Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Cleaning" cartidge based games ways Now what?

May 1, 2015 at 4:24:21 PM
bigbernie (101)
(Thomas You) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alberta
Hey,

I have some games aka troublemakers. I have used: white eraser, uhbing alcohol and even Brasso (ever so gently) Anyhow, figured brasso would be the fail-safe. It isnt, apparently. Anyone have an idea of what to do next? I understand it's a pretty vague question but i'm unsure of where to go next.The boards on the troublemaker games looks good. There's nothing obviously visibly wrong but they wont boot, not matter what. Example: Bobble Bobble comes on to a blue screen or sometimes gray, never comes on. Pokemon Yellow: Gameboy logo comes on after the screen "flashes" then never boots up from there. Lastly: Oracle of Ages: Game Boy logo comes on with the Registered logo then never boots on. Anyone have any ideas on what the next logo step to take would be. Do carts sometimes die?

May 1, 2015 at 4:40:23 PM
Faxanadude (21)
(A Winner Is You) < Kraid Killer >
North Carolina
1) try cleaning your systems.
2) follow all the traces on the board and look for cuts.
3) I think capacitors can sometimes fail.
4) It is possible that you over-cleaned them and took off the conductive coating on the pins.

-------------------------

May 1, 2015 at 5:41:31 PM
bigbernie (101)
(Thomas You) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Faxanadude

1) try cleaning your systems.
2) follow all the traces on the board and look for cuts.
3) I think capacitors can sometimes fail.
4) It is possible that you over-cleaned them and took off the conductive coating on the pins.

Thanks for he reply 1) The games are the same no matter the system, though. I have tried on numerous systems. I will look for cuts on the traces. Although I am wondering how that would happen or if that's repairable? Also if I took off the coating would I see no "gold" on the pins? I thought I went very faint with the brasso.

May 1, 2015 at 9:40:10 PM
GreatGadon (3)
(Robert ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Hmmm sorry to hear your having so much trouble. I use Twinkle Copper and Brass cleaner with a foam pad applicator that comes in the container to gently clean my games. I then use an old T-shirt to rub off the tarnish and excess polish, I've never had any problems yet and the games i clean work great.