Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Decade's Top 10 Video Games" CNN Article

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:09:28 PM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
"Consider the following list, which highlights 10 of the last decade's best and most influential games. It may be hard to recall their place in history amidst a sea of splashy trailers for "Gears of War 3" or "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light."

But take our word for it: On the eve of potentially mind-blowing outings from "Crysis 2" to "Deus Ex: Human Revolution," the modern era's most acclaimed titles wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the pioneering efforts of these 10 games, making each worth dusting off and replaying as a reminder of just how far we've come."

- The Sims
- BioShock
- Grand Theft Auto 3
- Halo
- Resident Evil 4
- God of War
- Guitar Hero
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- Shadow of the Colossus
- WoW 

-------------------------
https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:22:18 PM
Dinoellis (58)
(Dino Ellis) < Lolo Lord >
California
Where's Little Red Hood?

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:23:53 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Dinoellis

Where's Little Red Hood?

Wrong decade.

Jun 15, 2010 at 4:43:47 PM
recspecz (1)
(Shawn Wilkinson) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois

Where's Little Red Hood?

The game was released 20 years ago! xD

recspecz

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:27:44 PM
Dinoellis (58)
(Dino Ellis) < Lolo Lord >
California
Originally posted by: recspecz

Where's Little Red Hood?

I know lol I'm joking. But seriously where's Superman 64? (please tell me that's a part of this decade) 

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:48:21 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta

Where's Little Red Hood?

I know lol I'm joking. But seriously where's Superman 64? (please tell me that's a part of this decade) 

I'm pretty sure it's referring to the 2000's, so it's still the wrong decade

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Jun 15, 2010 at 8:47:59 PM
Jono1874 (22)
(Mega Man) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Where's Little Red Hood?

I'm pretty sure it's referring to the 2000's, so it's still the wrong decade

so no E.T. on this list then?

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Jono...

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:14:11 PM
zeeko (0)
(Zeek Walters) < Meka Chicken >
Australia

Where's Little Red Hood?

I hope you are still joking

22:20   bunbot:     There's a bit of Zeeko in all of us.
22:24   bunbot:     God didn't create Zeeko, Zeeko created God
22:28   bunbot:     Human life begins at Zeeko

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:31:40 PM
KBcollector (43)

(Josh S) < Lolo Lord >
Kentucky

Guitar Hero - Nothing but a gimmick
Bioshock - decent game but pretty generic imo, other than the atmosphere what did it have to offer?
Halo - can see why they put it there since it revived the shooter genre, still a very generic series though.

Why the hell is Bioshock on the list? How about Uncharted 2, Mario Galaxy,Vice City etc. horrible list imo although i do agree with a few of the picks.

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:31:36 AM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
6 out of 10 maybe, they fail

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:09:54 AM
recspecz (1)
(Shawn Wilkinson) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
Originally posted by: KBcollector

Bioshock - decent game but pretty generic imo, other than the atmosphere what did it have to offer?
Halo - can see why they put it there since it revived the shooter genre, still a very generic series though.

Why the hell is Bioshock on the list? How about Uncharted 2, Mario Galaxy,Vice City etc. horrible list imo although i do agree with a few of the picks.

I imagine vice city came after gta3, and since gta3 took the open sandbox genre to 11 it took precedent.

recspecz

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:52:58 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

It's not the BEST games of the last 10 years, it's the MOST INFLUENTIAL games.  I still wonder at Bioshock's inclusion (or Shadow of the Colossus for that matter), but all the games you mentioned are just more of the same.  And I agree, Vice City wouldn't have been made if GTA 3 didn't come before.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:07:28 AM
SasoriVader (58)
(Shatter Hand) < El Ripper >
Philippines
How the hell is GTA 3 better than San Andreas? And where were the Mario Advance games? And this past decade has had some terrific fighting games. (Arcana Heart, Tekken 5, Soul Calibur 2, Marvel Vs Capcom 2). Oh well. Most people don't use CNN as a source for video games anyway.

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:11:45 AM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois

Wow, how can you rip on Bioshock? I don't even need to give any reasons as to why this was on the list!! Not to take away the fact that Uncharted 2 was a good movie....I mean game, but that's what it was...a freaking movie! There was a cutscene every 2 minutes in that game. Visually stunning to look at but very annoying from a gameplay perspective.

Second, Guitar Hero.....a gimmick!? That's called inovation, not a gimmick! That game had me hooked for hours upon hours a day.  Why, because it was fun! 

