Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NEScapade #002 - Caveman Games On a mission to play, beat, stream, and review the entire NES library.

LOCKED TOPIC

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:16:47 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Gloves

Nice! Did you finish those RPGs that were giving you a rough time?  

Almost. One more to go. Willow is freaking BEAUTIFUL. I wouldn't doubt Nintendo was inspired to make a Link to the Past based on it. It has to have some of the best visuals on the system as a whole and while they get a little repetative i couldn't help but forget that in war playing an 8 bit console at times. P.S. this is not the review.

-------------------------

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:16:51 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Hey Jose, I'm working on a new thread here in Collector's Corner with you in mind.   Hope to post it today still... been a long time in the making.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:20:33 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Nintendo_Junkie

Can you please let me write a chapter on the great display signage of the early days and retail setups! :-)

Wouldn't mind a guest article at all. If it makes the cut you'll also get a portion of the profit relative to the amount of the book you're in. *if* there's a profit that is. I'm actually willing to sell the book at a small loss if there aren't enough buyers....I need to sell a minimum of 250 to break even at print cost of a minimum order @ $39.99 / copy. And those are only estimated costs.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:21:53 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Braveheart69

Hey Jose, I'm working on a new thread here in Collector's Corner with you in mind.   Hope to post it today still... been a long time in the making.

Can it be? Oddball region stuffs? Dare I even dream of the full *list*

Edited: 02/07/2017 at 10:23 PM by PowerPlayers

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:03:18 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Well I just spent 30 minutes typing it all up and thanks to NA's craptastic non copy/paste allowing my whole thread got deleted.  

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:56:35 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Braveheart69

Well I just spent 30 minutes typing it all up and thanks to NA's craptastic non copy/paste allowing my whole thread got deleted.  

:V hey maybe just give me the list and i can make it NA Copy/Paste friendly. Start with the turtles stuff....maybe work out way into Spain and Italy. Take a trip to Brazil....and you know those pesky confusing "Worldwide" things too.

>_>

But seriously next time just format it in OpenOffice/LibreOffice as a table then NA literally accept it the way you formatted it.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:24:12 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Here is what I envision the site to look like...maybe. Used a sketch I made for another version of this website I've been planning for years now. I want to publish my atlases, guides, reviews, gameplay videos, collector data, articles I write, and any interesting news for companies like Nintendo, Sega, Atari, Capcom, Konami...basically the big players back in the day.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:51:43 PM
Theonewiththebun (0)
(Mickey Austrich) < Cherub >
New York
Books are p cool! 👌

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:02:15 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Minor update: Here's the revised list of Unlicened PAL & Sachen exclusive games I'll be playing. Anything you see missing in the Unlicensed PAL list means it's available in one way or another in the US, and anything you see missing in the Sachen list is available in the US or PAL regions somehow.

Final Brazil list coming soon.

Australia 4 in 1 Mindblower Pack
Australia Arctic Adventure, Penguin & Seal
Australia Duck Maze
Australia Jackpot
Australia Little Red Hood
Australia Othello
Australia Pipemania
Australia Twin Eagle
Spain Creatom
Spain El Bloque Magico
Spain El Destructor
Spain Gluk the Thunder Warrior
Spain La Gran Aventura Submarina
Spain La Guerra del Golfo
Spain Policeman
Spain Skate Boy
Spain Tanque
Sachen Taiwan Mahjong
Sachen Middle School English
Sachen Lucky Bingo
Sachen Honey Peach
Sachen Bingo 75
Sachen Mahjong World, The
Sachen Pyramid II
Sachen Millionaire
Sachen Dancing Blocks
Sachen Chess Academy
Sachen Hell Fighter
Sachen Locksmith
Sachen Poker Mahjong
Sachen Great Wall, The
Sachen Final Combat
Sachen Tasac
Sachen Huge Insect
Sachen Cosmo Cop
Sachen Tough Cop
Sachen Taiwan Mahjong II
Sachen Mahjong School
Sachen Mahjong Partner
Sachen Jovial Race
Sachen Hidden Chinese Chess
Sachen Mahjong Trap
Sachen Challenge of the Dragon
Sachen Poker I
Sachen Poker II
Sachen Strategist
Sachen Olympic I.Q.
Sachen Happy Pairs
Sachen Auto-Upturn
Sachen Magic Cube
Sachen Chinese Checkers
Sachen Poker III
Sachen Super Pang I
Sachen Super Pang II
Sachen Po Po Team
Sachen Rockball
Sachen Silver Eagle
Sachen Q-Boy
Sachen Street Heroes
Sachen Jurassic Boy
Sachen Gaiapolis
Sachen Thunder Blaster Man
Sachen Super Cartridge Version 2 - 10-in-1
Sachen Super Cartridge Version 3 - 8-in-1
Sachen Super Cartridge Version 8 - 4-in-1

