Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

(Potentially Fake) Mike Tyson Punchout event signed gloves

Jul 27, 2018 at 6:55:30 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
I've seen a seller put these on eBay quite a few times, he clearly states they are not authenticated... I contacted him and asked him about the gloves, he told me he owned the majority of them and bought them from the person who promoted them at the event Mike Tyson was at and had approximately 40. They are usually priced around 5000$+ with several watchers (I think 25). Let's compare signatures:

His "signed" glove:

A real signed promotional poster:

A classic Mike Tyson signature that is pretty fresh:

Older:

-------------------------
sega-saturn.org - coming soon
a repository for retrospective articles and reviews on the Saturn.

Edited: 07/28/2018 at 02:56 AM by Muta

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:53:52 PM
NintenDarr (11)
(Ryan ) < El Ripper >
Connecticut
When are the other sigs from? Maybe he changed it over time? If I ever become famous, people would pull their hair out trying to authenticate my signature. I change it all the time without realizing.

Got hangtab black boxes in nice condition? PM me!

https://www.twitch.tv/grind_y0ur_...
Come watch and follow the channel! Much appreciated!

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:42:07 PM
icarwngs55 (67)
(Michael D) < El Ripper >
United States
Oh man oh man!!!

Who could that scumbag seller be?!?

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:53:35 PM
ADD EM (1)
< Little Mac >
Pretty sure that piece on eBay is real. Just my opinion. That seller doesn't mess with fake stuff.

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:04:02 PM
spman (0)

< Little Mac >
I have a copy of Mike Tyson's Punch Out that Mike signed for me matted inside a shadowbox along with a photo of us, if my house were burning down it'd be the second person item I save after my bin of SNES CIB's

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:45:43 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
If you look at his signature... it hasn't changed significantly. He rolls that hard "t" off. The seller also won't authenticate with an autograph expert in sports memorabilia. We are in a forum that grades video games based on scuffs on cardboard cases. If you spend over 5 grand on something, I'd want some type of expertise. I'm not saying this person is a liar.

Punch out Signature:

The glove (not authenticated):

Edited: 07/27/2018 at 11:55 PM by Muta

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:58:22 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: ADD EM

Pretty sure that piece on eBay is real. Just my opinion. That seller doesn't mess with fake stuff.

I didn't say the seller messes with fake stuff. He said he bought the majority of them from a promoter, and could not authenticate them. We worry about people swapping out boards or using repro labels... I don't see how it is different, except for it costs a lot more. It also says "this is not authenticated", so being "pretty sure" isn't even on the radar.

Edited: 07/28/2018 at 12:02 AM by Muta

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:07:16 AM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: spman

I have a copy of Mike Tyson's Punch Out that Mike signed for me matted inside a shadowbox along with a photo of us, if my house were burning down it'd be the second person item I save after my bin of SNES CIB's

Could you a snap a photo? I'd love to see it, for real. I would love to meet Mike before I die.

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:09:58 AM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: NintenDarr

When are the other sigs from? Maybe he changed it over time? If I ever become famous, people would pull their hair out trying to authenticate my signature. I change it all the time without realizing.
Have you literally sat and signed thousands of 8x10"s? His signature is pretty consistent.

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:11:13 AM
icarwngs55 (67)
United States
Your signatures aren't old. They're new. His signature has changed drastically over the past 35 years.

Especially considering if he was signing for a special purpose/event. And considering a SLIGHT variation based on the medium he was signing on. Key elements remain consistent over the years.

All of this on top of the fact the event is real/authenticated.

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:12:40 AM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Why does the auction say "these aren't authenticated" - I'm not talking about the event itself?

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:14:48 AM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
I hope they are real... seriously. I would just wonder if there wasn't some sports memorabilia autograph expert you couldn't take them to.

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:21:54 AM
spman (0)

< Little Mac >
Here it is, got it at a signing in New York maybe a year ago?

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:26:30 AM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: spman

Here it is, got it at a signing in New York maybe a year ago?

Classic signature... I'm jealous dude. That is pretty freaking awesome and invaluable.

Edited: 07/28/2018 at 12:27 AM by Muta

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:28:16 AM
icarwngs55 (67)
United States
Because there is no need. There were multiple gloves, acquired from multiple owners. One of which was a Nintendo rep who helped run the event. Which at the same time I acquired the mini Mike Tyson promo dolls - some of which I sold here.

I also LATER acquired the poster that hung outside the event. This acquired From someone who had nothing to do with the event. Rather they just stole the poster.

This wouldn't be the last time Nintendo had a boxer sign a glove with a plaque either. Not Mike Tyson btw.

Listed as "not authenticated" to be transparent this is a piece of Nintendo history. It was not bought at a signing event where Tyson's signature is essentially worthless. The value here is the history and the age and how it was obtained. There is no certificate of authenticity and I have lost that Nintendo rep contact long ago. But it is assuredly real.