Oblivion should definitley be higher up on that list though!!! 

Edited: 06/16/2010 at 03:13 AM by Darth Vader

Jun 16, 2010 at 3:55:20 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: nightstar6999

How the hell is GTA 3 better than San Andreas? And where were the Mario Advance games? And this past decade has had some terrific fighting games. (Arcana Heart, Tekken 5, Soul Calibur 2, Marvel Vs Capcom 2). Oh well. Most people don't use CNN as a source for video games anyway.

GTA3 was MORE INFLUENTIAL than San Andreas.  GTA3 defined a genre, San Andreas just expanded on it.  And frankly, San Andreas kinda sucked anyway.  The Mario Advance games were ports of earlier games, not new properties, so they can't be really considered influential titles.  As for fighting games, well, I for one am sick of the entire formula.  But I agree, who the hell goes to CNN for video game shit

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:02:58 AM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta

GTA3 was MORE INFLUENTIAL than San Andreas.  GTA3 defined a genre, San Andreas just expanded on it.  And frankly, San Andreas kinda sucked anyway.  The Mario Advance games were ports of earlier games, not new properties, so they can't be really considered influential titles.  As for fighting games, well, I for one am sick of the entire formula.  But I agree, who the hell goes to CNN for video game shit
agreed, its most influental not best or top selling.

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:12:52 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Darth Vader

Wow, how can you rip on Bioshock? I don't even need to give any reasons as to why this was on the list!! Not to take away the fact that Uncharted 2 was a good movie....I mean game, but that's what it was...a freaking movie! There was a cutscene every 2 minutes in that game. Visually stunning to look at but very annoying from a gameplay perspective.

Second, Guitar Hero.....a gimmick!? That's called inovation, not a gimmick! That game had me hooked for hours upon hours a day.  Why, because it was fun! 

Oblivion should definitley be higher up on that list though!!! 

But what did Bioshock influence?

I would say that Doom 3 was the more influential game of that genre in the last 10 years.

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:28:16 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I would say that Doom 3 was the more influential game of that genre in the last 10 years.

Apples to Oranges.  Doom is your classic FPS Horror shooter, a classic formula that has been proven for well over a decade.  Bioshock is a FPS / RPG hybrid, not necessarily the first of it's kind, but definitely the development of a new genre that we have not seen before.  Mass Effect is another game in this new genre.

I never played Bioshock or ME, but having spoke with friends who own them, they said the games are absolutely amazing.  Of course my backlog of games that I need to play is already several hundred long (at least), so who knows if I'll ever get around to them.

Also, GTAIV made GTAIII obsolete and improved on the game in every way possible, but I guess GTA is technically the "Pioneer".

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:22:24 AM
SasoriVader (58)
(Shatter Hand) < El Ripper >
Philippines
Originally posted by: alekx

agreed, its most influental not best or top selling.

Oh, ok. When I hear "Top 10" I usually assume it means best. Best whatev.

Jun 16, 2010 at 10:51:04 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: jonebone

Apples to Oranges.  Doom is your classic FPS Horror shooter, a classic formula that has been proven for well over a decade.  Bioshock is a FPS / RPG hybrid, not necessarily the first of it's kind, but definitely the development of a new genre that we have not seen before.  Mass Effect is another game in this new genre.

Have you played Doom 3?  It includes a lot of the elements your talking about and is story driven, unlike earlier entries in the series.

And if you want to go the FPS/RPG hybrid route...drop Bioshock completely since Oblivion is already on the list.

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:00:13 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

Originally posted by: jonebone

Have you played Doom 3?  It includes a lot of the elements your talking about and is story driven, unlike earlier entries in the series.

And if you want to go the FPS/RPG hybrid route...drop Bioshock completely since Oblivion is already on the list.

Oblivion is more of an RPG with shooter elements, same as Mass Effect.  Bioshock is a shooter with RPG elements.  However, I think Morrowind should be in before Oblivion (assuming a post-2000 release, too lazy to check).  Having never played Bioshock though, it's tough to say what should be on the list in it's place, if indeed anything SHOULD be on there in it's stead.  Really the only games that I feel should be contested though are Resident Evil 4, God of War and Shadow of the Colossus...what was groundbreaking about RE4?  And as for the other two, all they did was take platforming and puzzles and mesh them together, something which had been done a gazillion times before.