Paste, Add "Sincerely Brian Koo", Send.

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:15:46 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: videogamedomain

Now you guys stop all this progressive talk, your gonna turn this train wreck of a thread into something positive and useful.

Valid.  Eat a DICK Fri.  How's that?

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:20:14 PM
Arkturus (80)
(Brian Koo) < Lolo Lord >
California
Originally posted by: Bronty

Originally posted by: Arkturus

Dear CGC,

I recently sent a request in to see if you guys would grade video game magazines such as Nintendo Power and the answer was no. I want to first make sure this is still the case. If it is, I'd like to offer up an idea. I'm part of a very lage community of retro video game collectors that also collect old retro gaming magazines such as Nintendo Power. If I were to get a petition going on www.nintendoage.com... how many sign offs would you need to look into video game magazine grading? It would benefit your company greatly with an increase in revenue and it would also make many game collectors very happy.

If you aren't familiar with NintendoAge, we're a vast community of serious to casual game collectors that collect everything and anything retro game related. Please let me know if I would need to speak to a manager or any senior personnel on this matter. I'm also happy to chat on the phone anytime.

Sincerely, Brian Koo

Response:

I am sorry but at this time there is still no plan to grade gaming magazines.

The problem is not one of volume, its one of data and of certification. If we do not know the material we cannot certify it without backing data including page counts, publisher information, existence of inserts, posters, etc... and without full details on every single issue of of single magazine in question, we cannot comfortably certify its authenticity. That is the issue and that is what is keep us from grading other magazines. A petition will unfortunately not change that.

We will certainly make a big announcemnt if or when that changes.

Meh, oh well.

ehh... don't give up.    The way you respond to that is with something along these lines:

Thanks for clarifying for me the nature of the difficulty you have in grading these.   I can certainly understand your wanting to know information about the items being graded so that you can be in a position to reliably certify.

Let me ask you then exactly what information you need?   It would be a simple matter for us at nintendoage to provide you with a database of page counts, posters, and inserts for every issue of Nintendo Power.   You are correct that many issues did come with a poster.     In most cases there were no other significant inserts, only loose (not attached to the magazine) subscription cards and such, which I assume wouldn't be of interest.

I'd like to make this happen and look forward to working with you.  

I tried with similar words via phone but to no avail.  Asking for someone senior was useless as well as that person I was talking to would probably get the burden of sh*t work from the higher ups if our request went through.  I'm determined to get my NP 1 in a CGC case.  =P  

Going to copy your words back to the same guy.  Better I have it in writing anyway.

-------------------------
Playing Clash of Clans Hardcore - If your in-game and looking for a clan we're recruiting - PM me with details

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:31:06 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
OK. When I have some time I will look up who's senior there these days (they've had some recent turnover) and see if I can help so that they are hearing it from more than one person.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:41:28 PM
Arkturus (80)
(Brian Koo) < Lolo Lord >
California
Originally posted by: Bronty

OK. When I have some time I will look up who's senior there these days (they've had some recent turnover) and see if I can help so that they are hearing it from more than one person.

Okay I won't carry on this convo here anymore we're derailing the derailment of Fri, lol.

I'll take up with Bronty PM later but here is the final from this dude.  Bronty his name is Eric Downtown...

I do appreciate your offer but again, CGC has no plans to add any additional magazines at this time, but I will forward your contact info to management in the event that changes. 

---
Wm. Eric Downton
CGC Receiving Manager & Customer Service
Me:
Yes please and if you could get me in touch with anyone senior that could work with me on this I'd appreciate it.  I understand there aren't any plans but I would be inclined to think if there is a niche market you could expand to and profit from while outsourcing your marketing research through us it would only benefit. 

Thanks again.

Playing Clash of Clans Hardcore - If your in-game and looking for a clan we're recruiting - PM me with details

Dec 20, 2011 at 5:07:57 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Sometime I think I'm the only person in the world that thinks less VGA involvement is a good thing. They are already understaffed and overworked as it is. I can see the parallel between NPs and Comic Grading but I'm sure VGA is having no problems with profitability...

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Edited: 12/20/2011 at 05:08 PM by jonebone

Dec 20, 2011 at 7:42:45 PM
Pale Horse (45)
(Shaun ) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
John Connor had the hindsight to buy this and put it in his bank vault for 20 years, and look what happened.