Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Presents: Cobra Triangle Contest ends Sunday, 12/21/14 at 11 PM NA time

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:24:52 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

Hey, you're back?! We haven't seen you forever! Welcome back to the contests

It's been about a year since I retired from competing after last year's winter tournament. I figured I'd check in and see how everything is going. It looks like the weekly contests are still going strong, which is great to see!

-------------------------
2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:13:37 AM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
Made it to the red sea monster with continues and promptly got my ass handed to me. I would really like to know if there is a guaranteed way to get those extra lives that sit behind the finish line of the bonus levels. Once in a while I get lucky and nab one but I don't know how to get them consistently...

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:20:10 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
Originally posted by: BriGuy82

Made it to the red sea monster with continues and promptly got my ass handed to me. I would really like to know if there is a guaranteed way to get those extra lives that sit behind the finish line of the bonus levels. Once in a while I get lucky and nab one but I don't know how to get them consistently...

Aren't you supposed to shoot all the targets then spin like crazy when you cross the finish line?

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:24:52 AM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey

Aren't you supposed to shoot all the targets then spin like crazy when you cross the finish line?

Thats what I try to do but it barely ever works... Especially on the first bonus level when I'm positive I've shot all the targets. Does it work for you consistently?

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:51:13 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland

Thats what I try to do but it barely ever works... Especially on the first bonus level when I'm positive I've shot all the targets. Does it work for you consistently?

I don't know, I get it to work sometimes but not every time. At least I know that it never worked for me when I didn't hit every target.

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:45:51 PM
BilltownSparty (87)
(Ben ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan

fun game will definetely revisit when i am not currently infatuated with my wii u ha

Big thanks to Bimmy and Guillavoie for all the hard work on this contest this year.  Very fun, love the wide variety of game choices.  Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

Currently Playing mario sunshine, Lost vikings and paper mario color splash hd

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:41:48 PM
G-Type (1)
(Geoff ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
This game is definitely one of the hardest games I've played. Farthest I got was the waterfalls.

Check out my comic, The Scientists. It's like a "Genius-centric 'Goonies' that can turn thriller at any moment". 

Edited: 12/21/2014 at 01:42 PM by G-Type

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:35:25 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

The guaranteed way is that you ONLY get that 1-up if you kill ALL targets.

Then after you do your spin, you'll automatically motor over to the 1-up.

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:29:20 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

The guaranteed way is that you ONLY get that 1-up if you kill ALL targets.

Then after you do your spin, you'll automatically motor over to the 1-up.

Geez, I wait until the final day to look this tid-bit up . You have to hit all the targets AND the missile posts! I actually think I might have beaten the game already if I would've known this earlier. I'm such a stooge, I actually didn't even really care to hit those missile posts until I found this out... (Just broke 900k with this new helpful info!)

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:29:07 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina
Score: 438,400

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:56:03 PM
Velinos (11)

(Noah ) < Crack Trooper >
Wisconsin

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:25:27 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin

This one falls under the category of a game I owned but never played, and it showed. I was low on time and it wasn't a strong game for me anyway this week. I'll be looking forward to the tournament.

Edited: 12/21/2014 at 10:25 PM by EgasKrad

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:25:41 PM
8thStPHX (5)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona

I'll update this post tomorrow with the picture. It's pretty essential to hit all the targets on the bonus stage to get a high score, which I didn't on the second one. Wish I had more time to try again.

Thanks for putting the contests together!

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:00:51 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: 8thStPHX

I'll update this post tomorrow with the picture. It's pretty essential to hit all the targets on the bonus stage to get a high score, which I didn't on the second one. Wish I had more time to try again.

We truly appreciate your nice words and score submission, but unfortunately the Cobra Triangle contest ended at 11 PM. This said, it was the last contest of the year, and you'll have the chance to start anew after the Holidays in the 2015 edition.

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:11:40 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
COBRA TRIANGLE RESULTS :

1st - BriGuy82 - 918,750 +11 points
2nd - Vectrex280996 - 714,600 +10 points
3rd - CLAYB1RD - 438,4000 +9 points
4th - arch 8ngel - 307,200 +8 points
5th - gutsman004 - 197,650 + 7 points
6th - JamesRobot - 183,000 +6 points
7th - arnpoly - 159,200 +5 points
8th - EgasKrad - 76,800 +4 points
9th - BilltownSparty - 39,200 +3 points
10th - Velinos - 22,600 +2 points

Thanks for participating in the weekly contest 2014 edition everyone!

YOU GUYS ROCK!

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:22:43 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Wow, really impressive scores!

I didn't even want to bother trying again...

