Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2017 Weekly Contests Presents: Defender 2 Contest ends Sunday, 6/18/17 at 11 PM NA time

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:36:04 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: mbd39

Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Too bad it ain't happening.
I have this feeling we will be playing Ninja Gaiden 3 as the final game of the tournament this year, and with that Michael will get his first win, where it matters the most and will be the 2017 champion!
It will be epic and everyone will be cheerful and stuff!  

Thanks, but I plan on getting my first win with the next beat em up.

Besides, the final game of the tournament will be Ikari Warriors and you'll easily win it.
Well you can plan in one hand and shit in the other....  

I "plan" on winning Defender II this week.  Not sure how, but I figure things will fall into place with a positive mental attitude

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 06/12/2017 at 02:39 PM by Brock Landers

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:40:46 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Originally posted by: Gloves

So, are you guys all jockeying for a hall of fame spot?  I bet every win counts... Bea would just need the 2017 championship
6 13 782 1 (2014) arnpoly
  13 225 1 (2015) Red
7 12 264   Bea_Iank

Is that all?  
She would of had the championship last year if she had bothered to play more than 1/3 of the season

What a slacker!

But playing video games is hard when you are as terrible at them as I am, so I had to miss only 2/3rds of the last season.  
And it is not always that you get fun stuff like Lunar Pool to break!

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:57:55 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

Besides, the final game of the tournament will be Ikari Warriors and you'll easily win it.

Defender II
Brock - 1:4
Red - 18:1
Gloves - 20:1
Bea - 30:1
table - 35:1
The pack - 100:1

StarTropics
Not skinny or Richard - 1:500

Bad Street Brawler Target Renegade
arnpoly - 2:1
table - 5:2
skinny - 6:2
guts - 15:1
Bea - 25:1
Michael - 40:1

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Edited: 06/12/2017 at 03:08 PM by Brock Landers

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:02:58 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Bad Street Brawler

I guess I will be putting some money on me that week, since I have already almost matched the Twin Galaxies record for Bad Street Brawler.  

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:04:23 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Oh snap. Michael and Bea already confidently claiming the win. This could be an epic showdown

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:07:38 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Oh snap. Michael and Bea already confidently claiming the win. This could be an epic showdown

He is claming the win on Target Renegade, not Bad Street Brawler!  

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:08:30 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

He is claming the win on Target Renegade, not Bad Street Brawler!  

Well then I stand by my prediction

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:25:04 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Defender II
Brock - 1:4
Red - 18:1
Gloves - 20:1
Bea - 30:1
table - 35:1
The pack - 100:1

StarTropics
Not skinny or Richard - 1:500

Bad Street Brawler Target Renegade

Wait..... are you giving Skinny and myself a decent shot at Star Tropics?

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:32:55 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
JimTendo graciously let me borrow his Switch so I could play Zelda. Gotta say, I love that fucking game and haven't been playing much NES. Well..... I've cracked out enough on Zelda for one day and am gonna take a crack at a decent score for this weeks game. I really do like it and should be able to post up something better than last week !😜

Also, I got up early as fuck to go take this picture!

Edited: 06/12/2017 at 04:35 PM by Richardhead

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:34:36 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
I dunno, it's supposed to read 1 to 500

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:37:31 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

It also said "not Rich or Skinny" 😝
Also, I'm really good at Star Tropics! Probably not good enough for a first place finish though is my guess.

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:42:31 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: Richardhead

It also said "not Rich or Skinny" 😝
Also, I'm really good at Star Tropics! Probably not good enough for a first place finish though is my guess.

Fine

The odds against not skinny and not richard almost certainly not winning are 500 to 1

Edited: 06/12/2017 at 04:50 PM by Brock Landers

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:45:00 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Dammit!

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:47:04 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
All my predictions are "odds against"

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:48:39 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

All my predictions are "odds against"
Never trust the odds!

Jun 12, 2017 at 6:13:05 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
You can just make my odds infinity:1 for every game. I think I'm just going for participation at best from here on out.

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:57:29 PM
Murray (34)
(Count of Tuscany ) < El Ripper >
Colorado

JimTendo graciously let me borrow his Switch so I could play Zelda. Gotta say, I love that fucking game and haven't been playing much NES. Well..... I've cracked out enough on Zelda for one day and am gonna take a crack at a decent score for this weeks game. I really do like it and should be able to post up something better than last week !😜

Precisely why I haven't snagged one yet.   Cool photo, where was it taken?

"Why's that guy wearing a suit to a garage sale?"

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:33:23 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Score update, page 1.
Please, by Odin's beard, reinstate the no point racking rule and make me roll back to my previous score.
I point racked for over an hour and could keep on going if I didn't get bored of it. I don't want to have to spend 8 hours point racking this game.  
I like this game. I don't want to stop liking it because of this.

