Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Hardware Extended Famicom to NES converter. For Frontloader Toaster NES.

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:13:27 PM
Muramasa (18)
(Muramasa TheNinja) < Crack Trooper >
United States

Here's something that ended up on the backburner for quite a while but is almost ready. My extended Famicom to NES converter. I mainly made it for the purpose of using a FDS Ram adapter with a Toaster NES. Since the converters sticks out the front and can't be seated down a blinking light win or perfect pins are needed. It also doesn't look good being used with RF as the output, but looks amazing with even just composite.

It does have the expanded famicom audio hooked up though. So if your NES is enabled for expansion audio it will come through which is particularly important for the FDS.

I'm planning to make a small batch of them that I will bring to PRGE with me as well as put up on my website. I would like to find out how much interest there is to see if I should make more than that. I'm planning to sell these for around $30.

Shout out to skyway1985 and tt for help troubleshooting problems with this. Probably would have stayed on the backburner forever if it wasn't for them.

This is the kind of thing being on my email list helps with. When they are available an email will go out to my email list or you can check my store at www.muramasaentertainment.com. I will also try to get back to this thread as well.

And of course some pictures

Edited: 09/19/2017 at 02:54 PM by Muramasa

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:17:20 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Is there a reason it couldn't be set up like one of those sachen piggyback carts? I kinda like my oem pins the way they are.

-------------------------
Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:20:51 PM
Muramasa (18)
United States
Mostly I'm not exactly sure how would build it that way. Originally it was just going to be for me and a few friends but thought more people might be interested as well. Also my pins are original OEM pins as well just boiled them to get them working good again.

Sep 19, 2017 at 6:14:04 PM
Duke.Togo (114)
(Christopher Cantrell) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
This looks like a better solution than a Honeybee converter, and not a bad idea for use in a Sharp. Consider me interested. Good design.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:45:00 AM
Nesmaniac (3)
(Matthew Sizemore) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
Outstanding work & design.

Sep 25, 2017 at 3:55:57 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Nice! OP would you have any interest creating a proper 72-to-60 pin convertor? I don't think there's one on the market that has proper routing for expansion audio.

Edited: 09/25/2017 at 03:56 PM by Brachabre

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:53:43 AM
Nesmaniac (3)
Kentucky
I need an adapter that will allow me to use a game genie in my side loader which uses a game genie connector. (btw I'll send you the game genie board if you want it I messaged you) Since connectors other than the zero force original pins are too tight for the game genie I got thinking if I could just get a 72 pin male to male connector about half the length of a NES game (that would allow it to protrude enough from my side loader) then I could simply stick an original 72 nes front loader connector over the end just as it slides on the motherboard. This way I could install a game genie into it with no issues. If I could just get a board made I could design and make the rest basically just using a NES game cartridge housing with one end like a regular NES game connector that plugs in & the other end sticking out the top of the cartridge which I could slide old nes connectors on for the game genie. Can you make something like that or have anything else that might work I'm open to ideas. Even if I could find a 72 to 72 pin with a cartridge connector that would allow me to seat a game genie in permanently would work too I suppose.

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:31:54 PM
Muramasa (18)
United States
Originally posted by: Brachabre

Nice! OP would you have any interest creating a proper 72-to-60 pin convertor? I don't think there's one on the market that has proper routing for expansion audio.
So playing NES games on a Famicom? I figured I would make something like that too. One thing I need to figure out is what kind of enclosure I want to put it in.

Originally posted by: Nesmaniac

I need an adapter that will allow me to use a game genie in my side loader which uses a game genie connector. (btw I'll send you the game genie board if you want it I messaged you) Since connectors other than the zero force original pins are too tight for the game genie I got thinking if I could just get a 72 pin male to male connector about half the length of a NES game (that would allow it to protrude enough from my side loader) then I could simply stick an original 72 nes front loader connector over the end just as it slides on the motherboard. This way I could install a game genie into it with no issues. If I could just get a board made I could design and make the rest basically just using a NES game cartridge housing with one end like a regular NES game connector that plugs in & the other end sticking out the top of the cartridge which I could slide old nes connectors on for the game genie. Can you make something like that or have anything else that might work I'm open to ideas. Even if I could find a 72 to 72 pin with a cartridge connector that would allow me to seat a game genie in permanently would work too I suppose.

