Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES game production numbers

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:40:23 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Is there anything online that shows concrete production numbers for games, to show how rare games actually are? The only thing I have ever seen for a game is the Tengen version of Tetris, and even then they only said there were fewer that 100,000 copies. Also, was Snow Brothers one of those Blockbuster only games, or were there other reaasons it is so hard to find?

Apr 6, 2007 at 9:05:57 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
I think Snow Bros is lumped in the same category as Contra Force and Bubble Bobble 2. They were fully released, but late in the system's life as SNES was really commanding dollars. They may not have been available in all areas NOT because they weren't marketed there, but because game stores were putting money into SNES stock and may have passed on the option to get these titles. That began the scarcity, but also because they're high-demand...BB2 and Contra obviously, and Snow Bros because it's Capcom and it wound up being a superb 2-player simul. game; got good press.

The perception you may have that they were rental only is largely because at that point NES players I think were saving their dollars for SNES and really only put money into the NES system for rentals. Most rental stores would buy at least one of each new game, meaning that many of the ones on the after-market for all of these titles were likely ex-rentals. Although personally all of the copies I've ever seen of these carts were clean, no stickers, meaning perhaps video stores mirrored chain dept. stores in their passing on these titles.

-------------------------

Apr 6, 2007 at 12:06:24 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Bubble Bobble 2 and Flintstones 2 were both rental only Dan. Blockbuster had exclusive rights to them from what I have seen. They is why they are so hard to find, and getting them CIB is retardedly hard. No clue on production #'s though, only Nintendo and the game manufacturers would know that info.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:55:49 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Originally posted by: NationalGameDepot

Bubble Bobble 2 and Flintstones 2 were both rental only Dan. Blockbuster had exclusive rights to them from what I have seen. They is why they are so hard to find, and getting them CIB is retardedly hard. No clue on production #'s though, only Nintendo and the game manufacturers would know that info.

~~NGD

And why myself and Dr. Morbis will never see copies in the wild. Didn't get any Blockbusters around here until late in the SNES' life

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Apr 7, 2007 at 6:32:42 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
^Yeah, but I've got them both CIB and mint already, so I don't really *need* to find them in the wild

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...