Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

e-Zine: Stan's latest Faegly the Skeleton Bring your 10-foot-pole, but step lightly.

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:46:48 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Nick knew the comic would be running before I did, and asked me if I would see to it that his last name was not published. I asked Stan to oblige, and he did. So we published the comic, as all parties involved were aware of it, good or bad. I'm assuming Nick knew it wouldn't be the most flattering of comics coming from Stan, but never did he ask me to not publish it. Had Nick asked me to not publish it, I would've obliged.

For the record, I'm neither condoning nor condemning this comic. Also for the record, I have nothing against Nick, and he knows that. Guys, this comic is *always* controversial. Most of his comics bash NA in an underlying manner, and I still publish them.

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:59:11 AM
langenfeld (279)
(Michael Langenfeld) < El Ripper >
Alabama
I have started this post 15 times, approaching it differently every time. Nothing I write seems like it will benefit myself or Nick in any way. Lets just say this then. If it is decided that the Ezine is a marketplace for slander or "satire" then I will no longer read it. If NintendoAge is becoming a place where I am in the minority for believing that this was an absolute mockery of what I believed this community was, then I will no longer visit.

Sep 1, 2008 at 11:15:04 AM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
(Gimmick, Mr.) < King Solomon >
Connecticut

Stan's comic is a satire, much like political cartoons and such which target a specific individual in order to communicae a message about that person or an issue they represent. In the nintendoage community, many of us reconize each others names and in a way we are public figures much like political canidates, movie stars etc. I believe that free speech is important and should be heard, and since this comic brings about an issue that is widely known in the community anyway there is little harm done. Now if this were a comic targeting Nick's personal life or anything other than a very relevant issue to the NA Community, then that would be a different story. Both art and writing are tools to communicate a message, reguardless of media or subject mater; as long as it is a public issue, there is little harm done.

Edited: 09/01/2008 at 11:15 AM by Mr. Gimmick

Sep 1, 2008 at 11:15:13 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Stans loves this type of thing, we all know that. That is why he does a controversial comic that is always right on the edge of pissing people off. Nick has made some pretty bad decisions over the years on stuff, and that is something that will never totally go away.

As for the comic, I am pretty indifferent either way to be honest. I can take it or leave it. I have never been a big comic guy anyways cause I rarely find them all that entertaining. I do think Stan's is more of crapping on the NES Scene which he loathes more so than he is Nick, and Nick was just the outlet to express it. Could have been more tasteful for sure though.
~~NGD

-------------------------
Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Sep 1, 2008 at 11:32:45 AM
justabum (142)
(Bryan Digilio) < El Ripper >
Nebraska
I disagree completely Mr. Gimmick. The e-zine isn't some stage to argue free speech rights and launch personal attacks. This is not a political or controversial publication in any way. It is an informative publication about our hobby and our community and it directly represents the site, the editors, and the community for that matter. How is blatantly attacking a member of our community good for anyone. If I started a topic openly bashing you it would be locked down and I would be asked to pursue it via PM, yet it is somehow ok to openly bash someone as long as its considered "satire" by some?

Also, before you think there is little harm done....you should ask Nick how he feels about it. Just because there is little harm done to you, doesn't = little harm done to everyone. And ANY harm done is bad for the community here. Like I said in an earlier post, if this was posted in a thread by Stan, it would just represent Stan's opinion. But by printing it in the e-zine you engulf the whole community.

If consequenses dictate your course of action, then it doesn't matter what is right, it's only wrong if you get caught. -maynard james keenan

Sep 1, 2008 at 11:40:56 AM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Dain

Nick knew the comic would be running before I did, and asked me if I would see to it that his last name was not published. I asked Stan to oblige, and he did. So we published the comic, as all parties involved were aware of it, good or bad. I'm assuming Nick knew it wouldn't be the most flattering of comics coming from Stan, but never did he ask me to not publish it. Had Nick asked me to not publish it, I would've obliged.

For the record, I'm neither condoning nor condemning this comic. Also for the record, I have nothing against Nick, and he knows that. Guys, this comic is *always* controversial. Most of his comics bash NA in an underlying manner, and I still publish them.

