Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Removing Pesky Rental Stickers

Nov 13, 2006 at 11:06:55 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Since these little things annoy me so much, I decided to write a small little guide on ebay to save some other people a little hassle. Click here:
http://reviews.ebay.com/Removi...ugidZ10000000002348616

Hopefully this will help some of you out, these things are sooo hard to remove sometimes. Let me know if you all think this is helpful or not.
~~NGD

-------------------------
Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Nov 13, 2006 at 11:55:19 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Hm! Thanks I've been wrestling with Goo Gone and scrubbing with the applicator tip definitely takes 5-8 minutes to get the whole thing off. I'm going to get a bottle, I've been meaning to for a while but your article was inspiring I have a few in my personal collection that I just haven't gotten around to yet I'll let you know how I like it compared to the other stuff

Nov 14, 2006 at 2:15:26 AM
wrldstrman (107)
(doug prickett) < Master Higgins >
West Virginia
cool ill have to give it a try if iget another game with a rental sticker

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poking me in the ribs and cackling, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:45:03 PM
Glass Joe (0)
(aaron whallon) < Junior Member >
New York
Good article. I actually spent some time this weekend ruining a copy of Mendel Palace with nail polish remover trying to get rid of one of those stupid void stickers. I'll have to give your method a try next weekend.

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:50:53 PM
Battymo (100)
(Scrubb'n Nutz) < King Solomon >
Nova Scotia
I use a number of different methods to get my games sticker free. Usually I use either Spray-Nine or Fantastik w/ bleach and a scrub brush. Just spray the sticker (up close so you don't get liquid on the label) and let it sit for a minute or so. Then scrub it off with the brush. Usually works pretty well. I also find the Fantastic w/ Bleach is good for polishing the game connectors. Just make sure you get all the bleach off when you are done!

I find that Goo-Gone is too "liquidy" if that makes sense to any one. Seems to run a lot and gets onto the label quite frequently.

I bought a dozen games from a guy for a buck a piece because he said they were COVERED so bad in stickers that they couldn't be brought back to collection standards. Well... two hours later I had 10 of the 12 in super condition, while only 2 of them were lost causes. Damn that white-out! (Any one know what gets white-out off a cart!!??)

Edited: 11/14/2006 at 08:51 PM by Battymo

Nov 14, 2006 at 8:54:52 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: BattymoAny one know what gets white-out off a cart!!??

Try hairspray,

-Dain

Nov 15, 2006 at 8:46:03 PM
BootGod (16)
(Mark Lacey) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
Goo-Gone comes in a gel form too, works a bit better IMO because it doesn't run all over the place. Compared to other things I've tried, Goo-Gone seems to be best for getting sticky shit off carts. I use Windex to clean general dirt and grime. Denatured alcohol for marker, and some nasty stuff called PEC-12 if that doesn't work. I used to use De-Oxit for cleaning connectors, but Dain turned me to something called Weiman's Glass Cooktop Cleaner, which works fantastically, and it's cheaper and readily available too

Dain, I have to ask, how did you ever come to trying this stuff on connectors? Did someone pass this info on to you, or did you just try random shit and got lucky? It's just such a bizarre thing to even think of trying!

Nov 15, 2006 at 9:00:40 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
LOL, there's a guy on ebay who sells games (I don't remember his ebay ID) that has the "before" and "after" pics of the contacts. I simply emailed him one day and asked, just in case it was legit. To my delight, he told me about that stuff, so I tried it -- and damn that stuff works great.

I ever wrote a cheesy review on it:

http://reviews.ebay.com/The-SE...gidZ10000000001205863

-Dain

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:29:42 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
haha, yeah me and Dain exchanged cleaning tips when I was at his place. I was amazed at the stove top cleaner, and he seemed pretty happy about my voic sticker method. Man we are all nerds
~~NGD

Nov 16, 2006 at 2:07:07 PM
extrarice (0)
(Jon Signor) < Cherub >
California
So, any tips on removing rental sticker residue from disc-based media? I have a few Dreamcast GDs that are still sticky on the top... ><

Nov 16, 2006 at 8:18:50 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I don't buy used disc-based stuff, so I can't help ya there. I always buy new cause I hate having them all scratched up.
~~NGD

Nov 17, 2006 at 2:03:49 AM
pseudonym (39)
(Jack N.) < Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
I mostly use WD-40 or Goo-Gone personally for security stickers. Peel them off, scrape off what's left with something with a flat edge, and apply a little Goo-Gone to take off the residue.

Regular stickers on labels aren't that hard to take off either but you have be careful about what you use to clean off the residue. Security stickers can be taken off without any damage to the label but you have to be REALLY careful. Ones that are on the edge of the label I don't even bother with.

What do you guys recommend for markers? I'll have to try your other suggestions as soon as I can find some of these items.

Nov 17, 2006 at 10:21:07 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: pseudonym
What do you guys recommend for markers? I'll have to try your other suggestions as soon as I can find some of these items.

I just got my can of denatured alcohol yesterday and I'm a believer. It is sold near the terpentine, mineral spirits and all that is dangerous and flammable. It made the sharpie on the front plastic of my SNES cartridge into black soup and after 2 q-tips worth the number had faded almost completely away. I'm sure with a little tiny bit more effort I could get it to be almost imperceptible. Didn't harm the plastic AT ALL. Amazing stuff. Got to take it off relatively quickly or it will begin to haze the plastic a bit but nowhere near as bad/permanently as isopropyl alcohol, the little hazing that happened came off with a wet finger.

Nov 17, 2006 at 11:39:00 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Denatured Al. is is hands down the best thing I have seen to clean games. My brother told me about and I was amazed when I first started using it, I keep 2 cans on hand all the time. Glad it is helping you guys out a little.
~~NGD