Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Guy gets caught dumpster diving on Gamestop

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:55:35 PM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida

Now this gives me a few questions in mind.

1) Is it really illegal to take stuff from store dumpsters? I mean houses I can understand.

2) Have you ever did dumpster diving on game stores and got warning of some kind not to do it again?

-------------------------
***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Edited: 10/27/2012 at 02:44 PM by Thunderblaze16

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:23:50 PM
TheGameBastard (25)
(Nick Kodada) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
No lol, in fact the manager at the Gamestop I normally visit said "Take what you want, just don't make a mess."

Help me complete my U.S. released COMPLETE IN BOX Virtual Boy game set!   
*Nester's Funky Bowling*
*Vertical Force*
*Galactic Pinball*
*Golf*
*Also after VB box with or with out system*
Check out my "Pick ups" thread! 

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:54:04 PM
uiengineer (220)
(jeff .) < King Solomon >
Illinois
i believe it is state specific. you'll have to look into your state/city ordinances.

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:54:26 PM
theguy1962 (193)
(Hernan Alonso or "Zo") < Kraid Killer >
California
I found over 350 PS2 discs a couple weeks ago. I let them go locally for like $30 plus a wireless 360 controller.

I like how this guy was super excited about the stuff he found.

Edited: 10/27/2012 at 01:55 PM by theguy1962

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:59:02 PM
uiengineer (220)
(jeff .) < King Solomon >
Illinois
i got some posters and display stuff a few weeks back. still looking for that wii kiosk or any games. no luck yet

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:50:06 PM
Generic (27)
(Eric ) < Kraid Killer >
New Mexico
Sounds interesting.....I will have to give it a try.

Originally posted by: alekx

your a nintendo collector, its not a lady killer hobby... Try selling drugs or settle for an ugly chick.

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:51:24 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Private residence depends on city. It is illegal to take anything out of a commercial dumpster because they sit on private property. You are then trespassing if you do so without permission.

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:54:22 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Dumpster diving is illegal depending either on county or if set state law. When it is a crime it can be considered as theft. If it is in the owners trash if they own the holder it is still theirs until collected, and if it is a company or city dumpster then the city considers it theft of city property. Depending what's in the books it can be a misdemeanor or a minor low class felony I imagine too.

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:56:02 PM
LucasWeatherby (42)
(Lucas Weatherby) < El Ripper >
Florida
"You fat fucking Rancor" best line ever

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:02:27 PM
bigdawg8412 (36)
(G P) < Meka Chicken >
United States
That video is hilarious.

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:06:01 PM
ulasamosa (280)
(James Ulizza) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: LucasWeatherby

"You fat fucking Rancor" best line ever

I lol'd and my wife was like "whats a rancor?" lol. That dude was WAYYYYYY too excited about some boxes and a manual tho.

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:39:44 PM
Busdriverj (102)
(Jason Faulkenberry) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
Not gonna lie, I was looking through my closest GameStops dumpster about 2 hours ago. All I got was a 360 Arcade Box but it did have 2 sets of ethernet cables in it, lol. Last week I got an empty black Wii Target bundle box. Free is free, IDGAF!

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:52:51 PM
TWarwick07 (85)
(Kung Fu Master) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
i think i lost a couple brain cells listening to that guy in the video

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:17:13 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: buyatari2

Private residence depends on city. It is illegal to take anything out of a commercial dumpster because they sit on private property. You are then trespassing if you do so without permission.
Exactly. Same reason why police won't do much if you get into a car accident with someone who doesn't have insurance in a mall/strip mall/store parking lot.

Just ask the owner/manager if you can check out their trash. The worst they're gonna say is no. Don't be a tard like the dude in the video.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:03:34 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
I seriously doubt most cases of dumpster diving leads to convictions unless it's repeat offense. However, a lot of con artists steal identities from confidential info sifted from garbage. They usually target places like office buildings that don't shred their papers. Free loot, or in the case of hobos, discarded food, is not malicious intent.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 10/28/2012 at 01:05 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:14:20 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Honestly not sure what the big appeal of dumpster diving is. Watching this guy's video, it seems like a lot of work for little gain, if any gain. I mean, his finds don't do anything for me, even at the level of free.