Of note, I have never sold or listed any glove but this one

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:33:15 AM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: icarwngs55

Because there is no need. There were multiple gloves, acquired from multiple owners. One of which was a Nintendo rep who helped run the event. Which at the same time I acquired the mini Mike Tyson promo dolls - some of which I sold here.

I also LATER acquired the poster that hung outside the event. This acquired From someone who had nothing to do with the event. Rather they just stole the poster.

This wouldn't be the last time Nintendo had a boxer sign a glove with a plaque either. Not Mike Tyson btw.

Listed as "not authenticated" to be transparent this is a piece of Nintendo history. It was not bought at a signing event where Tyson's signature is essentially worthless. The value here is the history and the age and how it was obtained. There is no certificate of authenticity and I have lost that Nintendo rep contact long ago. But it is assuredly real.

Fair enough, I asked a couple months about the glove and you told me you owned most from the event (around 40 I think). I guess it is the same glove that was listed previously. I don't think it is out of the realm of questioning a 5 thousand dollar item, when people are questioning upside-down cartridge variants and various NES shelving units. I don't know you, and I can't gauge your trustworthiness (I'm sure you are a respected seller), how you acquired the item... and if I offended you, my apologies. I'm learning it's a "small small world afterall".

Edited: 07/28/2018 at 12:37 AM by Muta

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:38:22 AM
icarwngs55 (67)
United States
Originally posted by: mutaxlock66

Originally posted by: icarwngs55

Fair enough, I asked a couple months about the glove and you told me you owned most from the event (around 40 I think). I guess it is the same glove that was listed previously. I don't know you, but I don't think it is out of the realm of questioning a 5 thousand dollar item, when people are questioning upside-down cartridge variants and various NES shelving units. I don't know you, and I can't gauge your trustworthiness, how you acquired the item... and if I offended you, my apologies.

Not Offended. But I got my first glove many years ago.. In fact it's my first Post on my Collectors page here. 

You seem to have misunderstood or misremembered. I do not own 40 gloves. You asked how many were out there I said I was told there were ~40 gloves as that is what the rep told me as it was her job to get them from Tyson's people to the event. They were pre signed. 

I own more than 1 hence why I'm selling my double. 

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:40:59 AM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Sorry, you told me "There are several on the market. All of which (as far as I know) I own.". I misunderstood.

Edited: 07/28/2018 at 12:42 AM by Muta

Jul 28, 2018 at 6:31:18 AM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire

His "signed" glove:

http://www.fighttoys.com/Tyson-Ki...

Former two-time heavyweight champ Mike Tyson has boldly signed this sheet of paper in black ballpoint ink... Tyson has dated his autograph April 9, 1988 just a few months before his mega-bout with Michael Spinks... Also signed by promoter Don King on the opposite page

Edited: 07/28/2018 at 06:32 AM by Trj22487

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:44:31 PM
ADD EM (1)
< Little Mac >
I think we need to call pawn stars.....

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:32:14 PM
icarwngs55 (67)
United States
Originally posted by: Trj22487

His "signed" glove:

http://www.fighttoys.com/Tyson-King%201988-4-9a%20SR.JPG

Former two-time heavyweight champ Mike Tyson has boldly signed this sheet of paper in black ballpoint ink... Tyson has dated his autograph April 9, 1988 just a few months before his mega-bout with Michael Spinks... Also signed by promoter Don King on the opposite page

Looks comparable to me

Jul 28, 2018 at 1:47:28 PM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: NintenDarr

This. I can't even say I have a proper signature. I think it caused a problem once, long ago. Probably when I was getting an educational loan.

Wasn't Mike Tyson basically illiterate back then? I'm surprised he would have anything resembling a signature.

Edited: 07/28/2018 at 01:49 PM by Ichinisan

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:43:53 PM
VGS_captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
It also doesn't surprise me that somebody that got his brain beaten in for a living has a different signature 30 years later.

Also, look at how much Muhammad Ali's autograph changed over the years.

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:50:46 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

It also doesn't surprise me that somebody that got his brain beaten in for a living has a different signature 30 years later.

Also, look at how much Muhammad Ali's autograph changed over the years.
It's here nor there, but Tyson started very early, retired pretty early... and never really took a lot of abuse in comparison to an Ali... he still has his wits about him and is doing feature action films in China.
If you hear Evander Holyfield talk now, it's in slow motion.

Jul 28, 2018 at 2:54:40 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
What I mean is... he was 50-6 when he retired, and a large portion of those wins are first round knockouts where he wasn't even touched. By the time PunchOut was released he had 15 knockouts inside of the first round... the others mostly made it into round 2 or 3. Over his career he was knocked out I think 3 or 4 times, mostly towards the end.
Not that it matters, but he wasn't some Journeyman boxer is a guy that was 10-17 that all went to decision. That is when you are taking heavy abuse - going through 10 or 12 rounds. He is kind of an anomoly.

Edited: 07/28/2018 at 03:02 PM by Muta