NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Paper Mario Color Splash

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:26:30 PM
50 Cent (33)
(Curtis Jackson) < Kraid Killer >
Quebec
I don't know what you guys think about the next Paper Mario on Wii U:

I'm personally a huge fan of the series and I'm pretty much disapointed by the direction Nintendo is taking on the series. This vid sums 100% my thoughts about what's going on:

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:28:43 PM
GreatGadon (3)
(Robert ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
I've never actually played a paper mario game or read up on them. What is the play style like? are they just another Mario plat-former with a different art style?

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:23:16 PM
Falleninglass (1)
< Little Mac >
Pennsylvania
That video is awesome! Ive never seen his video's before but he makes a lot of sense. Absolutely Fantastic video. Love me some paper mario!

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:36:10 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: GreatGadon

I've never actually played a paper mario game or read up on them. What is the play style like? are they just another Mario plat-former with a different art style?

there are 4 games in the series the first two were fantastic RPGs, and the third was a 2d platformer with a gimmick where you can turn the perspective so you're moving in 3d rather then 2d, kinda hard to explain but you can look it up and it'll make sense. Haven't played the fourth one yet. But I've heard it's not like the first two and those are the best ones IMO. If you're interested in rpgs I'd say check out the first two ( paper Mario, paper Mario Thousand Year Door) and leave it at that or if you prefer platformers check out the third one (super paper Mario). I have had no real interest in playing the fourth one yet but I'll get to it one day

-------------------------
Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:40:00 PM
Wasbi (14)
(Jon Wasabi) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

there are 4 games in the series the first two were fantastic RPGs, and the third was a 2d platformer with a gimmick where you can turn the perspective so you're moving in 3d rather then 2d, kinda hard to explain but you can look it up and it'll make sense. Haven't played the fourth one yet. But I've heard it's not like the first two and those are the best ones IMO. If you're interested in rpgs I'd say check out the first two ( paper Mario, paper Mario Thousand Year Door) and leave it at that or if you prefer platformers check out the third one (super paper Mario). I have had no real interest in playing the fourth one yet but I'll get to it one day

Dont forget paper mario 3ds's updated battle system. It recieved huge backlash because of the radically different mechanics.

As for the wiiu one im pretty much hype for it. Ill see what direction it takes in the coming months. If its too much like the 3rd one im ditching. But overall im likimg what I see

Vanilla-Zelda CIB collection completion: 98.9%
Missing: 4-Swords Adventures Gamecube Inserts/Manual (PM me if you're selling!)

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:45:34 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Wasbi

Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

Dont forget paper mario 3ds's updated battle system. It recieved huge backlash because of the radically different mechanics.

As for the wiiu one im pretty much hype for it. Ill see what direction it takes in the coming months. If its too much like the 3rd one im ditching. But overall im likimg what I see

yeah I heard about the battle system but didn't comment because I haven't played it myself. To me it doesn't look like a good time. Also Mario and Luigi paper jam had paper Mario in it. I'm reaching the point where I feel like that'll be the closest I'll get to another proper paper Mario. I'll be watching this new one but I'm going to be looking at lots of reviews and thinking very hard before I decide if I'm purchasing it or not

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:16:42 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
The first Paper Mario game I ever played was Super Paper Mario. The RPG element never interested me much, but I tried Super Paper Mario because it was supposed to be more of a platforming game. The funny thing was that I enjoyed the RPG elements more than the platforming elements. So I tried the original Paper Mario for the first time a back in January. I ended up beating it for the "Can NA beat every N64 game in 2016" thread. Hands down the best N64 game I've ever played and one of the best overall video games I've ever played. Needless to say, I went straight into The Thousand Year Door right after (and currently on chapter 7). Also a fantastic game, but I probably prefer the original. Overall, they are amazing games and I cannot recommend them enough. I've never played Sticker Star, but I don't own a 3DS and I really don't enjoy playing portable games for any long period of time. In addition to that, it looks as though they strayed pretty far from the original formula and I'm not sure if I would really enjoy it that much anyway. From what I've seen, Paper Jam really falls under the "Mario & Luigi" series, just with some Paper Mario elements added. I've never played any of the Mario & Luigi series mainly because, like I said before, the thought of a text based RPG game on a portable device doesn't sound like much fun for for me. I own Superstar Saga, and since it's GBA, I can play it with the GB Player on the big screen. I'll get around to it some day. If I enjoy it enough, maybe I'll put up with the DS screen to play the others, but that's a long way from now.

