Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure The best "kids" game ever?

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:50:16 AM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I am hesitant to make this thread for one reason: anyone who isn't already aware of how good this game is will find out about it and end up spending too much of their money!

For those that don't know, this is a Gauntlet-style game designed for younger players. The gimmick is that the game comes with a physical "portal" and figurines. The figures have RFID chips inside that store their stats and items as they level up. To play the game, you place a figure on the portal and the related character appears on the screen.

I just discovered this game a few days ago and went balls deep. I own the Wii version along with almost every figure available at this time. Ultimately, there will be a total of 32 regular figures and 5 special figures. I have been playing this with my friend (we are both age 30+) and it is not only fun, but a well-designed and programmed game. The graphics and great.

The portal is very responsive and you can switch figures at will. Each figure has an element type (water, fire, wind, etc) and there are certain sections that can only be accessed by a specific type. There are also enemies which are weaker against certain types. So the game encourages you to swap in the best type for the moment (and to also to go out and buy new figures of types you don't already own).

The game comes with three figures and you could theoretically get through the game with them. However, the chances of anyone not succumbing to the desire for more figures is probably zero. The figures are $7-8 each, or a little cheaper if you buy them in a three-pack. There will also be a total of three add-on levels available (two are currently in stores), which open up new areas. The game is already very re-playable, as you will undoubtedly need to play through each level a few times to "complete it". The game keeps track of items and secrets that you missed and awards stars for completion.

One thing that some people will hate, but I personally love, is that the game has zero online component. This is not downloadable DLC. It is all physical in the form of figures you place on the portal. Yes, this means you are paying extra to unlock content already on the disc. I actually prefer this method as it means the game will work for the rest of my life, instead of ceasing to exist whenever the publisher shuts down or the platform is obsolete. It also means that character loading is instantaneous and not reliant on an internet connection.

The figures are 100% multi-platform and portable. You can take your figures from your Wii to a friend's PS3 and it will load all of your current stats directly from the chip inside the figure. The game is available for literally every current platform: PS3, Wii, 360, PC, Mac, and 3DS. There is also a additional browser-based game which you can play by entering codes that come packaged with each figure.

Anyway, enough typing. This game is great fun for kids and adults. Check it out if you haven't already. I won't fault you if your first response to seeing the game is "what the hell is this crap? lol" because that is pretty much everyone's first response to the game. Once you read into it, see videos of the gameplay, and try the game yourself, you will change your mind.

-------------------------
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:55:26 AM
Rengozu (54)
(Jeff Smith) < Lolo Lord >
Tennessee
Been curious about it since it was announced and have found myself staring at it a couple of times in the store. Good thing is this is on my kids Christmas list so maybe eventually they'll let me play this holiday.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:46:33 PM
ndcapo (42)
< Eggplant Wizard >
North Dakota
Thanks for the review. I have been looking at this game but wasn't sure I wanted to spend the cash.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:43:11 PM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
I am getting the Wii version for one of my kids for xmas.
My kids currently each have one figure which they play with in mock battles.
Any idea which figures are available in Canada, and which figures are not yet released?

Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:39:40 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
Currently available:
Bash
Prism Break
Terrafin
Eruptor
Flameslinger
Stealth Elf
Stump Smash
Spyro
Voodood
Boomer
Drill Sergeant (Walmart only)
Drobot
Trigger Happy
Chop Chop
Ghost Roaster
Gill Grunt
Zap
Sonic Boom
Ignitor (3DS only)

Available in the US but I have yet to find here:
Wrecking Ball
Dino-Rang
Hex
Whirlwind (Target only)

Available starting December 4th according to Walmart:
Sunburn
Camo
Zook
Double Trouble
Cynder
Slam Bam
Wham-Shell
Lightning Rod
Warnado
Whirlwind

Also the Target and Walmart exclusives end on Dec 4th. I'd say that starting in mid-Dec, you should be able to find any figure you want at any of the usual stores (Toys R Us, Walmart, Best Buy).

Edited: 11/16/2011 at 06:41 PM by Zing

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:18:11 PM
gumgum14 (3)

(Ben S) < Eggplant Wizard >
New South Wales
ive been looking at this for the 3ds as i dont really have any 3ds games yet. Thanks for the review

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:40:59 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
Note that the 3DS version is completely different than any other version. It is a pure platformer, similar to the old Spyro games, where you just run and jump around to get gems. From what people have been reporting, the 3DS version is over in about 4-5 hours of play.

Just yesterday I reached the final chapter of the Wii version. I don't know exactly how many hours it took us to get there, but it spanned probably 7 play sessions of at least three hours each, so maybe 25 hours or so. There are also the adventure packs, which I haven't tried yet, but are reported to be relatively long compared to the regular levels.

Edited: 11/16/2011 at 08:41 PM by Zing

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:19:07 AM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
What site has info on upcoming release dates for additional figures?
I think the Dec 4th date must have been pushed back.
I'm hoping to surprise my kids xmas morning with some of those new ones.
Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:20:35 AM
Zing (23)
Ontario
It appears that the figures are out of stock at the supplier level. This may indicate a problem, or it may indicate that the slow boat from China has yet to arrive with the next batch of figures. Time will tell.