Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2016 Weekly Contests Presents: Pinball Contest ends Sunday, 9/4/16 at 11 PM NA time

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:22:34 AM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
********************************************************************************************
2016 WEEK 29 SANTA WEEKLY NEWS UPDATE!!! - PINBALL
********************************************************************************************

Week 28 was the swan song for the arcade genre in the Nintendoage 2016 contests. We officially crowned our Arcade Champion for the year!
Seven months have passed since the contests began and participation is still going strong.

Check out some of the week's top stories below!

RED ROARS TO TAKE GOLD MEDAL IN PINBALL!!!

Highly dangerous contest hermit makes an appearance to lay waste to the rest of field

skinnygrinny probably summed it up best this week when he wrote "Damn! Red sighting!!"

Even skinny (who is currently ranked #3 overall in overall scoring) had to bow to Red's expertise at the NES black box classic Pinball.
Red was the only participant this week to roll the counter and post a massive score of 1,317,440! Red's score was so massive it was higher than 2nd and 3rd place this week combined.
The appearance of this force of nature in the contests is rare though. This is only Red's 6th submission this year. Even still, he has an outside chance to make the playoffs.

What coaxes this dangerous player out of hiding?
Let's take a look back and try to see what gets Red's motor running.

WEEK 1  -  Super Mario Bros.   144,750     [31st place]
WEEK 2  -  Tetris                   283,614      [6th place]
WEEK 3  -  Kung Fu               124,980     [22nd place]
WEEK 4  -  Donkey Kong jr.     733,800       [2nd place]
WEEK 6  -  Rad Racer              33,283      [17th place]
WEEK 28 - Pinball                1,317,440       [1st place]

...It would appear that Red has an appetite for the 'classics' in the NES library finishing on the podium for 2 black box titles and appearing only for early releases.
Fantastic score Red.
I'm just going to go and check the remaining games real quick to see if you might make another appearance.

*******************************************************************************************
2016 NA CONTESTS "ARCADE CHAMPION" IS OFFICIALLY CROWNED!!!!

bertsampson dominates genre through most of this year

The Human Cyborg that is bertsampson is currently the overall yearly points leader.
A large chunk of bert's points came from his incredible performances in all 5 Arcade genre showings.

bert's silver medal in Paperboy back in week 22 punched his ticket as the Arcade Genre King, but with Pinball now in the books - it's official.
What road did bert travel to achieve this feat?
Take a look below to see how incredible his arcade run was this year...

WEEK 4  - Donkey Kong jr.  1,481,600  [1st place]
WEEK 8  - Pac-Man             274,270  [1st place]
WEEK 15 - Bubble Bobble   1,516,850  [1st place]
WEEK 22 - Paperboy           174,100  [2nd place]
WEEK 28 - Pinball               235,640  [11th place]

bert earned either a gold or silver medal in 4 out of 5 Arcade events this year.
Seven months of excellence has earned him this title and has put him as te #1 seed entering the playoffs in vaunted Tier 1.
Congrats bert. Good luck in the playoffs in a few weeks.

MANY OLD-TIMERS COME OUT OF HIDING TO JOIN IN ON THE PINBALL FREE-FOR-ALL!!!

Lots of NA veterans and crack-shots came out this week trying for triple penguins

As noted above, Red made an appearance this week taking his first gold of te year in Pinball, but something must've been in the air as he was joined by a group of folks that ordinarily watch from the bleachers.
NA moderator ooki_risu laced up her contest sneakers once again and earned herself a silver medal this week posting up a score of 595,310.

Joining her was NES expert (and "Can NA beat every NES game in a year" powerhouse) tablew/chairs. Table jumped into the melee finishing 6th this week with a score of 333,260.

NES sports expert TWarwick07 took some time off from racing model cars and finished just outside the top 8 throwing up a score of 251,530 in his return to the contests after a brief abscence.

Even 10 year member DefaultGen parachutted into the battle finishing 13th for thier first submission of the year scoring 143,980. It's of note that in 10 years, DefaultGen has only posted 153 times!!!!

Contest mod bearcat_doug was held out this week due to a back injury and juggernaut Bea_Iank sat this one out due to pole dancing classes. Both still were in the bleachers for this one though.

