Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Black Label" vs Greatest Hits, Players Choice etc.

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:27:58 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
@teknos

Bro hug

-------------------------

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:00:10 PM
ZBomber (6)
< El Ripper >
Massachusetts
I tend to go with a "Greatest Hits" version for PS3 games if it includes DLC not on the original. Otherwise I try to stick with the originals but ultimately it isn't a big deal.

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:31:15 PM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Interesting I haven't posted in this yet...

I go for black label whenever possible. The colored labels just stick out in a sea of black labels...bugs the hell out of me when I look at my collection. I suppose I can blame this on my mild OCD when it comes to my collection, or maybe it's my Aspergers since I'm obsessed with collecting because of that...hm...really idk. One of the two...take your pick.

I make exceptions of course...if I find a rare game that's a GH or something for a buck at a yard sale when it goes for $100 online, of course I'm going to grab it. I'll keep it in my collection until I find a black label to replace it. Still bugs the hell out of me though lol.

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:54:06 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Is there such thing as a rare game with a greatest hits?

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Jul 8, 2016 at 12:54:57 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
heheh good point. They were greatest hits because they sold well. Maybe he means expensive.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:00:16 PM
SnowSauce (5)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: quest4nes

Is there such thing as a rare game with a greatest hits?

Sonic/SMB and Battlefront II are considered to be tough to find.

NintendoAge's Resident Tony Hawk Pro Skater Collector 

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:32:32 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
For me it's weird...

1. I have been collecting for the PS1 for about 16 years now.
I do not like the "Longbox games" at all.
The two Longboxes I own are X-com UFO Defense and Psychic Detective. That's it.

2. However, I cannot stand "Greatest Hits" titles opn the PS1 either. I'll pass on them every time - even if I need the title.

This causes a conflict for me hunting down all the jewel case games.

As such, I have 3 "Greatest Hits" titles in my library that I do not think have black label jewel case counterparts
- Tekken
- Twisted Metal
- Air Combat

As much of an eyesore as they are, I do not think black label jewel case versions of these games exist.
I thought the same about Rayman for the longest time, but was able to snag a black label jewel case version and was overjoyed.

...One more thing thaty KILLS me in some youtube vidoes.

A guilty pleasure of mine is looking through countless "Top Ten" lists
to get a peak at some games I don't own - or never heard of.

For Playstation 1 & 2 specifically, some people throw out a price point for "Black label games."
EVEN IF THE GAME NEVER RECIEVED A "GREATEST HITS" VERSION IN THE FIRST PLACE.

THAT really grinds my gears.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:56:16 PM
meta-mark (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
I cannot stand the GameCube Player's Choice labels and actively avoid buying any. Most of my collection is cartridges and I only have about 40 GameCube games and they are ALL black label. The gc labels are my favorite of any system, black on the bottom great graphics with the name in the top. Have the bottom be yellow for 1 or 2 would ruin the way the shelf looks.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:22:02 PM
goldenpp72 (77)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

For me it's weird...

2. However, I cannot stand "Greatest Hits" titles opn the PS1 either. I'll pass on them every time - even if I need the title.

As such, I have 3 "Greatest Hits" titles in my library that I do not think have black label jewel case counterparts
- Tekken
- Twisted Metal
- Air Combat

As much of an eyesore as they are, I do not think black label jewel case versions of these games exist.
I thought the same about Rayman for the longest time, but was able to snag a black label jewel case version and was overjoyed.

For Playstation 1 & 2 specifically, some people throw out a price point for "Black label games."

I hate to ruin your life but, I had this struggle too and here are some examples of Black label copies of those titles. I don't buy the long box game versions unless they are the only ones that exist, so i've found these so far   In fact, I think I have a spare Black Label TM copy but I believe it has the incorrect disc and is pretty worn unfortunately.

I know the pain, I figured you might care to know though  

My list of games and hardware i'd like to find
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

My topic for selling and trading games
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Edited: 07/08/2016 at 06:26 PM by goldenpp72

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:50:17 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

For me it's weird...

- Tekken
- Twisted Metal
- Air Combat

I do the same thing Santa, I have been looking for a copy of Symphony of the Night and have passed on 3 now that were GH.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:13:52 PM
scaryice (115)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois

The only game that only has a greatest hits jewel case (and no black label) is WWF Wrestlemania Arcade.

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (56 needed):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:05:15 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: scaryice

The only game that only has a greatest hits jewel case (and no black label) is WWF Wrestlemania Arcade.

Good to know! I thought all greatest hits had a black label jewel case but I guess that is not the case :-)

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:32:17 PM
NESnostalgia (23)

(Mike ) < Meka Chicken >
United States
If I see it and its a game I like ill buy it. But I dont count it as part of the collection. Need the black label for it to count. Its a variant imo.

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:55:23 PM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: NESnostalgia

If I see it and its a game I like ill buy it. But I dont count it as part of the collection. Need the black label for it to count. Its a variant imo.
Not a bad way to look at it at all. 

gamevaluenow

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:56:09 PM
bobholly138 (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

Just curious, do you care if your games are black label or Greatest Hits? Do you skip titles you want just because they're not black label? Why do you care? Does anybody collect only greatest hits? Do you just buy whatever and not give any shits? When organising do you go alphabetical regardless or separate the black label from the GH? Let the OCD ensue!

As long as the game works I don't care if it is GH or whatever.But I have been like this since I started collecting Atari 2600 and Colecovision stuff in 88. Back then ,pre-ebay,you couldn't be as choosy. We looked for a copy of Pitfall II for right at 3 years. Then found it. The label was a bit ripped and the lady wanted $5 for it. Back then we rarely paid more than a buck for 2600 stuff. Still got it cause I had been wanting a copy for years.

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:48:42 PM
ferris182 (0)

< Cherub >
I actually prefer GH games for 2 main reasons:

-they are usually cheaper

-they tend to be in better condition than black label games as they have typically not have traded as many hands as the first print game.

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:18:07 AM
DeuceGamer (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: goldenpp72

I think there is a middle ground here, they are different products but they are the same game. As collectors, one of the things that defines us is that we collect, which means we theme, find differences, etc. In reality, if there was no such thing as a greatest hits line then there likely would never be more than one release back then. To me, that does define it as basically 2 'product' on a physical level, but 1 product at the code level. Basically, not much designates an original print, but this does, and as collectors that often matters.

In reality, there are hundreds of kinds of collectors, we should all get along and try to learn from each other. I don't buy greatest hits because I hate the way they look, if you don't mind it, then I don't mind it either   People buy only new, cart only, in box, screw variants, on all systems, on one system, full sets, not full sets, it's silly to try and fight over the type you are, I don't agree with many things but I respect everyone's right to do as they please.

To put my cards on the table, I only collect black label, I collect on 40 platforms(ish), I don't collect full sets (outside of a couple small ones), I do not buy sealed titles unless the price is the same, and I take pride in my setup being designed to play the games while displaying them nicely. So, I could go an argue about sealed collectors or whatever, but in reality I just don't care. If anything, it's nice to have them focused on things I don't care about so they don't fight me on the stuff I do  

As usual a solid, well thought out post by you sir and I agree with your points! 

BTW, hope your collecting id going well