Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES 101 Game Genie Adapter Score. Never thought I'd have one.

Feb 11 at 3:52:03 PM
Nesmaniac (3)
(Matthew Sizemore) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
Man, I got super lucky finding this at such a great price I'm ashamed to tell. I'd almost part with it but I know if I do then I'll never have another so guess I'll add it to the NES collection for the time being since it isn't eating anything.  

-------------------------

Feb 11 at 4:51:38 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Never even heard of these actually. tho I never thought to look. Is it, ehhhhhhh, pricey or , OOOOOF, pricey?

“Be quiet brain, or ill stab you with a Q-tip” ~Homer Simpson 

Feb 11 at 5:06:02 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I'd say oof. Here's one if you need a back up or price comparison
Nice score tho! Never realized I needed one😉https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/...

“Be quiet brain, or ill stab you with a Q-tip” ~Homer Simpson 

Edited: 02/11/2019 at 05:07 PM by DaneNES

Feb 11 at 5:39:31 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
These come in hand for a variety of things such as prototypes that don't fit in a top loader, and I use to for my game action reply to fit as well (after removing the game action reply from the case)
Nice score!

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Feb 11 at 7:41:13 PM
brianoblivion (0)
(Brian O'Blivion) < Tourian Tourist >
Massachusetts
I'm jealous! But thanks to an NES to Famicom adaptor followed by a Famicom to NES adaptor I can use Game Genie in my toploader now!

The battle for the mind of North America will be fought in the video arena — the videodrome. The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore the television screen is part of the physical structure of the brain. Therefore whatever appears on the television screen emerges as raw experience for those who watch it. Therefore television is reality, and reality is less than television.

Feb 11 at 8:25:44 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Nice score. Why don’t people like to say what they paid? 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Edited: 02/11/2019 at 08:26 PM by skinnygrinny

Feb 11 at 8:36:06 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

I always figured people didnt get as good of a deal as they WANT people to believe they did. 

Not saying the OP is doing that for the record

Feb 11 at 10:26:40 PM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

I always figured people didnt get as good of a deal as they WANT people to believe they did. 

Why wouldn't they just lie then?  Like, if they already want you to believe it was cheap, and there's no consequence or accountability to saying a low number...eh, people are weird, I guess  

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Feb 12 at 2:20:09 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
I've read about this but never seen one. Interesting that they were so stringent about it being compatible only with the top-loader... why?

Feb 12 at 2:34:40 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: gunpei

I've read about this but never seen one. Interesting that they were so stringent about it being compatible only with the top-loader... why?
Probably so people wouldn't get it stuck inside a front loader and blame Galoob when they broke it or the NES trying to get it out.

Probably the same reason I once saw a magic marker with the warning "Harmful If Swallowed."

Feb 12 at 3:33:07 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: coffeewithmrsaturn

Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Why wouldn't they just lie then?  Like, if they already want you to believe it was cheap, and there's no consequence or accountability to saying a low number...eh, people are weird, I guess  
The price paid is the most interesting part, imo. 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Feb 13 at 5:07:51 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
I wanted one of these 15 years ago but never took the plunge. Dumb move but oh well. I always hold onto the hope that I'll randomly find one someday, but honestly I barely even stumble across NES Game Genie's anymore.

Feb 13 at 6:56:27 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
I got one of these new in box many years ago when some guy was clearancing them on EBAY.

Feb 14 at 9:47:45 AM
jfreakofkorn (23)
< King Solomon >
United States
another item to look out for in the wild .....

Feb 14 at 10:07:52 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Any chance you would take (and post) some measurements of the unit? Finally seeing a comparatively high resolution photo of one makes me believe that the stories about there being NES-101 compatible Game Genies being released later on are true. I've got a black one that looks just like that, but I've yet to be in a position to compare it to the classic gold one nor get my top loader out of storage to see if everything mates up properly.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Feb 14 at 10:23:36 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
To be sure, these are just dumb boards in properly molded plastic shells? Interesting. I had no clue it existed or was even necessary. So, Game Genie doesn't fit the toploader? Inwould have never guessed that.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Feb 15 at 11:57:14 AM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

Any chance you would take (and post) some measurements of the unit? Finally seeing a comparatively high resolution photo of one makes me believe that the stories about there being NES-101 compatible Game Genies being released later on are true. I've got a black one that looks just like that, but I've yet to be in a position to compare it to the classic gold one nor get my top loader out of storage to see if everything mates up properly.
Just to add (unless I've mistaken your post), this is definitely a top-loader specific game genie.  I recall many years ago somebody posting it with the box and manual/insert which clearly said top loader use only or something like that.

Feb 15 at 12:10:08 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: rlh

To be sure, these are just dumb boards in properly molded plastic shells? Interesting. I had no clue it existed or was even necessary. So, Game Genie doesn't fit the toploader? Inwould have never guessed that.
Nintendo altered the pin connector for the toploader, so the PCB in the Game Genie is too thick.

There was a picture awhile back of a GG that was absolutely trashed, because someone stuck it in a toploader and couldn't get it out again.

Feb 15 at 12:14:40 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Boosted52405
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

Just to add (unless I've mistaken your post), this is definitely a top-loader specific game genie.  I recall many years ago somebody posting it with the box and manual/insert which clearly said top loader use only or something like that.

Well, this is a top-loader specific Game Genie adapter (shown by "This Adapter" on the rear of the unit, picture above), which is what's rare and expensive, as you had to write/mail away to Galoob to be able to get your hands on it.  I've heard that following this item, Galoob did at least one run of Game Genies which would fit properly into the top loader without the adapter and managed to pick up what appeared to be one of those last year.  Unfortunately, my regular gold Game Genie and top loader are stored in a spot where it's extraordinarily tough to get to them, so I haven't had a chance to break everything out together and compare it side by side.

Originally posted by: Tulpa

Originally posted by: rlh

Nintendo altered the pin connector for the toploader, so the PCB in the Game Genie is too thick.

There was a picture awhile back of a GG that was absolutely trashed, because someone stuck it in a toploader and couldn't get it out again.

While Nintendo did change the pin connector, I could have sworn that what the issue was with the original Game Genie and the top loader was that the housing for the GG was slightly thicker than the new cart slot and PCB slightly offset, so you had to wedge the GG in, and at a bit of an angle at that, which would cause the pin connector to actually break/pull up traces if you went to rock the GG around to try to work it back out.  I'm not saying that the original PCB isn't thicker than recommended for the top loader, just never heard of folks damaging their top loaders (permanently or otherwise) when using the original GG with it with the top shell off.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Edited: 02/15/2019 at 12:18 PM by darkchylde28