Edited: 02/16/2017 at 12:23 PM by PowerPlayers

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:19:57 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
So besides the following games, I can't find any unique Brazilian NES games that are 72 pins.
  1. Crime Busters
  2. Fighting Hero
  3. Fire Dragon
  4. Futebol
Futebol is a reskin of Ultimate League Soccer using local Brazilian teams, so it qualifies as its own unique game. If anyone has any other information please share! I would love to see any other 72 pin NES games not on my list. So there you have it, as far as I know there are a total of 858 Unique 72-Pin cartridges with unique games on them. All of them will be played, completed, recorded, and reviewed in full.

Now that the list is complete I will have a lot more time to do more gaming!

Feb 28, 2017 at 1:13:17 AM
PeteDiak (195)
(Pete Diak) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
herd this story before

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:48:16 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Well, I'm approaching a crossroads.

My NES collection currently sits at 213 games, not counting the ones I'm avoiding playing since they're AAA fan favorite titles I've got 157 playable NES games for the forseeable future. I just reviewed my 134th game last night, meaning I have 23 games left to play in my physical collection. As much as I want to go for a full set, I don't have the funds or space to give to them, I also want to avoid emulation as much as possible, I also made the decision to review SE instead of WCTM, and locating Mah Jong, the PAL exclusives, HES, Sachen, Brazil, and Gluk games will be nearly impossible to do in a short time too.

Now, I can probably sell items in my collection to fund normal stuff, but then I'm sacrificing my collection and also picking up stuff I don't really want in my collection. OR, I can emulate a lot of stuff and sacrifice the legitimacy of the reviews. I intended to emulate the super expensive stuff anyway (SE, Mah Jong, and other $100+ items) but I'm not sure I am willing to emulate/powerpak the rest of the stuff either.

I wanted to gather your guys opinions (if anyone actually reads these updates) on what I should do here.

This project has been an incredible journey so far and we're only about 15% of the way there! What started as just a way to keep my mind occupied after a tragedy has become a full fledged pleasure. So, in response to you Pete, I don't plan to give up on this project as I've done in the past especially considering I've made this far already, I guess I'm a little more dedicated on this given the fact that I want to dedicate the book to my son and give money from the sales to a charity.

Anyway, I think I'm going to Disneyworld later this month so I think the 23 games I have left *should* be finished by early next month. I'm planning on staying for 2 weeks in Orlando, Miami, and Key West, and I'm not bringing my NES with me.

Edited: 03/01/2017 at 09:49 AM by PowerPlayers

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:14:20 AM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Realistically an Everdrive/Powerpak is the most feasibility method. I say go for it as it doesn't truly jeopardize the legitimacy of you playing the games. The only difference I and probably the vast majority would see is you aren't playing it on an actual cart but you are using the same technology.

May the force be with you.

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:53:28 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Foochie776

Realistically an Everdrive/Powerpak is the most feasibility method. I say go for it as it doesn't truly jeopardize the legitimacy of you playing the games. The only difference I and probably the vast majority would see is you aren't playing it on an actual cart but you are using the same technology.

I understand there's some games that don't work on the Everdrive and PowerPak, correct?

