NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

1943 Strategies Conquring the NES Classic

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:03:45 PM
Blue Gollumer (89)
(Warren Lee) < Meka Chicken >
Wisconsin
All,

I've been working on 1943 recently and played it excessively as a kid.  I can get to level 9 without dying and have all the power up locations memorized, but can't beat the game.  The FAQ's on the net are not helpful.  So...

1: I can't get %100 destruction rate on the plane bosses, I usually win and then have %78 or somthing.  Why?

2: What's the best stats growth strategy?  I'm usually starting off by putting a point on the weapon upgrade, energy time, and special weapon time.  I've been playing around with different combinations.  It doesn't seem like offensive power does much, whats the deal?

3: I tend to rely on the second special weapon, the spread.  But once you reach board nine it starts to be less useful.  I also like the one after that, the machine gun, but its only good for some things.  What's the best weapon to rely on?

4: Any other strategies?

-Blue Gollumer, the

-------------------------

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:14:53 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Shoot everything. Don't get hit.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:52:38 PM
scaryice (115)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I just beat this tonight for the first time after playing it extensively the last few days.

1) You don't need to destroy everything to advance. It doesn't make a difference except for the points. Although if you destroy too little you'll have to replay the stage which happened to me once.

2) I upgraded the stats in this order - offense, special weapon time, defense, energy, and special weapon. Special weapon time is probably the single most important one. Order doesn't matter too much since by the end of the game you'll be maxed out.

3) I used the "Shot Gun" for the entire game except for the very end (the one that destroys bullets). If I played it again, I would probably use the 3 way shot more - that's what I used for the final stage. The double laser is amazingly powerful and is probably the best one for any stage other than the last, but it's hard to avoid getting hit with it.

4) Stage 24 is harder than the rest of the game combined. Took me a good 3-4 hours alone this week. Good luck defeating Totaku!

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (54 needed):

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 04/19/2013 at 11:52 PM by scaryice

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:58:58 PM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Blue Gollumer

1: I can't get %100 destruction rate on the plane bosses, I usually win and then have %78 or somthing.  Why?

2: What's the best stats growth strategy?  I'm usually starting off by putting a point on the weapon upgrade, energy time, and special weapon time.  I've been playing around with different combinations.  It doesn't seem like offensive power does much, whats the deal?

3: I tend to rely on the second special weapon, the spread.  But once you reach board nine it starts to be less useful.  I also like the one after that, the machine gun, but its only good for some things.  What's the best weapon to rely on?

4: Any other strategies?

JD has the record on this game and probably knows a lot that can help you.  I can throw in a few thoughts however:

1. Destruction rates on bomber bosses have to do with speed.  The faster you kill them, the higher the rate.

2. For stats, your main goal is to get the laser cannon, which is the final special weapon.  To get it, you need to put every stat up to at least level 3.  Otherwise, the game won't let you put the sixth point on the Special Weapon stat.  If you find all of the hidden items that let you increase stats, you should be able to get this weapon by the Mission 9 or 10.

3. Spread weapon works well early in the game, but the laser cannon is best.  Even if you don't have it, remember that you can always use a laser by holding down the shot button until you hear a sound.  These charged shots work great in combinaion with most special weapons because they fire while you're charging the laser.

4. Shoot all over the screen looking for powerups.  Every mission has at least one helpful item just waiting to be found.

That's all I have at the moment.  Good luck!

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:36:33 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Shoot everything. Don't get hit.

This. Also, I've only played this game once in my life, for about ten minutes, at FuncoLand BITD. I need to acquire this cart ASAP.

Apr 20, 2013 at 8:08:10 AM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Some tips in this thread:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

I haven't played the game since posting in that thread, but it's still on my shelf, waiting to be conquered.

Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:59:53 PM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, Tom covered the basics, but I'll give this a shot.

JD's 1943 tips, War & Peace edition:

As far as upgrading Stats
* I always start out with one in Energy one in Special Weapon, one in Special Weapon time.

* To me Special Weapon time is the most important stat.
because Without having an upgraded weapon, you will not last long in this game

* after that I personally focus on upgrade offensive power, while slowly upgrading the others.
This is because I'm playing for points. I don't think you should copy me.
When I first started out, defense and energy level were much more vital, and points were not important at all.
I suggest you focus on defense and energy until you can beat the game, then go back and start experimenting on how much offense you can add sooner and still survive.

Other tips:
* I would try to use the three-way shot as much as possible, (the spread gun),
don't worry about upgrading to the rest of the weapons last, until you are really good and comfortable.

* There are only two weapons I use in this game, I mentioned above the three-way shot spreadgun is my favorite,
It's like the spread gun in Contra, use it to Mow through a level till you get to the boss at least.
The double laser cannon is great for the levels with the big planes and the levels with endless large green bombers,
and this one definitely helps for boosting your scores.
You have access to it at any time, but you have to hold and release.
Get used to doing this hold and release, and the timing of it. Especially for the boss battleships.
Special NOTE: The shotgun sucks. Tempting to use, because it destroys enemy fire, but very very weak. Don't use it.

* I wouldn't worry about getting 100% on the big planes, that only boosts your points total.
Once you've beaten the game at least once, then worry about the points.
Just try to avoid the fireballs and stay alive and pump lead in them when they are not shooting at you.
As Tom said, this is all based off of time, and how quickly you can get through them.
See above tip about useful weapons (hint).

* When you are backed into a corner, have nowhere to go, and bullets or planes are sure to get you, use your lightning.
It will reduce your energy, but alot less than getting hit. It will also kill alot of the smaller enemies on the screen.
Try to only use it when you have to, because it drains energy.

* To me most of the strategy in the game, revolves around when to turn your POWs into energy tanks, and when to get additional Special Weapon time.
If there is a Yasachi coming up (the swirly-diamond thing, which gives you full energy) you should be grabbing special weapon.
If there is a Star comming up (which gives you full special weapon time) you should be grabbing energy tanks.

* Keep notes, of what power up items are on what levels, which ones have a stat upgrade station and where they are located.
Missing any of them is a disaster.

* Keep moving, the enemies have a tough time shooting you if you are in motion.
Also, there are specific movements I use to counter just about every type of enemy.
Sometimes it's as simple as a little jerk left or right, sometimes it's a tight circle, sometimes it a large movement clear across the screen.

* There are two versions of the large green bombers, and it's important to know the difference.
If there are large bombers comming top to bottom, those are them most dangerous, so shoot them down first. They shoot fireballs.
The same looking bomber flying bottom to top, is harmless, and it doesn't shoot fireballs, so focus on other enemies before those.

* My final tip, is to skip the tempation to enter the password and continue endlessly on whatever level you are stuck on.
This is probably why I could never beat this game growing up.
Start fresh every day.
Perhaps a differnt stat order will help, or you missed an upgrad along the way.
Also momentum helps you get through some of the nastier levels, because you will have energy and special weapon starting out.
Some levels are easy to continue on, but only if you haven't missed an upgrade station.
Once you get to the last level, and you are fully powered up, then continue all you want until you get through that beast.
(make sure you write your password for level 23 down though, because there is no password for level 24)

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

Edited: 04/25/2013 at 12:01 AM by Elijah

Apr 25, 2013 at 1:26:18 AM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
Lol, as soon as I read the Thread Title I knew JD would be in here