The crowd always gets excited to see some of the top competitors and NA old-schoolers from the past tussle with the new crop of NA gladiators.
So many "get off my lawns!" to go around.
Watching old battle new is like The Ultimate Warrior appearing to grapple with John Cena, Lawrence Taylor sacking Cam Newton and/or Mike Tyson fight Muhammad Ali.
Really hope to see more of these types of battles before the regular season comes to a close in a few weeks!

**********************************************************************************************
STILL NO UPDATES ON THE DISAPPEARANCE OF RICHARDHEAD

Clues point to the Rocky Mountains

"At least his body [is in the mountains]" claims suspect JamesRobot in the mysterious case of missing contestant Richardhead.

After making a quick acent up the leaderboards, Richardhead is still missing.
No more home break-ins.
No more cars getting peed on
No more South Park jokes.
No more bicycle accidents.
No more chants of "I must beat JamesRobot."

I think that last one is our most important clue.
After SuperJimtendo's investigation last week, and JamesRobot's "confession" we can only hope for the safe return to the contests for Mr. Head.
Searches have come up empty and all those signed we stapled to telephone poles in Colorado have been torn down.
Where is Mr. Head and who is now living in his house?

*********************************************************************************************
NEWCOMERS

These folks still need participation icons for the Contests!

Every week we list the contestants that still need to get that coveted contest icon.

To be knighted with the contest badge...

tablew/chairs     - 333,260
NESking80         - 144,360
DefaultGen        - 143,980
senorchocotaco -   85,520
Zaam               -   79,010

A few have already posted multiple times.
Hopefully this will make it easier for the mods to get them their contest badge of honor.

**********************************************************************************************

That'll do it for the Arcade Genre this year AND another Update!

- Will anyone get close to bertsampson's hold on the Sport Genre Championship next week?
- Has ToxieRules gone on contest vacation?
- Is Richardhead just "Head" now?

Keep tuning into the contests to find out!

-------------------------

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Edited: 09/13/2016 at 10:12 AM by Commander Santa

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:11:25 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: TWarwick07

Hey Skinny ..... nice to see a score from you !! I have been missing out the last few weeks . Got to get back on the grind!!

see what i did there

Lol   

i been pretty busy with baby grinder   and my sister was in town this week so I did what I could. 

Always nice to see you too! All theese newbies are nice to have but its good to see some familiar players too   

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Sep 5, 2016 at 10:43:57 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Congratulations on becoming this year "Arcade Champion" Bert. Well done.  

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:00:52 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Awesome write up Santa! Congrats Bert!

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:43:35 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I only needed a couple more points for 4th on the leader board.

The top three positions are locked up, but I can get 4th.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Edited: 09/05/2016 at 12:44 PM by mbd39

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:10:49 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Awesome write-up, Santa! Love it!

Thanks for listing who needs contest icons. I'll get on that  

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:21:09 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: mbd39

I only needed a couple more points for 4th on the leader board.

The top three positions are locked up, but I can get 4th.

You can totally do it! I believe in you!  

Also, awesome write up Santa, as usual.  
I might show up again during Road Blasters, but I am pretty much done for the year at the contest. My focus is somewhere else now.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:48:40 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

I might show up again during Road Blasters

Road blasters is terrible. I been playing it. What a pain.

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:20:08 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Well, I am a glutton for punishment, so Road Blasters will fit right in then.

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:58:57 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Haha, cool to see I got 8th place!  

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:26:45 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I've been practicing it too. I played for awhile the other night. I kind of like it. It's just a simple arcade game that is somewhat fun to play for high score.

Not that I'm good at it. I don't know what the contest rules will be, but I always take the default center route, and my high score is around 30k.

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:25:53 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey

I've been practicing it too. I played for awhile the other night. I kind of like it. It's just a simple arcade game that is somewhat fun to play for high score.

Not that I'm good at it. I don't know what the contest rules will be, but I always take the default center route, and my high score is around 30k.

Watch out for Turbo

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:01:38 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I thought it skips levels unless you take the left route? I think it starts you on rally 4, in the beginning, if you pick the center.

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:08:30 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I thought it skips levels unless you take the left route? I think it starts you on rally 4, in the beginning, if you pick the center.

Yeah it starts you on rally 4. I just pick it because it's default. I wonder if the contest will require taking the left route.