There are maybe another 100 games or so I want to add to my final NES collection, but I certainly don't want to go after all 858 unique cartridges plus the additional 60 or so to simply complete the set. I can consider going after the games that aren't compatible. I'm trying to compromise as little as possible on a shoestring budget  

Edited: 03/01/2017 at 09:13 PM by PowerPlayers

Mar 3, 2017 at 9:35:58 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Looking for people who have some knowledge on how to run a twitch channel. I want to figure out how to record my NES without adding lag. I need the ability to play R.O.B. and Zapper games while recording a crispy image for archival purposes and at the same time stream it live.

Maybe some sort of lag free AV splitter? This is posing a real challenge.

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:03:25 PM
John198X (0)
(John -) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Originally posted by: JosephLeo

I understand there's some games that don't work on the Everdrive and PowerPak, correct?

There are maybe another 100 games or so I want to add to my final NES collection, but I certainly don't want to go after all 858 unique cartridges plus the additional 60 or so to simply complete the set. I can consider going after the games that aren't compatible. I'm trying to compromise as little as possible on a shoestring budget  

Up-to-date Everdrive compatibility list is here:
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.ph...

For the USA & PAL licensed games you plan to cover, I belive it would work for all but this handful of MMC5 cartridges:
Bandit Kings of Ancient China, Gemfire, L'Empereur, Laser Invasion, Nobunaga's Ambition II, Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, and Uncharted Waters.
In my experience, these games run, but ALL the graphical data is being pulled from the wrong locations, so every screen is just visual garbage.

That list only has a handful of unlicensed games on it, so that could be very hit or miss. I really haven't looked into it.

1,000 game challenge 10/22/16 - 03/23/19
532 Games Beaten * 
nes-308 * sms-42
tgx-17 gen-29 snes-43 * ps-22
ps2-4 * gb-55 * gbc-12

Edited: 03/04/2017 at 06:04 PM by John198X

Mar 4, 2017 at 7:19:48 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: John198X

Up-to-date Everdrive compatibility list is here:
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=340.0

For the USA & PAL licensed games you plan to cover, I belive it would work for all but this handful of MMC5 cartridges:
Bandit Kings of Ancient China, Gemfire, L'Empereur, Laser Invasion, Nobunaga's Ambition II, Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, and Uncharted Waters.
In my experience, these games run, but ALL the graphical data is being pulled from the wrong locations, so every screen is just visual garbage.

That list only has a handful of unlicensed games on it, so that could be very hit or miss. I really haven't looked into it.

Wow, thanks for that  

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:38:33 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
AAAAAAND, Pause.

Yesterday I've dislocated my shoulder while trying to catch my son from flipping over and falling to a major injury, I thankfully saved him but hurt myself in the process (100% worth it though) so I'm going to be unable to play games for the next few weeks. After I heal, we're going to Disneyworld so I won't be playing there either. However, once I return I will be doing some major changes that I've finally decided upon.

Next, I will be adding HKGCC and Brazilian Pirate games to the list, this will add a few hundred titles I think. If anyone finds any other exclusive 72-Pin games then I will also add those to the list as well. I want to complete as many 72-Pin NES games as physically possible, whether they are Licensed, Unlicensed, Pirate, or Competition, Homebrew, or even Test cartridge, they are all part of the games I want to play.

Next, I will be including the games I've previously EXCLUDED. That means I have to play Myriad 6-IN-1 and Caltron 6-IN-1, Stadium Events and World Class Track Meet, Mario and Duck Hunt and SMB/DH and SMB/DH/WCTM. Etc. etc. The only thing I'm excluding now is duplicate licensed PAL games...UNLESS they have different titles, which means I'm playing Probotector and Contra, Heavy Shreddin' and Snowboard Challenge, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. I will not be playing stuff like 'ArchRivals: A Basketbrawl' vs. 'ArchRivals: Ein Basketbrawl" though since that's just a title translation.

There will also be a Twitch stream now. I want this all to be documented properly and streaming it live will keep up my morale a bit too.