As far as the new Paper Mario goes, the preview doesn't get me too excited. But I will still probably give it a try eventually. At least it's back on the big screen. I don't own a Wii U yet, but eventually I'll get one.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Edited: 03/07/2016 at 11:17 PM by TDIRunner

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:32:26 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Oh, and I definitely agree with the second video. That must be one of the most underwhelming announcements for a game I've ever seen. I thought it was fake for a minute. I was thinking there was no way this was how I was going to learn about the new Paper Mario game.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:27:53 AM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
What's the problem? It looks good to me. I am not a huge Mario fan but I do like the Paper Mario series and enjoyed every entry thus far.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:36:45 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
In terms of the Paper Mario aesthetic, that actually looks really good.

Tough to judge the gameplay from the video, though. Looks like it might be a return to the standard turn-based combat system.

I never understood the complaints against Super paper Mario, though.
It kept all the goofy/quirky aspects of Thousand-Year-Door, and had a stat-driven active combat system like the SoTN-heritage Castlevania games.
It's not like it isn't a well-loved way to do a more active RPG.

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:49:04 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Thousand Year Door was awesome, and my first (and only) Paper Mario experience. This looks neat however.

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:05:46 AM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
I cannot help but be reminded back when Zelda Windwaker, Metroid Prime, and Mario Sunshine were announced for Gamecube, all hell broke loose about Zelda and Metroid (can't recall if Sunshine got slack or not) but once they came out everything changed again and see mention how good/great they are/were.

Even though I am against the ideal of that Metroid Federation Force, this isn't anything new with Nintendo doing something odd sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (e.g. Animal Crossing on Wii being the NDS Wild World on the big screen with a "town" added) plus nothing more one can do but to accept what they are doing and just don't buy it if you don't want it. Don't get me wrong I did watch the second video and it hit some good points.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:24:59 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: MuNKeY

I cannot help but be reminded back when Zelda Windwaker, Metroid Prime, and Mario Sunshine were announced for Gamecube, all hell broke loose about Zelda and Metroid (can't recall if Sunshine got slack or not) but once they came out everything changed again and see mention how good/great they are/were.

Even though I am against the ideal of that Metroid Federation Force, this isn't anything new with Nintendo doing something odd sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't (e.g. Animal Crossing on Wii being the NDS Wild World on the big screen with a "town" added) plus nothing more one can do but to accept what they are doing and just don't buy it if you don't want it. Don't get me wrong I did watch the second video and it hit some good points.
Since I hate watching video reviews... could you give us the quick-summary of their points/complaints?

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:28:47 AM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
I have only played the 3ds and wii paper mario games. I thought they were pretty good. I don't really care for RPGs so I can't get too worked up if they choose not revisit the earlier RPG incarnations. I haven't really played them so I might be wrong, but isn't the Mario&Luigi series the successor to Super Mario RPG?

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Edited: 03/08/2016 at 10:29 AM by G-Type

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:56:02 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: G-Type

I have only played the 3ds and wii paper mario games. I thought they were pretty good. I don't really care for RPGs so I can't get too worked up if they choose not revisit the earlier RPG incarnations. I haven't really played them so I might be wrong, but isn't the Mario&Luigi series the successor to Super Mario RPG?

Both Paper Mario and Superstar Saga were successors to Super Mario RPG.  They each started their own series with a specific theme (one with a paper them and the other with controlling both Mario and Luigi theme).  That was one of the points made in the second video.  Maybe Nintendo thinks it's pointless to have two different Mario RPG series at the same time, and they decided to move the Paper series away from the traditional RPG elements. 

Personally, I didn't think it was a problem to have two different RPG series at the same time since (with one exception) the Paper series appeared on home consoles and the Mario & Luigi series appeared on portable consoles.  That was enought to make the extremely different for me. 

Edited: 03/08/2016 at 10:57 AM by TDIRunner

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:39:04 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I have only played the 3ds and wii paper mario games. I thought they were pretty good. I don't really care for RPGs so I can't get too worked up if they choose not revisit the earlier RPG incarnations. 
In Paper Mario 1 & 2 the "active combat" commands (that debuted in Super Mario RPG) become an absolutely critical part of the game, where missing the active attack or defense command means you win or lose any given battle, late-game.

Super Paper Mario just took that to the inevitable conclusion of stripping away the turned based combat entirely and just having that same "active" combat happening in the framework of the platformer portion of the game.

I thought it worked.

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:44:17 AM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
I was excited to see a Paper Mario coming to Wii U! It was definitely weird how they announced it. I sort of agree with the second video and am pretty suspect of the new one. It looks like it will be more like Sticker Star than the 1st 2 which is pretty lame. Simply calling it Color Splash instead of something like Thousand Year Door shows there is probably no real story which is sad. I thought the first 2 were great and i would love to see them go back to making that sort of game. The Mario & Luigi games are good and fun but i don't like any of them as much as the first 2 Paper Marios.