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:24:38 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
I get the impression that a lot of people didn't realize you could "spin" as you crossed the finish line.

That was worth at least 5k per level, more if you had a higher speed.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:30:30 AM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

I get the impression that a lot of people didn't realize you could "spin" as you crossed the finish line.

Ha, you might be right because I had no idea.  It wouldn't have helped my score much (or motivation to play, for that matter) but it's neat to know.

Take On The NES Library!

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:32:05 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: arnpoly

Ha, you might be right because I had no idea.  It wouldn't have helped my score much (or motivation to play, for that matter) but it's neat to know.

Also, there turns out to be a trick to the crab boss... the top right corner is a safe zone... seek refuge and fire away.

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:46:27 AM
8thStPHX (5)
< Crack Trooper >
Arizona
Originally posted by: guillavoie

We truly appreciate your nice words and score submission, but unfortunately the Cobra Triangle contest ended at 11 PM. This said, it was the last contest of the year, and you'll have the chance to start anew after the Holidays in the 2015 edition.

Yeah, I almost asked if the picture had to be up before the contest ended.  It was just a pain doing it from my phone.  But, definitely understood and no problem.

Just for posterity sake, here's my pic.  Even if I can't actually get points on the contest results board.  Maybe I can get a participation ribbon.  ha!

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:50:21 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Originally posted by: guillavoie

Yeah, I almost asked if the picture had to be up before the contest ended.  It was just a pain doing it from my phone.  But, definitely understood and no problem.

Just for posterity sake, here's my pic.  Even if I can't actually get points on the contest results board.  Maybe I can get a participation ribbon.  ha!

Definitely looks like you wiped out in the same level I did, in pretty much the same way!  (unfortunate ramp-hit and ending up on dry land)

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:54:09 AM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

Also, there turns out to be a trick to the crab boss... the top right corner is a safe zone... seek refuge and fire away.

Haha nice!  I had a little luck toward the bottom on the screen when I played.  I can see why the upper right is a good safe zone but I would have never thought to try that!

Any more insider information?  Please share! 

Take On The NES Library!

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:56:55 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Haha nice!  I had a little luck toward the bottom on the screen when I played.  I can see why the upper right is a good safe zone but I would have never thought to try that!

Any more insider information?  Please share! 

I'm sure there is a trick to being able to safely use the jump-ramps in the later races, but I suspect it would involve having seen a full map of the level to know how not to fuck it up.

I did find that having 2 speed upgrades made the first waterfall level pretty straightforward, though, since the distance between the whirlpool and the ramp was enough to clear the gap at that point, so you could time your attempt.

And I never pulled it off, but supposedly if you save all 8 kids you get a bonus 1-up in those levels.
(there were also points for dragging them back into the ring if you were ballsy enough to leave the center)

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:27:01 AM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

I'm sure there is a trick to being able to safely use the jump-ramps in the later races, but I suspect it would involve having seen a full map of the level to know how not to fuck it up.

I did find that having 2 speed upgrades made the first waterfall level pretty straightforward, though, since the distance between the whirlpool and the ramp was enough to clear the gap at that point, so you could time your attempt.

And I never pulled it off, but supposedly if you save all 8 kids you get a bonus 1-up in those levels.
(there were also points for dragging them back into the ring if you were ballsy enough to leave the center)

My "trick" for the waterfall level was to wait on the right-hand side just before whirlpool.  Once the whirlpool bounces off the right wall - which should be right in front of the boat - hit the gas and the ramp will be pretty close to the right side too and I could hit it often.  I usually had to shift left just a touch to hit it.  This strategy fell apart though on the double whirlpools before the last jump though.

I did know about points bringing the kids back to the center.  I would do it whenever I was trying to avoid the guided missile.  Usually I would take the hit but if you get hit by the missile every time you'll die before the timer runs out.

This is a pretty interesting question for everyone still reading this ... what is the most amount of people you were able to save?  Usually I would only have one or two left but one time I saved six!

Take On The NES Library!

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:29:13 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I did know about points bringing the kids back to the center.  I would do it whenever I was trying to avoid the guided missile.  Usually I would take the hit but if you get hit by the missile every time you'll die before the timer runs out.

This is a pretty interesting question for everyone still reading this ... what is the most amount of people you were able to save?  Usually I would only have one or two left but one time I saved six!
I would do the "death blossom" from Last Starfighter with a couple levels of gun upgrade and homing missiles.

I had a 50/50 of dying to the flying saucers that way.

Most I ever saved was 4 or 5.  I had one run where it looked like I was going to save them all, but in the last 10 seconds I was absolutely swarmed with enemy boats and they stripped me down to 3 or 4.  It was pretty embarrassing.