^^^^^ My point is, Nick knew about it already and I'm sure he knew what he was in for with Stan's comic. I say that if it was an issue to him he would have told Dain or Stan "I do not want to be featured in your comic, etc." I'm sure this wouldn't have been published without Nick having knowlege of it. I can see how this might be distasteful, but alot of distasteful things are out there, TV, movies, etc. I say everyone can have their own opinions of it but its still has the right to be published under Dain, and Dangevin's consent.

Edited: 09/01/2008 at 11:41 AM by Mr. Gimmick

Sep 1, 2008 at 11:58:12 AM
justabum (142)
Nebraska
Originally posted by: Mr. Gimmick

^^^^^ My point is, Nick knew about it already and I'm sure he knew what he was in for with Stan's comic. I say that if it was an issue to him he would have told Dain or Stan "I do not want to be featured in your comic, etc." I'm sure this wouldn't have been published without Nick having knowlege of it. I can see how this might be distasteful, but alot of distasteful things are out there, TV, movies, etc. I say everyone can have their own opinions of it but its still has the right to be published under Dain, and Dangevin's consent.

I see your point but you are missing mine. This actually isn't about Nick. This is about a publication put out by a community that I'm part of, bashing one of its own members. Bringing other forms of media into the debate isn't relavent. I cannot control those and they do not represent me or my integrity in any way. Although I don't actively write for the e-zine, I still feel like it represents a website and a community that I'm very very active in. If we as a community are "ok" with one of our own publications bashing one of our own members then ultimately that is not a community I want to be assossiated with.

And yes, they have every right to print it. Just as I have every right to voice my disdain against it.

If consequenses dictate your course of action, then it doesn't matter what is right, it's only wrong if you get caught. -maynard james keenan

Edited: 09/01/2008 at 12:01 PM by justabum

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:05:34 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: justabum

well, I'm not trying to argue definitions. My understanding of vocabulary and language has never been my strong suit. However you want to define it, belittling one of our own members by using their screen name and their real name in a NA publication just doesn't sit well with me. Maybe if you got his permission first or knew that he was ok with it (which is doubtful) I could see printing this. Speaking for myself, if you or anyone else would want to discuss MY faults or MY mistakes I've made in my past then lets discuss. But I wouldn't want you to broadcast them via e-mail to 1300 members years afterwards. Even in the name of art and satire.

And how is this not an open attack when its titled "This is about Nick"

Bryan, there's a big difference between talking about YOUR faults or YOUR mistakes you've made in the past, as they never affected the collecting community.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:08:14 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
Connecticut

I see your point but you are missing mine. This actually isn't about Nick. This is about a publication put out by a community that I'm part of, bashing one of its own members. Bringing other forms of media into the debate isn't relavent. I cannot control those and they do not represent me or my integrity in any way. Although I don't actively write for the e-zine, I still feel like it represents a website and a community that I'm very very active in. If we as a community are "ok" with one of our own publications bashing one of our own members then ultimately that is not a community I want to be assossiated with.

And yes, they have every right to print it. Just as I have every right to voice my disdain against it.
I see your point as well, I cannot argue that it is right to bash other members, all i can say is its likely to happen wether, you or I  like it or not. Like anything of satirical nature theres bound to be some disagreements on it. I totally respect your opinion on the issue tho.

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:09:26 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee

Nick knew the comic would be running before I did....

Had Nick asked me to not publish it, I would've obliged.

That pretty much covers it right there, doesn't it?

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:17:21 PM
Jumpman Jr. (47)
(Will Bowins) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Originally posted by: the tall guy

Thats what I was going to say, too.
When I read the comic, I was like "holy shit, this is kind of messed up.... I wonder what Nick thinks about this."
Essentially, I'd think you can write (in the e-zine) anything you want about somebody, as long as that somebody is aware of it.
Anybody can make fun of me if they want to... just let me know up front.

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:17:35 PM
langenfeld (279)
Alabama
Originally posted by: the tall guy

Should I really have to ask "please don't crap on me to the whole community"?? I think somethings should be taken for granted.