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:44:43 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I have only played the 3ds and wii paper mario games. I thought they were pretty good. I don't really care for RPGs so I can't get too worked up if they choose not revisit the earlier RPG incarnations. 
In Paper Mario 1 & 2 the "active combat" commands (that debuted in Super Mario RPG) become an absolutely critical part of the game, where missing the active attack or defense command means you win or lose any given battle, late-game.

Super Paper Mario just took that to the inevitable conclusion of stripping away the turned based combat entirely and just having that same "active" combat happening in the framework of the platformer portion of the game.

I thought it worked.

I agree.  I thought SPM was great, but like I said above, it was also the first one I played.  Now that I've gone back and played the originals, I can say that I prefer them over SPM, but I still think it's a fantatic game.  I haven't played Sticker Star, but from what I've read, the biggest compaint is that they departed from the overworld that you can explore, and the storyline is all but gone.  SPM may have been very different from the originals, but it still had a story that you could really get into, and a world for you to explore. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:51:15 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: TDIRunner

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I thought it worked.

I agree.  I thought SPM was great, but like I said above, it was also the first one I played.  Now that I've gone back and played the originals, I can say that I prefer them over SPM, but I still think it's a fantatic game.  I haven't played Sticker Star, but from what I've read, the biggest compaint is that they departed from the overworld that you can explore, and the storyline is all but gone.  SPM may have been very different from the originals, but it still had a story that you could really get into, and a world for you to explore. 

There is no proper "overworld" in any of the Paper Mario games... they are all just interconnected contiguous levels.

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:59:26 AM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
oh my lawd! that second video is a complete joke, yeah whatever its not the same as the first 2. Holy overreaction batman, yet another screw you Nintendo you guys are a bunch of morons video. Yet somehow they are still a profitable billions dollar company

all the game series I love are mostly completely different than the originals. get over yourself. Doesn't mean it cant be a great game. Personally I think the wii u version looks awesome, especially since I am not an rpg fan

look at the evolution of Zelda, Mario, castlevania, all of them had recent games that are much much different than the originals and they are still fantastic

sorry this isn't directed at anyone here just so sick of the negative overreaction videos they are sooooooooooooo lame

Currently Playing mario sunshine, Lost vikings and paper mario color splash hd

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:59:39 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Well, maybe I didn't use the correct term, but PM, TTYD, and SPM still have a vast world that can be explored and re-explored as you acquire new abilities. It is my understanding that PMSS does not have this as it more like a traditional Mario game with levels you select form a level map. Again, I haven't played it, I'm only going by what I've read. For the record, I'm not avoiding the game due to what I've read. If PMSS was on a home console, I would probably try it. I still have hope that Nintendo will come out with a way to play DS and 3DS games on my full size TV. But until then, anything other than a short puzzle game on a portable system is just meh for me.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:01:00 PM
Majesty ZX (40)
(Ginger ) < Lolo Lord >
Georgia
I'm waiting for it, but I won't be upset if it isn't "amazing".

Thousand Year Door was nothing short of a masterpiece and I really hate that it's the benchmark for the series. Nintendo will probably never reach that level of success with a Paper Mario game again. So as long as it's better than the half-assed 64 version, I'm fine.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:04:13 PM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon
Originally posted by: Majesty ZX

Thousand Year Door was nothing short of a masterpiece and I really hate that it's the benchmark for the series. Nintendo will probably never reach that level of success with a Paper Mario game again. So as long as it's better than the half-assed 64 version, I'm fine.

Half Assed 64 version? What's half assed about it? It was the first 1. If anything Sticker Star is half assed cuz they dumbed down pretty much everything from the first 2 games.

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Edited: 03/08/2016 at 01:06 PM by D~Funk

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:11:03 PM
Majesty ZX (40)
(Ginger ) < Lolo Lord >
Georgia
Paper Mario 64 feels like a beta when compared to Thousand Year door. Outside of maybe the toybox, a ton of the areas and characters are identical, the story is pretty bland honestly, writing is whatevs.

It feels like it was released just because it was late in the 64's lifespan and they'd spent too much time working on it to just finish it on the Gamecube. Like they just wanted to recoup some of the costs of time developing what they had already.

TYD is the finished product of what 64 wanted to be. It doesn't feel like a sequel in any way, it feels like a completed version of the 64 title.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:11:53 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: dqualls187

Originally posted by: Majesty ZX

Half Assed 64 version? What's half assed about it? It was the first 1. If anything Sticker Star is half assed cuz they dumbed down pretty much everything from the first 2 games.

There is a serious lack of polish in the N64 version, compared to its own predecessor, Super Mario RPG.

After you've played Thousand Year Door, it basically makes the N64 game feel like a alpha-test.

A lot of the completionist elements of TTYD (bestiary, cookbook, etc) could have easily been included in the original, and their omission really hollows out the side-questing aspect of the game.