Finally, I will restart from game #1, this time playing games by year, starting with 1985 moving up to 1995 until the list is complete for licensed games. I will also be throwing in a few unlicensed games between then to make sure Licensed/Unlicensed are finished at the same time.

All of these changes will begin when I return from Disneyworld.

Edited: 03/11/2017 at 02:38 PM by PowerPlayers

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:56:55 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
So basically, this will never get finished?

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:39:31 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: dra600n

So basically, this will never get finished?

It's getting done alright!

Like I mentioned to Pete already, this book is going to be dedicated to my son and if it were for any other reason I might have already gave up. But I have no problems doing at least *this* in memory of my son, he used to love holding controller 2, or the WiiU gamepad while I played NES with him and his twin brother, so everytime I turn on my NES it's a way for me to remember him.

Now, I want to do a stream as well so that way I can prove I actually played these games instead of just watch someone else's longplay/stream and review it based on that. I also can keep the current 134 reviews I've done so far, but that would cut the stream short now, and I want to publish the reviews on a website too, making them a little longer than just a short mini review and a chart like I initially planned. There is a money incentive to it too, but I don't see it being a dependable income seeing as how the "Retro" channel on Twitch gets about 620 viewers per day on average. Not to mention the fact that I'm still going to be donating to charity throughout the entire ordeal as well.

Last, I don't intend on including the extra stuff I'm adding on into the book without increasing the cost of the book, I don't think the content is worth the additional price given the shitty nature of the other stuff. As it sits the books is estimated to be around 492 pages of just reviews thanks to the inflated size of the new reviews, and an additional 240-300 pages of articles and maps. The book will be split into two volumes like I've mentioned in a past update too, so the cost is expected to sit around $35-$40 per copy counting freight, warehousing, packaging, and shipping costs. The book should contain just USA/PAL/Sachen games, not the extra Brazilian and Asian/HK/Korean region stuff, but we'll see how it goes and how low I can broker the price without sacrificing quality.

That being said, the book is no longer on schedule for xmas 2017 because of this. But I'm increasing the overall content for the better. My reviews would have fit 3 on one 9x12 page, now I can only fit 2 on a page, and some with a full page review, and AAA stuff with an even more in depth review than that...or special cases like Action 52 + Cheetahmen 2 getting an entire 30 pages to themselves.

So in short, I have to restart to get three projects done in one stone, a book, a website, and a stream.

I can't let down my son. This is happening.

Edit: Also, after a preliminary lookup on the HKGCC/Brazilian Pirate library listed here on NA, I only have to play less than 80 additional titles based on pure exclusivity. A lot of them are decent games too.

Edited: 03/13/2017 at 02:01 PM by PowerPlayers

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:04:33 PM
DarkKobold (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Utah

Next, I will be including the games I've previously EXCLUDED. That means I have to play Myriad 6-IN-1 and Caltron 6-IN-1, Stadium Events and World Class Track Meet, Mario and Duck Hunt and SMB/DH and SMB/DH/WCTM. Etc. etc. The only thing I'm excluding now is duplicate licensed PAL games...UNLESS they have different titles, which means I'm playing Probotector and Contra, Heavy Shreddin' and Snowboard Challenge, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. I will not be playing stuff like 'ArchRivals: A Basketbrawl' vs. 'ArchRivals: Ein Basketbrawl" though since that's just a title translation.

This doesn't make a whole ot of sense. Myriad is literally the exact same as Caltron, with a $600 sticker slapped on the front. If you are emulating/power-pak/everdrive whatever, are you just going to 'pretend' the Everdrive has a $600 sticker on the front? Also, if you are including HES, doesn't that mean you'd also need to play the "Real Player's Pak?" If label variants count, do you need to play both the Metroid label variants? The Untouchables variants? Gold AND Gray Zelda carts? Also, then, do you need to play every Sachen multicart? Hope you like playing Little Red Hood and Double Strike... there are probably 4-6 variants each.