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:33:46 PM
langenfeld (279)
Alabama
Please don't lock this thread, this needs to be discussed fully.

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:41:05 PM
VileRedFalcon (21)
(Chris Hughes) < Meka Chicken >
United States
An otherwise great issue of the ezine is overshadowed by a comic that was done in poor taste and judgment.
It is my opinion that this "comic" should have never been published.

*** WANTED ***
- 5 Screw Zelda Test Cart
- Rygar Poster
- Castlevania Box w/ hangtab

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:49:54 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
I invite you to walk a day in my shoes.

Stan is notorious for raising a ruckus, and by now most of us realize that nothing is off limits to him (including me, NA, etc). That's his style, love it or hate it, accept it or not. By saying that this comic represents the views of NA is simply absurd and narrow-minded. Do all of the controversial views from commentators represent the views of major networks on TV? Hardly. Grow thicker skin, guys.

Considering I didn't even read the comic until after the e-zine was released, and also considering our typical schedule involves me getting the e-zine at 11 pm the night of release, I wasn't even aware of the exact content of the comic. It's not an excuse, just a fact, and I really don't feel I should have to defend freedom of speech.

If you're that bent out of shape over a comic that came from none other than "controversial" Stan to leave NA, then I'd say leave. I'm not going to kiss your ass and tell you that NA is some fairy tale place that won't at time have some controversy.

Edited: 09/01/2008 at 12:50 PM by Dain

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:50:18 PM
nesdude (122)
(Matt Yanders) < Ridley Wrangler >
Iowa
The comic blows any way you look at it.

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:52:09 PM
wolfsaq (146)
(The Big Bad Wolf) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania

Hello NintendoAGERS,

I am sure people do not know who I am, except for peole I have dealt with on the site. I am six days from being a one year member on the site, so I feel like I can share my opinion. I can tell you a few things. I met Nick in person, and have made several deals with him on this site. I think he is a GREAT person, and he helped me to bolster my NES collection, while giving me an added push to collect NES games. I only know what Nick did in the past by reading it on the forums here. What he did in the past, is in the "past". I only know Nick as a cool guy who has helped me. I have also dealt with Bryan and respect him and his opinions too!  I am a public school teacher, and I used to run the school newspaper. It was a difficult job because we would run some articles that would upset some faculty members or administrators. We ALWAYS asked the person permission if we could run an article about them or use their words in an article. If they said yes, and the principal said yes...then it was a go. Nick was asked up front about an article/comic and he said yes, but he said don't publish his last name---and that was honored. The editors decided to run the comic...that should be it right there. I am not saying that the comic was not hurtful or in bad taste, but it does fall under the category of "satire"...Political cartoons are also under the catregory of "satire"...therefore, it can push the limits more so then a news article---unless it is an editorial piece of course. I ened up quitting as advisor of the school paper because I was tired of all the nasty e-mails and comments about the newspaper that took me and my students so long to produce. I even got a death threat once, no joke! And we took all necessary precautions before each paper was produced. The bottom line is that you can never please everyone. My opinion is that the editors as long as they ask someone permission , have the creative right to publish an article. People who do not like it, do not have to read it. It is when satire crosses the line and becomes slanderous that I do not agree with. It is a funny and thin line---but, I commend the editors and administrative staff for their efforts and allowing an e-zine to be published!

Dan (wolfsaq)

Nintendo= 99% complete; missing STADIUM EVENTS to complete loose NTSC set
Unlicensed Nintendo= 57.7%
Virtual Boy= 100% complete
Turbo Grafx= 99% complete; missing MAGICAL CHASE to complete CIC NTSC set

"Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter"
(An African proverb)

Edited: 09/01/2008 at 12:52 PM by wolfsaq

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:57:00 PM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
My main problem is that moderators here are so quick to be immediately lock a thread if there is any form of name calling or personal attacks whatsoever, stating "deal with it via PMs", then the eZine editors publish an obvious personal attack and have it mass emailed to the 1300+ members of the site. I could go on and on about all the good that I've done for the NintendoAGE community, but it isn't about defending myself at this point. This is about Dain and the moderators of NA allowing such attacks to continue. I would be making the same exact post right now if this was happening to any member whatsoever, no matter what their past, even if I didn't like the member.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:59:22 PM
burnambill333 (0)
New Jersey

I emailed you a month ago and asked that you make sure that my REAL NAME or SCREEN NAME not be mentioned in the next comic and you said ok. It wasn't just my last name. So why is my name in it?

