Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Identifying any degree about a prototype I've basically asked pretty much everywhere else...

Jan 21 at 10:54:08 PM
Kuriatsu (1)

< Little Mac >
Hey all, 

So, I've got a proto(screenshots attached) that I've been trying to find information on for the past 3-4 weeks.
The only concrete info I have is that it is titled "Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children: Apostle of light(or light of the apostle) it SEEMS to have some kind of direct correlation to Flame and Ice(sequel games) because the menu system is the same as Ice, and some towns have the same names. The script and location names seem to imply Flame and Ice as well and to some small extent, messiah riser as well(additional sequel)

The problem is that I can't find ANYTHING about this online. Nothing at all beyond my personal posts or my personal videos. I've tried searching in English, I've searched in Japanese Kana, Kanji, Katakana + hiragana, Hiragana+kanji, Katakana + Kanji, all of the above + checking dated entries specific to January 2002 all the way up to January 2004 and checking all dates and quoting the entries as well. The most I found was an irrelevant entry from 2013 or so that was a Japanese puzzle game.(ironic)

The Build date says directly December 17th 2002, which is 1 month and 2 days after the date of the release of devil children Light, and Dark in Japan.

Has anyone heard of this proto besides from me? Does anyone have any concrete info on it? I asked Atlus, risking them demanding return of it, and they did not reply at all.

Jan 22 at 12:12:36 AM
hybrid (45)
(jeff .) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Running the title screen through a Google search I come up with this title atlus shin megami tensei: devil children hikari no sho

-------------------------

Jan 22 at 12:54:57 AM
Kuriatsu (1)

< Little Mac >
Light is a different game. Light was released on november 15th 2002. Apostle(light of the apostle) was marked as its build being on december 17th 2002. it can't be a prototype of that game because it was built after the games release. In addition it has various differences in the towns that only exist in flame/ice, and one of them is not even in those. In addition, the term apostle is definitely in there, whereas its not in the Light kanji to signify the game. I wish it were that simple T_T

Edit: I actually bought it because it was so similar to light. I got so much more than that, but I can't identify it properly.

I have attached Lights title screen and the debug for apostle

Lights title screen is also inside of the background viewer for apostle's debug as well. Dark's title screen is too.

Edited: 01/22/2019 at 01:06 AM by Kuriatsu

Jan 22 at 1:19:52 AM
hybrid (45)
(jeff .) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

I think I've seen this on YouTube

-------------------------

Jan 22 at 1:23:31 AM
Kuriatsu (1)

< Little Mac >
That too is a different game. However....the two are somewhat often(apparently, as several others have mistaken them) compared. Apostle of light is a different game than project alpha. Though I do also want Project Alpha and may eventually get it.

Attached is the debug for project alpha. Its very similar to apostle. I'd wager its the same engine or similar engines in versions.

Edited: 01/22/2019 at 01:24 AM by Kuriatsu

Jan 28 at 6:19:50 PM
Kuriatsu (1)

< Little Mac >
Hey, sorry for the double-post, I figured I'd say: I found out what this is after a month of research. This is a prototype of either book of Fire or or book of Ice, and it was so early in development that it had an entirely different name. There's a passage that references an event in flame/ice :
$00250748
[T:002C]Well...[W:0014] I know this much![E][R]
That girl from Valhalla went with Isaac to
the Castle of the Flame Disciple.[E]

$0025074C
[T:0001][P:00FF]Did you hear that,[W:000A] [N]?[E][R]
Ami's in the Castle of the Flame
Disciple![E]

However, it does appear to be a third game, as there are towns in this that are exclusive to ice, but also places in demeter that are exclusive to light, which would indicate flame by association, as well as the main character that's playable being jin. I theorize that you could switch between the akira and jin at one time in its development, but as it became flame/ice, that may have been abandoned in favour of a 2 game sequel. That being said, there is also a theory of there being an apostle of dark as well, and this was changed to fire and ice to differentiate between light and apostle of light as the names were too similar. There's still a lot of theory about it, but I'm glad I could find out what it is in general.