Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Retro-Bit Re-releasing Metal Storm in a Collector's Edition Similar to Holy Diver

Sep 17 at 4:14:22 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida
Originally posted by: punch-out!!84

Meh, I have the original cart. I have no desire for any of these licensed retro games like SF II 30th anniversary, Shadows of the Empire, etc. I only want the Nintendo seal of approval versions.
I'd rather have this than the Nintendo seal  

Metal-Storm-M308-Figurine-1-540x

Honestly, I see the apeal of the original game, and also this new limited edition. Between the two, I think this is really quite impressive not to mention that on ebay a Metal Storm cartridge is more expensive than a brand new limited edition shipped! On the other hand the LRG Star Wars re-release game was a complete meh to me.

Edited: 09/17/2019 at 04:14 PM by avatar!

Sep 17 at 4:14:28 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: gunpei

Originally posted by: quest4nes

Originally posted by: Koopa64

Not rich but willing to unload 50-60 bucks on a single game repro.

Doesnt want to mess with SD files? Dear lord Ive now heard it all. Eye roll.

Im sorry this might offend someone, but You know why they arent rich? Because they buy shit like this.

$60 is still a lot less than $200 - $300 like what Metal Storm seems to go for now.

metal storm is about 100 dollar game. If you are talking about a cib lololol. This is a reproduction. You cant compare a reproduction to a vintage collectable complete in box game. There is no point in collecting fake crap. Either be a collector or dont. If you dont have the funds, spending them on crap like this is the reason why. Some things you want to do or want in life you just cant get. You cant have everything, and not having money and then substituting some reproduction metal storm isnt a wise purchase. Tons of ways to play the game for cheap if you just want to play games as well.

This price isnt that far off from just getting an everdrive. A couple of these and you could have just gotten one. Collect what you want, but its a collasal waste of funds. That apparently seem very limited from what Im hearing.

What is the difference in playing this reproduction than just getting another repro from ebay for 25 bucks or less? This isnt anymore legit. Just because they got the rights to make it, doesnt mean jack. The whole point of colleting to me is based on history. Again, Im not going to say you cant do it, but I sure can laugh my ass off about it.

Collecting to get to play games is just stupid to me. Playing the games, yeah its fine, but its silly to buy games like this because you want to play it.

Why do you hate freedom?

?? Its the definition of freedom. Where did I say nobody can buy it. I said I can have an opinion about whoever buys it. 

-------------------------

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Sep 17 at 4:39:03 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
No dumber to buy a collector's box of a great game than it is to buy a reissue of a great record IMO. Except the game will be exactly the same while new vinyl (and all vinyl!) is crap so it's purely aesthetic   I don't think either is a replacement for the original.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Sep 17 at 5:11:48 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
I disagree. If it is not licensed by the hardware maker it is not a comparable situation.

Sep 17 at 5:26:31 PM
TheArcadeGeek (25)
< Crack Trooper >
Texas
3,000 copies, yet still available to buy today. Not exactly flying off the shelves....

Sep 17 at 5:42:06 PM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

I disagree. If it is not licensed by the hardware maker it is not a comparable situation.
If Nintendo would agree to license new NES games, I guarantee they would be licensed. 

Hypothetically, if Nintendo did agree to license this and they put the official seal on it, would you then see any value in collecting it?

Sep 17 at 5:49:57 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
Illinois
If Nintendo did license games on vintage hardware, then I would see value collecting it. Anything game released like this are essentially as interesting to me as buying replicas. They may be close to the original, but they just aren't worth my money. It's not that I think they shouldn't exist if people want them. I just think it isn't worth paying more than a few bucks.

Sep 17 at 5:59:35 PM
phart010 (8)
North Carolina

If Nintendo did license games on vintage hardware, then I would see value collecting it. Anything game released like this are essentially as interesting to me as buying replicas. They may be close to the original, but they just aren't worth my money. It's not that I think they shouldn't exist if people want them. I just think it isn't worth paying more than a few bucks.
Fair enough.

But just to be clear, these are not junk repros made in someone’s garage. They are made with a level of quality that would probably be equivalent to what Nintendo themselves would put out today if they were to re-publish NES games themselves. And, these games are being done with the blessing and license from the original software developers. The only thing they are lacking is the stupid Nintendo stamp

Sep 17 at 6:08:36 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
Illinois
I understand, I just can't justify spending that much on an aftermarket copy of a game.

At least with the Analogue consoles and AVS, I have the ability to play games using HDMI without modding my consoles.

Edit: I’m also not really into homebrews. These things are just not my cup of tea.

Edited: 09/17/2019 at 06:09 PM by punch-out!!84

Sep 18 at 2:34:06 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia

Originally posted by: gunpei

Originally posted by: Koopa64

Not rich but willing to unload 50-60 bucks on a single game repro.

Doesnt want to mess with SD files? Dear lord Ive now heard it all. Eye roll.

Im sorry this might offend someone, but You know why they arent rich? Because they buy shit like this.

$60 is still a lot less than $200 - $300 like what Metal Storm seems to go for now.

metal storm is about 100 dollar game. If you are talking about a cib lololol. This is a reproduction. You cant compare a reproduction to a vintage collectable complete in box game. There is no point in collecting fake crap. Either be a collector or dont. If you dont have the funds, spending them on crap like this is the reason why. Some things you want to do or want in life you just cant get. You cant have everything, and not having money and then substituting some reproduction metal storm isnt a wise purchase. Tons of ways to play the game for cheap if you just want to play games as well.

