Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Wii image faint,flickering, USB devices not getting enough power Advice on replacing internal components

Apr 12 at 9:14:09 PM
Dark Jaguar (1)
(Dark Jaguar) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
My old Wii seems to show some signs of failing components, maybe the voltage regulator or capacitors?

Here's what's going on.  For a few years now, I've had the image start to flicker on and off when I turn the system on.  Now, if I leave the system in standby mode, it seems to wake up nice and reliably, but from a dead stop?  Well, it depends on how long I've left it at no power.  In any case, the flickering slows down and then stops if I leave the system on long enough for it to "warm up".  Further, I've confirmed that the image (going over component at 480p) is far fainter than it used to be, by comparing it to a much healthier unit.  Lastly, the USB ports work basically when they feel like it.  Devices seem to not be getting enough power to turn on all the way, and at this point it's so bad that only one device can activate in either USB port at a time.  Further from a dead stop, neither USB port seems to get enough power, and once again one of them will eventually turn on a little after the image stabilizes.

Note that I have like 3 other Wiis hanging around here, and only one of them shows anything close to these symptoms, with only a mildly faint image and USB ports that only occasionally fail to turn on, and eventually do if left to their own devices for a little bit of time.

Here's my request.  I would prefer to preserve my Wii rather than scrap it and copy my NAND over to another.  Does anyone have any experience with this issue?  If not, does anyone have any advice in which capacitors might be responsible, or if a voltage regulator would be a more likely culprit needing replacing?  I have some rather moderate soldering skills from repairing and modding a few Famicoms, but still not quite enough experience with tracing circuits.  Any help would be welcome, thank you!

-------------------------

Apr 12 at 9:26:37 PM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Are there any liquid filled capacitors on Wii? Can you tell if any of them look bad just by eyeballing it?

Apr 12 at 10:28:29 PM
Dark Jaguar (1)
(Dark Jaguar) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
When I was replacing the damaged disc drive with a spare last week, I hadn't noticed it, but then again my lack of experience showed in that I wasn't sure if i was looking at capacitors on the board either.  They certainly look different than what I'm used to on older systems.

-------------------------