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:02:02 PM
langenfeld (279)
Alabama

I invite you to walk a day in my shoes.

Stan is notorious for raising a ruckus, and by now most of us realize that nothing is off limits to him (including me, NA, etc). That's his style, love it or hate it, accept it or not. By saying that this comic represents the views of NA is simply absurd and narrow-minded. Do all of the controversial views from commentators represent the views of major networks on TV? Hardly. Grow thicker skin, guys.

Considering I didn't even read the comic until after the e-zine was released, and also considering our typical schedule involves me getting the e-zine at 11 pm the night of release, I wasn't even aware of the exact content of the comic. It's not an excuse, just a fact, and I really don't feel I should have to defend freedom of speech.

If you're that bent out of shape over a comic that came from none other than "controversial" Stan to leave NA, then I'd say leave. I'm not going to kiss your ass and tell you that NA is some fairy tale place that won't at time have some controversy.

Very dissapointing Dain. So I should leave NA? I think enough solid members have already left and been replaced by board spammers, but that is another story.

I for one am not dumb enough to blame you for what Stan wrote, however, given the occasional censorship of peoples thoughts around here you would think that same haste would have been used in the instance of this comic. 

NGD and I were just discussing locking this thread to avoid anymore "damage". I am totally against that.  It seems to be the position of NA to pick and choose when it is acceptable to say something unacceptable. What gives?

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:05:23 PM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
I think it's hilarious that Stan hasn't said anything yet. He's usually the first one to post when a new issue is released.

I imagine him up in his studio apartment laughing his ass off.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:17:50 PM
justabum (142)
Nebraska
Originally posted by: mewithoutYou52

well, I'm not trying to argue definitions. My understanding of vocabulary and language has never been my strong suit. However you want to define it, belittling one of our own members by using their screen name and their real name in a NA publication just doesn't sit well with me. Maybe if you got his permission first or knew that he was ok with it (which is doubtful) I could see printing this. Speaking for myself, if you or anyone else would want to discuss MY faults or MY mistakes I've made in my past then lets discuss. But I wouldn't want you to broadcast them via e-mail to 1300 members years afterwards. Even in the name of art and satire.

Bryan, there's a big difference between talking about YOUR faults or YOUR mistakes you've made in the past, as they never affected the collecting community.

Again, thats not the point.  What he did, or who he is, is irrelevant here.  If he is part of this community he shouldn't be subject to public bashing in the community's newsletter/paper nor should anyone else. 

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:21:40 PM
burnambill333 (0)
New Jersey
Original PM by: Burnambill333

Would it be possible for you to restrict my real name or username from being mentioned in the next NintendoAGE Faegly comic?

Original PM by: Dain

Yeah, I'll talk to Stan. Sorry man, I don't really keep close enough tabs on the ezine apparently.

So basically Dain you agreed that you would ensure that my REAL NAME and SCREEN NAME not be published. This was not just my last name. I knew I couldn't stop the comic because Stan will do what he wants but you agreed to make sure that my name not be mentioned in any way.

NintendoAGE was 10 times stronger than it is now when it had 1/10 the members. It has lost a lot of valuable members since NintendoAGE started due to the "politics" that go on behind the scenes and I think it is about to lose a few more valuable members.

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:30:42 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
I think I'm done with this thread -- mods, please do not lock it. Any more out of my mouth and it's bound to get nasty.

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:45:30 PM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida

Originally posted by: mewithoutYou52

Again, thats not the point.  What he did, or who he is, is irrelevant here.  If he is part of this community he shouldn't be subject to public bashing in the community's newsletter/paper nor should anyone else. 

I think this thing has spiraled so far out of control that you are forgetting what the original comic was.  Nick wasn't bashed.  The community was bashed.  Nick was just used to illustrate this point.