A 72 pin to 72 pin male adapter would be completely possible. The main issue with some thing like that is it doesn't appeal to too many people. I did think about doing an extended 72 pin adapter which would just basically bring the connector out like the extended famicom converter so I don't always have to have the top off of my NES.

On a side note I have a cold right now so if this doesn't make any sense I'm blaming that.  

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:29:34 PM
Nesmaniac (3)
Kentucky
opps, see below & delete this post if possible.

Edited: 09/27/2017 at 04:34 PM by Nesmaniac

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:32:14 PM
Nesmaniac (3)
Kentucky
Originally posted by: Muramasa

So playing NES games on a Famicom? I figured I would make something like that too. One thing I need to figure out is what kind of enclosure I want to put it in.

Originally posted by: Nesmaniac

A 72 pin to 72 pin male adapter would be completely possible. The main issue with some thing like that is it doesn't appeal to too many people. I did think about doing an extended 72 pin adapter which would just basically bring the connector out like the extended famicom converter so I don't always have to have the top off of my NES.

On a side note I have a cold right now so if this doesn't make any sense I'm blaming that.  

Yeah makes perfect sense I can see where it might not be too popular. I've actually went to some PCB design sites to see if I could design the board for them to make but I have to know some measurements first like the proper thickness etc...but it would be cool to get a board like I envision. I could make the housing around it & simply use the old 72 pin connector sticking out the side to use a game genie in. It would even be nice to have to test old games in that haven't been fully polished yet because sometimes I just want to quickly test a game and simply swab the contacts with rubbing alcohol without taking it apart and cleaning it right due to time restraints. I'll never put a unpolished game in my side loader. I can't mess the connector up in it because if it goes bad the whole unit has to be scrapped since it's J.B. welded in place. Actually an adapter like I speak of would be handy to test connectors themselves come to think of it. Anyways, hope you get over that cold soon & let me know if you want me to mail you that game genie board. I already have it in a little bubble mailer weighs about 2 oz shipped from 40741 I'd like to see what you come up with on a game genie pcb that will work in top loaders. Definitely a big big demand for those I've been researching a lot of youtube videos on that. Someone make something akin to what galoob sent out free to game genie owners who had a top loader back in the day would sell like crazy I'm thinking & I'm shocked no one has appeared to do that yet considering they are bringing like $300 on ebay. I understand a lot of that is collectors but still an affordable one would be pretty popular I'd imagine.

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:35:33 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: Muramasa

Yep!

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:36:31 AM
Muramasa (18)
United States
Available now on my site. HERE

Edited: 11/30/2017 at 12:37 AM by Muramasa

Jun 04 at 10:42:16 AM
JxMx (4)
(Jx Mx) < Crack Trooper >
Pennsylvania
Any Chance or possible , if there is enough interest, to do a 2nd run of these ? or does anyone have one available ? Would love to use my fdsstick on my 001

Check out My Lists :)

Wanted List >>> https://docs.google.com/spreadshe...

Available For Trade /Offer List >>> https://docs.google.com/spreadshe...

Jun 16 at 3:37:56 PM
Muramasa (18)
United States
I'm planning to do another run soonish. I'll send out an email when they are finally available.

Jun 18 at 10:28:53 AM
JxMx (4)
(Jx Mx) < Crack Trooper >
Pennsylvania
Awesome .. Thanks for the update

Check out My Lists :)

Wanted List >>> https://docs.google.com/spreadshe...

Available For Trade /Offer List >>> https://docs.google.com/spreadshe...