This price isnt that far off from just getting an everdrive. A couple of these and you could have just gotten one. Collect what you want, but its a collasal waste of funds. That apparently seem very limited from what Im hearing.

What is the difference in playing this reproduction than just getting another repro from ebay for 25 bucks or less? This isnt anymore legit. Just because they got the rights to make it, doesnt mean jack. The whole point of colleting to me is based on history. Again, Im not going to say you cant do it, but I sure can laugh my ass off about it.

Collecting to get to play games is just stupid to me. Playing the games, yeah its fine, but its silly to buy games like this because you want to play it.

Why do you hate freedom?

?? Its the definition of freedom. Where did I say nobody can buy it. I said I can have an opinion about whoever buys it. 

lol typical. Talk shit about other people’s individual choices and claim it’s just expressing your own opinion which nobody asked for. If you could sell this authorized special edition in your store you damn sure would. So it's not something you want yourself, cool, so what? Thought you were a meritocratic individualist capitalist. Let the IP holder do what they want to make money off people who want their product. Oh no! I have to say other people are wrong because they like something I don't! FOH with that!

Sep 18 at 9:02:30 AM
noiseredux (26)
(brad ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: phart010

And, these games are being done with the blessing and license from the original software developers.

This is the difference to me. I could buy a repro of Metal Storm on Etsy, and to me, that would just be a repro. But because this is made with Irem's permission, I think of it as a legit release. Granted, it's not the ORIGINAL release. But in my mind it's like a 2nd printing. I can understand why collector's would prefer the original Nintendo branded release. But I like that there's a cheaper alternative, and it's easily distinguishable which version you have.

Sep 18 at 9:15:16 AM
punch-out!!84 (26)
Illinois
I'd consider this more like a legal canvas print of an original piece of art. It may functionally look like the original, but it's value is significantly less and it doesn't take significant value away from the original piece.

Sep 18 at 9:28:19 AM
noiseredux (26)
(brad ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts

I'd consider this more like a legal canvas print of an original piece of art. It may functionally look like the original, but it's value is significantly less and it doesn't take significant value away from the original piece.

I like it!

Sep 18 at 9:56:29 AM
Californication (34)

< Meka Chicken >
I'm not sure what it is, but this game has never looked fun to me. I've never played it, just judging from.gameplay video's. Can someone tell me why they enjoy it?

Sep 18 at 10:07:50 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
The statue is neat atleast. A regular CIB reproduction is lame, but I dont mind as much the extra stuff if you are a big metal storm fan with a collectors edition. Not alot of metal storm merch out there.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Sep 18 at 6:16:41 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida

That remains to be seen whether it takes value away from original Metal Storm cartridges, not to mention what the value of this new release will be in the long run . I think it will lower the value of the original. Simple supply and demand. For instance, I think it would be cool to own a rare-ish game like Metal Storm. Not interested in a repro. However, I don't view this re-release as a repro. And it's cheaper, has official merchandise-collectibles from Irem, and of course the game. Why would I now want the original? Rhetorical question- to each their own but I bet there are others like me and I bet the price will go down for originals, if I had to guess.

Edited: 09/18/2019 at 06:18 PM by avatar!

Sep 18 at 6:29:18 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
Illinois
How have the other retro-bit games affected the value of those Jaleco and Data East games?

No doubt their are people that think the way you do just as people think the way I do. At the end of the day, I hope people enjoy the game. However, these aftermarket games have no allure for me. I'd honestly buy a licensed version of this on the Switch before buying this aftermarket game.

Sep 19 at 10:40:28 AM
MegaMan52 (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: Nesmaster

Originally posted by: VmprHntrD

Looks nice, not for me but I can appreciate the effort. You know this game had a very unrelated spiritual successor on GBC in its late life using a very different IP from an old cartoon. Wendy Every Witch Way uses the same gravity mechanics in a shooting platformer type game with her instead of a mech.

One of the pricier CIBs for GBC now. I blinked and it went from like $40 to $250.

I figured it would eventually. I bought a sealed copy of Wendy Every Witch Way for about $60 in early 2014. Still have it.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaMan52/

Edited: 09/19/2019 at 10:40 AM by MegaMan52

Sep 19 at 10:58:29 AM
phart010 (8)
North Carolina

How have the other retro-bit games affected the value of those Jaleco and Data East games?

No doubt their are people that think the way you do just as people think the way I do. At the end of the day, I hope people enjoy the game. However, these aftermarket games have no allure for me. I'd honestly buy a licensed version of this on the Switch before buying this aftermarket game.
The quality of those other retro bit games was poor. They came in oddly shaped cartridges and the there were some quality issues with boards. 

I think they have made some strides forward since then

Sep 19 at 7:52:18 PM
romiked2689 (60)
< Lolo Lord >
Maryland
Originally posted by: MegaMan52

Originally posted by: Nesmaster

Originally posted by: VmprHntrD

Looks nice, not for me but I can appreciate the effort. You know this game had a very unrelated spiritual successor on GBC in its late life using a very different IP from an old cartoon. Wendy Every Witch Way uses the same gravity mechanics in a shooting platformer type game with her instead of a mech.

One of the pricier CIBs for GBC now. I blinked and it went from like $40 to $250.

I figured it would eventually. I bought a sealed copy of Wendy Every Witch Way for about $60 in early 2014. Still have it.

Is that game really a spiritual successor or is just like the game and completely unrelated just same game mechanics? 

Also I got mine sealed and paid for Cib