I can understand the reasoning behind why dumpster diving is a crime, but I never see anything wrong with giving someone something if they want it and it is just going to be trashed.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:04:30 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: tracker465

Honestly not sure what the big appeal of dumpster diving is. Watching this guy's video, it seems like a lot of work for little gain, if any gain. I mean, his finds don't do anything for me, even at the level of free.

I can understand the reasoning behind why dumpster diving is a crime, but I never see anything wrong with giving someone something if they want it and it is just going to be trashed.

There's nothing wrong with it, unless you don't get permission before hand. Every time I walk into gamestop (which isn't very often), I ask whoever the manager is if they have anything they're throwing out from old stock and if so, can I have it, and also if I could check their dumpster. 9 out of 10 times, they say yes. Other times, if/when they say no, I don't. No need to cause trouble for $5 worth of crap.

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:07:22 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: dra600n

There's nothing wrong with it, unless you don't get permission before hand. Every time I walk into gamestop (which isn't very often), I ask whoever the manager is if they have anything they're throwing out from old stock and if so, can I have it, and also if I could check their dumpster. 9 out of 10 times, they say yes. Other times, if/when they say no, I don't. No need to cause trouble for $5 worth of crap.

Oh I totally agree that it is appropriate to ask permission beforehand, and was not trying to imply with my words otherwise.    Hence the words "giving someone".  I don't think that dumpsters can "give" someone something, atleast not in the traditional sense of the word.  Either way, I still stand behind my original post.  If someone wants something and it is just going to be trashed, why not let them have it and enjoy it?  At the end of the day, more factors come into play such as policy rules, getting permission from this guy and that, etc, but I stand behind the basic principle that if I am gonna trash it and someone else wants it and can enjoy it, then why not?

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:13:41 AM
DreamMary (18)
(J K) < Meka Chicken >
Guam
In my town, all the GameStops have trash compactors; so everything gets destroyed. Well, everything that can fit, all the big stuff like my Wii Display Kiosk get left in the back next to the compactor.

By a simple switching of mirror Super Mario Bros. will become Dream Mary!

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:40:38 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Originally posted by: dra600n

Oh I totally agree that it is appropriate to ask permission beforehand, and was not trying to imply with my words otherwise.    Hence the words "giving someone".  I don't think that dumpsters can "give" someone something, atleast not in the traditional sense of the word.  Either way, I still stand behind my original post.  If someone wants something and it is just going to be trashed, why not let them have it and enjoy it?  At the end of the day, more factors come into play such as policy rules, getting permission from this guy and that, etc, but I stand behind the basic principle that if I am gonna trash it and someone else wants it and can enjoy it, then why not?

I agree, unfortunately, a lot of people don't.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:01:43 AM
USFLegend (63)
(Adam ) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
There are several gamestops near me and all of them but 1 had gotten rid of their wii kiosk. I talked them them about it and they gave me the speech about nintendo taking it back. Anyways when I went to check the other night they had a bar and lock on their dumpster now. There is no way to open or look inside the dumpster without breaking the lock and since there is a camera there, I am sure it is not worth it lol. I have never dumpster dived and never planned on it until I read about the kiosk finds.

Does anyone else have a gamestop near by that locks there garbage?

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:35:30 PM
smokinjoe24 (147)
(P Fen) < Bowser >
United States
I went last week but only found wingstop grease. I do love me some wingstop though

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:14:32 PM
Tyme (15)
(Andrew NES) < Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
Illegal. The kiosks are probably a gray area. Things like games, controllers, strategy guides, etc.. are supposed to be destroyed before thrown out. So even though it is theft, they are kind of asking for it when they dont field destroy items.

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:38:53 PM
DreamMary (18)
(J K) < Meka Chicken >
Guam
I agree, taking these Kiosk's is a gray area. I couldn't resist temptation though, it was staring at me and saying take me.

By a simple switching of mirror Super Mario Bros. will become Dream Mary!

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:17:50 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: smokinjoe24

I went last week but only found wingstop grease. I do love me some wingstop though
LOL, there's a Wingstop right next to my Gamestop in Shreveport (off of Pines road)

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...