Edited: 06/12/2017 at 08:43 PM by Bea_Iank

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:37:26 PM
tablew/chairs (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Michigan

is there anything enjoyable about this game?

Edited: 06/13/2017 at 06:06 PM by tablew/chairs

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:42:24 PM
Yoshi (34)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:09:54 PM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: tablew/chairs

is there anything enjoyable about this game?

It's fairly short?

Haves     |     Wants

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:23:55 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Murray

Precisely why I haven't snagged one yet.   Cool photo, where was it taken?

Mt. Evans

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:30:58 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

Score update, page 1.
Please, by Odin's beard, reinstate the no point racking rule and make me roll back to my previous score.
I point racked for over an hour and could keep on going if I didn't get bored of it. I don't want to have to spend 8 hours point racking this game.  

The problem with the 'no point racking rule' is that it was too general considering the scoring system of the game. If there's a problem with hanging around a stage forever (in the sense that there's really no difficulty in doing it), then we need to address this specifically. Is it really easy to do or are you just too good at it?

My concern is, if you can't point press by hanging in a stage, then what will determine the best run among those that can reach wave Z? Is it the player that is advancing the slowest in each wave cause he's less good at cruising through waves? If it is so, then the rule can ironically give an edge to the one bending it the most (out of his will maybe). At the least, with a stupid point pressing marathon, you know the one that got the highest score is the one sacrificing the most if his time.

So, we can either permit the point pressing marathon (for the few that will make it to wave Z), or make a rule based on the honor system : Don't hang in a wave to specifically point press casual enemies.

Thoughts?

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:45:28 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Score update, page 1.

The problem with the 'no point racking rule' is that it was too general considering the scoring system of the game. If there's a problem with hanging around a stage forever (in the sense that there's really no difficulty in doing it), then we need to address this specifically. Is it really easy to do or are you just too good at it?

My concern is, if you can't point press by hanging in a stage, then what will determine the best run among those that can reach wave Z? Is it the player that is advancing the slowest in each wave cause he's less good at cruising through waves? If it is so, then the rule can ironically give an edge to the one bending it the most (out of his will maybe). At the least, with a stupid point pressing marathon, you know the one that got the highest score is the one sacrificing the most if his time.

So, we can either permit the point pressing marathon (for the few that will make it to wave Z), or make a rule based on the honor system : Don't hang in a wave to specifically point press casual enemies.

Thoughts?

It is quite easy to hang around the end of the wave if you leave just one of those blue dots flying around and then focus on taking out the red squares and flying saucers that spawn.
Usually, you will have two enemies to deal with, including the blue dot, but at worst case scenario you will have 4 of them.
And you can see the enemies spawning a mile away and dodge them easily. The most difficult part is actually not shooting the blue dot by accident and ending the wave.

Without point pressing, the one who would win would likely be the player that manages to rescue more humans that were captured by aliens, as those are worth 1000 or 1500 points instead of the 900 points that you get from the remainng at the end of the stage.
And it is quite tough to rescue them without shooting them by accident.

Or maybe, if we are going to keep the point racking, drop the wave Z limitation. If we are going to marathon this, it is far more fun and dangerous to do so during the waves, so people could chose over keep going wave after wave or to point rack at the end of a wave.
Someone who decides to keep going will gather more points faster, but would take more risks than someone who decides to point rack at the end of a wave, so I feel it would be fair for both.

Edited: 06/13/2017 at 07:08 AM by Bea_Iank

Jun 13, 2017 at 8:32:15 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Originally posted by: guillavoie

Score update, page 1.

Thoughts?

It is quite easy to hang around the end of the wave if you leave just one of those blue dots flying around and then focus on taking out the red squares and flying saucers that spawn.
Usually, you will have two enemies to deal with, including the blue dot, but at worst case scenario you will have 4 of them.
And you can see the enemies spawning a mile away and dodge them easily. The most difficult part is actually not shooting the blue dot by accident and ending the wave.

Without point pressing, the one who would win would likely be the player that manages to rescue more humans that were captured by aliens, as those are worth 1000 or 1500 points instead of the 900 points that you get from the remainng at the end of the stage.
And it is quite tough to rescue them without shooting them by accident.

Or maybe, if we are going to keep the point racking, drop the wave Z limitation. If we are going to marathon this, it is far more fun and dangerous to do so during the waves, so people could chose over keep going wave after wave or to point rack at the end of a wave.
Someone who decides to keep going will gather more points faster, but would take more risks than someone who decides to point rack at the end of a wave, so I feel it would be fair for both.

I agree with dropping z wave limitation if point pressing is allowed. 

It's also hard to get a pic on that screen.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion