Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Any info on these Dragon Warrior 2 maps Maps

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:02:10 PM
retrogames12 (50)
(Paul Zagata) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
Any info on these maps for Dragon Warrior 2 would be appreciated. Are these mail aways or did they come with the games ?

Edited: 12/04/2015 at 01:14 PM by retrogames12

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:18:33 PM
acidjaguar (668)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana
Top was mail away and I believe the last pic was one that was included in the cib if my memory serves me correctlt

-------------------------
For sale thread located here: click
Wanted to buy: click

Top wants currently: 
Old NES / SNES era newsletters and mailings
Original GB Chinese games (CHN coding on label)

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:27:35 PM
retrogames12 (50)
Illinois
Originally posted by: acidjaguar

Top was mail away and I believe the last pic was one that was included in the cib if my memory serves me correctlt
Do you know the value of these by any chance ?

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:33:36 PM
acidjaguar (668)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana
Did it come with the mailing envelope and letter?

Eta: $20+ for top one usually and roughly $10-20 on last one

For sale thread located here: click
Wanted to buy: click

Top wants currently: 
Old NES / SNES era newsletters and mailings
Original GB Chinese games (CHN coding on label)

Edited: 12/04/2015 at 01:34 PM by acidjaguar

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:35:37 PM
retrogames12 (50)
Illinois
Originally posted by: acidjaguar

Did it come with the mailing envelope and letter? Eta: $20+ for top one usually and roughly $10-20 on last one
Nope. It did come with a bunch of Dragon Warrior 2 Nintendo Power cutouts.

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:04:55 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Mail away isn't quite the right term, the map was part of the DW1 Nintendo Power giveaway. They included some DW2 items as advertisements.

NP gave away a ton of those, so they are plentiful. Worth around $10 I would say solo.

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:39:30 PM
Webhead123 (30)
(Jordan S.) < El Ripper >
Texas
Yep, the top map/poster was part of Nintendo Power's Dragon Warrior giveaway. I used to have this as a kid and used to obsess over it (I never did get to play DW2). NP gave away lots of them, so they're fairly plentiful. If I wasn't flat broke right now, I'd offer to buy it off you.

I'm less familiar with the second poster.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Now Playing: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Switch)
Last Beaten: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-2929-9013-9208

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:42:58 PM
Daria (29)
(Alexandria Sanchez) < King Solomon >
Florida
That's in much nicer shape than mine.

Anyway if you'll notice the poster is made of like thin magazine stock type paper. Nothing like the pack-in quality you find with other NES inserts.

edit: refering to the bottom image.

Check out DariaPlaysRPGs on Youtube for Reviews on translated, homebrew, and classic RPGs.

Looking to buy a copy of Shining Force Genesis - Complete in excellent condition

Edited: 12/04/2015 at 06:43 PM by Daria

Oct 4, 2018 at 3:20:31 PM
Zaqwert (0)

< Cherub >
Florida
Edit: To be honest I'm really not 100% positive of my answer. One of these was included with the game, the other was the mail away form I noted above, but I can't say for 100% certain which is which.

I have the full answer for the OP's question.

The first two images he included are the front and back of the poster that was included with the game. It was also given out through various promotions to help promote Dragon Warrior II, as others above me have noted. Given that everyone who bought the game at retail got this poster (and even some people who didn't) it is going to be the more common of the two and would be needed to have a "CIB" version of the game.

The final image is a mail away poster. On the final page/back cover of the manual that was included with the game, there was a form you could fill out to have a more detailed map (along with more explicit secrets) sent to you. This is the poster that they would send to you. I would imagine it's far less common than the first poster just because it was not included in the game and only a subset of the people who purchased the game sent in for it. This poster wouldn't be needed for a CIB version of the game, but is a nice little bonus add-on for collectors.

Edited: 10/05/2018 at 05:36 PM by Zaqwert

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:51:57 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Webhead123

Yep, the top map/poster was part of Nintendo Power's Dragon Warrior giveaway. I used to have this as a kid and used to obsess over it (I never did get to play DW2). NP gave away lots of them, so they're fairly plentiful.
Yeah, I wore mine ragged reading about DW2 for at least a year before finally getting it for my birthday.

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:54:43 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Zaqwert

The first two images he included are the front and back of the poster that was included with the game. It was also given out through various promotions to help promote Dragon Warrior II, as others above me have noted. Given that everyone who bought the game at retail got this poster (and even some people who didn't) it is going to be the more common of the two and would be needed to have a "CIB" version of the game.
The top two images (reverse sides of the same poster) definitely came in an envelope from Nintendo Power as part of the Dragon Warrior 1 giveaway/promotion.

During what time period was it included with Dragon Warrior 2?

I don't remember ever having a second copy of that map, and had DW2 as a new game in the summer of 1991.

Edited: 10/04/2018 at 04:55 PM by arch_8ngel

Oct 5, 2018 at 5:32:26 PM
Zaqwert (0)

< Cherub >
Florida
I'm not so sure myself anymore.

I got Dragon Warrior 2 at retail and I thought it was included with mine and still have it to this day. Likewise if you go on ebay and search, you'll see it's included in some the CIB sets people are selling. But there are also people selling this poster with letters from ENIX and such. So it seems to me it was both a pack in with the game (at least some versions) and a promotional item to help sell the game? Then again people are also selling CIB sets that have the 2nd poster, so maybe IT was the pack in and the first was the mail away and I was mistaken.

The first image OP included seems to have cut off the purple text "Labyrinth World of" at the top btw, helpful for identifying it.

It certainly is possible that it was not included with all copies of DW2 from the beginning, perhaps it started as a promotional item and then was later bundled with the game? I forget when I bought my copy of DW2 but it was definitely well after its release and the game had been out for quite awhile.

The more I look at them the more confused I am about which was the pack in and which was the mailer though. It would make more sense for the mailer to also be the promo so maybe I just have it backwards in my first post. I have both posters so I could easily be confused about which is which, same story could go for the people selling copies on ebay. I updated my first post to reflect that.

Regardless, one of these def. came with the game and the other was the mail away one you got if you filled out the form on the last page of the manual, but I can't say which is which. I have both and I know acquired one through the mail and the other had to come with the game.

Edited: 10/05/2018 at 05:44 PM by Zaqwert

Jun 22 at 5:21:03 PM
Dwedit (0)
(Dan Weiss) < Crack Trooper >
Illinois
My copy came with the bottom item (the map and spoilers), and did not come with the top item (the monster/item guide). I didn't even know the top one existed.