I get it, I'm trying to collect as many 72 pin carts as possible. But I don't need Little Red Hood HES, Litte Red Hood Sachen, Fun Blaster Pak, AND Super Cartridge 3: 8-in-1...

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:21:49 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: DarkKobold

This doesn't make a whole ot of sense. Myriad is literally the exact same as Caltron, with a $600 sticker slapped on the front. If you are emulating/power-pak/everdrive whatever, are you just going to 'pretend' the Everdrive has a $600 sticker on the front? Also, if you are including HES, doesn't that mean you'd also need to play the "Real Player's Pak?" If label variants count, do you need to play both the Metroid label variants? The Untouchables variants? Gold AND Gray Zelda carts? Also, then, do you need to play every Sachen multicart? Hope you like playing Little Red Hood and Double Strike... there are probably 4-6 variants each.

I get it, I'm trying to collect as many 72 pin carts as possible. But I don't need Little Red Hood HES, Litte Red Hood Sachen, Fun Blaster Pak, AND Super Cartridge 3: 8-in-1...

I what wholeheartedly agree with you but I am including them just for the sake of not allowing people to say "I forgot X" after the fact. I actually know a guy locally with a Stadium Events, Myriad, and the Panesians so I'll be able to play them on legitimate cartridges eventually. I believe games are games and cartridges are cartridges and that there's no difference between the game content of Stadium Events and World Class Track Meet besides a title screen and graphic design changes...but again I just want to dispel any naysayers before I have to.

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:44:30 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
A lot of that seems really unnecessary (playing Myriad and Caltron). Are you also going to play all 3 identical versions of Impossible Mission II, the half dozen different versions of Racermate II, multiple releases of Action 52 and on and on.  Some of those are at least different ROMs and more than a label swap, but still.  You've got to be realistic about this if you are ever going to finish it.

Edited: 03/13/2017 at 05:47 PM by pegboy

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:08:24 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: pegboy

A lot of that seems really unnecessary (playing Myriad and Caltron). Are you also going to play all 3 identical versions of Impossible Mission II, the half dozen different versions of Racermate II, multiple releases of Action 52 and on and on.  Some of those are at least different ROMs and more than a label swap, but still.  You've got to be realistic about this if you are ever going to finish it.

I'm gonna play as much as I physically can. First enough to compile the book, then enough to finish the "Etler" list, then enough to complete exclusive content I might have missed or otherwise enjoyed which includes all known 72-pin games and maybe some 60-pin games. All three projects are related but still independent of each other in a way that allows me to have as much flexibility as possible.

In the stream I might have Throwback Thursday on the stream where I replay games I liked, or even go offbeat and play a Dreamcast game at random

In the website I might even review that dreamcast game as well, but not have it in the book. I might even throw up a random nongaming video on there, or a tutorial on how to setup a twitch account with retro games.

in the book I might list all known major variants and never play them in the stream but make a video about it and throw it on the website.

Hope that clears the air a bit. I don't really know how things will go until they get going...I know I can play NES games through completion in bulk, I know I can make nice graphics and do a book layout. I know I can record video too. But who knows where the project will go. I am setting outlines of where I want to go at the end, but the means of getting there are still not fully determined.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:55:08 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
And here's the prototype for the stream.

Can be a lot cleaner, but I think it's good enough to start with. Webcam setup will probably be a faceless setup showing just my hands and the controller, still not decided on that yet.

Streaming rig will be my NES hooked up to a CRT via composite out. Video/Audio will be split directly into my PC and will look like the classic blurry NES. To make everything even more legitimate, all PAL games will be played on a PAL NES, Gluk games I will try to get a Silver Shadow Basic console to play on, Brazilian games I will try to get a Phantom System to play on, and I'm going to have to locate a copy of Mah Jong and an Asian version NES too in order to complete the mission.

I might not ever get to play Stadium Events in NTSC, but there's nothing stopping me from playing a PAL version either. Wonder if I can find someone who'll let me play their copy of NWC one day...and maybe I should reconsider playing all the different PAL "doubles" because how on earth am I going to get my hands on a copy of Phantom Air Mission?