Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Billy Mitchell's +1M DK records possibly done on MAME, not real hardware 4/12 update: Billy banned from TG and his scores removed

Apr 16, 2018 at 8:04:02 AM
Ichinisan (29)
< King Solomon >
Georgia
Originally posted by: teh lurv

Billy Mitchell released a statement regarding his ban and record disqualification:

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mjt..." width="500">>

He claims the current owners of Twin Galaxies did this for sensationalism and web site hits. Nope! This started when a user submitted a dispute through the system that was made for this.

It's no surprise that Billy Mitchell prefers the old system where nothing was ever questioned or analyzed.

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:58:49 AM
Nightowljrm (42)
(Joseph Morgan) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
I'm interested in seeing what 'evidence' he's going to bring forth. Sounds like he's just dragging it out.

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:38:56 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Hmm. I expected him to say something like "no, I didn't use MAME, and I'm going to prove it!" But instead he said a bunch of generic lawyer nonsense in terms of what he was trying to accomplish with all his "evidence." Maybe he can prove some scores were legitimate and not others? I don't know how he can counter the MAME screen-transition artifacts, but I'll definitely pay attention to whatever he comes up with.

Honestly, I don't want to jump on the internet hate train and stonewall everything he tries to say. I don't like him, but if he set real records then he should get real props. Video games are important to him and I can dig that. He's not taking this opportunity to disappear, which I would probably do if I were a big fat cheater.

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:18:37 PM
Totino (9)
(Sean ) < Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: Splain

Hmm. I expected him to say something like "no, I didn't use MAME, and I'm going to prove it!" But instead he said a bunch of generic lawyer nonsense in terms of what he was trying to accomplish with all his "evidence." Maybe he can prove some scores were legitimate and not others? I don't know how he can counter the MAME screen-transition artifacts, but I'll definitely pay attention to whatever he comes up with.

Honestly, I don't want to jump on the internet hate train and stonewall everything he tries to say. I don't like him, but if he set real records then he should get real props. Video games are important to him and I can dig that. He's not taking this opportunity to disappear, which I would probably do if I were a big fat cheater.

He certainly has legit scores. In the 80s, he played live and got his ~800k score. But his rivalary as depicted in King of Kong clearly led him astray and caused him to cheat. After watching that documentary, I'm not sure how anyone can come away with any other opinion other than "Something here smells funny". Then you see the proof when you actually investigate his record setting videos.

Even if they let his old legit scores stand, which is probably a good compromise for him, he should certainly be banned going forward as it's clear he has no remorse. And the fact that he won't disappear and admit fault just gives more ammo to the people who want ALL of his legacy to be wiped away.

-------------------------
Current Focus and Looking to buy for (I LOVE lots):
Sega Genesis - Loose and CIB
NES - Loose and CIB
Sega Saturn + Sega Dreamcast - CIB Only
SNES - Loose and CIB

PM me those deals yo!

Edited: 04/16/2018 at 03:20 PM by Totino

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:26:00 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Totino

But his rivalary as depicted in King of Kong clearly led him astray and caused him to cheat. After watching that documentary, I'm not sure how anyone can come away with any other opinion other than "Something here smells funny". 

That was a movie, the filmmakers had a story they wanted to tell.  Having a good guy and a bad guy makes for better storytelling and higher entertainement value.  I don't have any idea if he cheated or not, but forming an opinion based off of how he was portrayed in King of Kong is pretty flawed IMO.  I'm sure if they were so inclined they could have protrayed him in a much better light. 

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:29:32 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: B.A.

But his rivalary as depicted in King of Kong clearly led him astray and caused him to cheat. After watching that documentary, I'm not sure how anyone can come away with any other opinion other than "Something here smells funny". 

That was a movie, the filmmakers had a story they wanted to tell.  Having a good guy and a bad guy makes for better storytelling and higher entertainement value.  I don't have any idea if he cheated or not, but forming an opinion based off of how he was portrayed in King of Kong is pretty flawed IMO.  I'm sure if they were so inclined they could have protrayed him in a much better light. 

the filmakers have stated their portrayal is already a toned down version of mitchell

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:34:06 PM
Totino (9)
(Sean ) < Crack Trooper >
New York
Originally posted by: B.A.

As I stated, once you investigate the actual videos, it's quite clear he cheated. The documentary simply leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth... There's no flaws in what I've stated. The actual gameplay recordings make it quite clear they didn't manipulate his appearance on camera though. Mitchell wants to look like the cocky bad guy, and wouldn't you know it, he actually is!

Current Focus and Looking to buy for (I LOVE lots):
Sega Genesis - Loose and CIB
NES - Loose and CIB
Sega Saturn + Sega Dreamcast - CIB Only
SNES - Loose and CIB

PM me those deals yo!

Edited: 04/16/2018 at 03:36 PM by Totino

Sep 18 at 5:44:11 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/14...

This is still going on. He's taking legal action, he wants Twin Galaxies and Guinness to reinstate his records.

Sep 18 at 5:47:05 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/14/20865828/billy-mitchell-th...

This is still going on. He's taking legal action, he wants Twin Galaxies and Guinness to reinstate his records.

ugh, I knew this wouldn't just go away. 

Sep 20 at 1:10:50 PM
Buyatari (14)
(Adam Harvey) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Just make a new rule and limit scores to those played during live competition.
You won't single anyone out.Then all those scores are no longer valid.

Sep 20 at 1:51:19 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado

Sep 20 at 3:28:51 PM
< Lolo Lord >
Florida
Originally posted by: barrels

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/14/20865828/billy-mitchell-th...

ugh, I knew this wouldn't just go away. 

Maybe he's just looking for attention. Honestly, that would be my first guess.