Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join
Aug 20, 2011 at 11:31:13 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario

I have been putting off replaying this game until I could get through the first game without continues. Well, that hasn't happened yet, so I decided to just load this up anyway. However, I didn't expect to blaze through both difficulties in one day!

I had no idea that "normal" difficulty was created specifically for North America. It was as easy as I remembered. I then tried "difficult" later in the day and there was actually some challenge. For example, I tried a slightly different order with the bosses, and Metal Man was much more difficult this time around, especially since I didn't yet have the boomerangs.

Speaking of Metal Man, his weapon is overpowered! It's essentially as strong and versatile as the regular cannon, except you can aim it in any direction! Add in the fact that it uses almost no power, and you could almost use it as the default weapon in all levels. I also found it hilarious that Metal Man dies in three hits to his own weapon.

Unlike the first Mega Man, I see no absolutely clear stage order. There is a bit more leeway. The levels themselves often encourage getting certain weapons first, even if you don't need them for the boss. So, it feels like there is actually a few small decisions to make, while in the first game, it is pretty much set in stone.

This game was one of the first NES games that really impressed me with its graphics. In my mind at the time, Capcom was the company that made the best graphics, and Konami made the best music. It's kind of strange to look at the graphics now and remember being blown away by the clouds and enemies in the Airman stage. Megaman actually goes behind the clouds! Unimaginable at the time.

The music is also well done, but I prefer the music from the first game. The tunes are less memorable here.

There was something I found strange in the ending credits. It starts the list with boss "No. 9", even though there were only 6 bosses in the first game.

Here is my original thread with my impressions of the first game (one of my first threads on the forum):

-------------------------
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Edited: 08/21/2011 at 12:23 AM by Zing

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:36:32 PM
I'm_not_a_robot... (1)
(Jon Schirmacher) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
I love Mega Man 2 and always will, but my favorite is always going to be Mega Man 4. It was my first Mega Man and one of the main games I played when I was a wee lad. I personally like Skull Man's music more than any other stage music in any Mega Man's.

Mega Man 4 Life!

"Puttin' Crash Man in the trash can, like yesterdays tomatoes."

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:59:25 PM
vladictivo (112)
(Vladi ) < Lolo Lord >
Mexico
This is my favorite game from the series and I differ on the less memorable tunes impression. IMO the music from the 3 first games was improved with each installment (MM3>MM2>MM).

Keeping it custom: vladictivo.deviantart.com

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:08:09 AM
rokubungi (164)
(The Guardian) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Zing

There was something I found strange in the ending credits. It starts the list with boss "No. 8", even though there were only 6 bosses in the first game.

that's because Rock and Roll are robots # 1 and 2  both Light and Wily made the first 8 together.

If you have any GBA signage or kiosk I would be interested. Please send me a PM because I'm only here about once a month now but I'm still VERY interested in large system signage or small playable kiosks related to the GBA.

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:23:08 AM
Zing (23)
Ontario
Originally posted by: rokubungi

There was something I found strange in the ending credits. It starts the list with boss "No. 8", even though there were only 6 bosses in the first game.

that's because Rock and Roll are robots # 1 and 2  both Light and Wily made the first 8 together.

That makes sense. Also, I realize that I made a typo in the original post. The credits start with "No. 9" (Metalman).

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:00:55 AM
iressivor (8)
(Joe Pingree) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
Mega Man 2 is the gold standard by which all other Mega Man games should be measured.

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:04:31 AM
Berserker (41)
(< • • ll Andrew O. ll • • >) < Kraid Killer >
New Hampshire

Originally posted by: rokubungi

That makes sense. Also, I realize that I made a typo in the original post. The credits start with "No. 9" (Metalman).

Protoman/Blues

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:49:15 AM
RetroSnow (22)
(Kachou On!) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
For those of you guys that are fans of 2 and 3, I just did reviews on both games:

(Mega Man 2)

(Mega Man 3)

My personal favorite has always been 3, but it's a REALLY tough call picking one over the other when it comes to 2 and 3. Awesome games, and easily 2 of the best NES games of all time! I always felt like MM1 was kind of underrated too; I love that game too!

(RetroSnow) http://www.youtube.com/user/snowc...

Former PADF Division Champion and Title Defender

Originally posted by: Dinoellis

I still get panic-attacks if I see female genitalia close-up.

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:13:55 PM
Natendo (87)
(The artist formerly known as Nechestriah) < Ridley Wrangler >
Georgia
I love all the original Mega Man games but 2, 3 and 4 are my absolute favorites. I couldn't pick one particular favorite out of those 3 as they all have at least one thing they do better than the others. I don't think I ever played MM2 on difficult before. I don't really know why I never tried it... I always thought it was one of the easier MM games... maybe it's because I've been playing the version for noobs my whole life.

youtube.com/user/natebit

WTB: 
Rescue Rangers 2 Manual  •  Fire N Ice Manual  •  Rad Racer 3D Glasses
Also, I'm always hunting for Complete Nintendo Powers and  loose Box/Manuals for NES - PM me if you have any extras!

Edited: 08/21/2011 at 12:15 PM by Natendo

Aug 21, 2011 at 1:32:27 PM
snesmaster (40)
(Rick Bruns) < Meka Chicken >
New York
I made a complete set of maps for Mega Man 2 from taking screen shots from the games and piecing them together. Here is a link:

http://www.nesmaps.com/maps/MegaM...

I will eventually get to the other Mega Man games, but I started with Mega Man 2 because that was the one I got the most requests for.

Check out my site for Nintendo Maps, Sprites and Posters at: http://www.nesmaps.com...

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:25:32 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Metal Man difficult? That's the first I've heard of that.. Most people I knew growing up always went after him first!

| gameplay and talk |

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:40:12 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
Yes, he is relatively tough with just the blaster on difficult.

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:42:27 AM
Item90 (12)
(Micah Daby) < Eggplant Wizard >
Colorado
I really enjoy Mega Man 2. I never liked the 3rd one quite as much, even though I know many people really dig it. I found certain sections to be a little tedious, and if I can recall, there was a good amount fo slowdown as well.

WTB: Donkey Kong Jr. Manual.  PM Me!

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:35:22 AM
NintendoLegend (1)
(Eric Bailey) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: iressivor

Mega Man 2 is the gold standard by which all other Mega Man games should be measured.

This.

While the original is an undeniable classic, it was a first iteration at Capcom for what they knew/hoped would be a winning formula. Once they had the mechanics down, they could really let loose into creating the Mega Man 2 experience; which, as an 8-bit run-'n'-gun platformer, may be a perfect game, and certainly one of the best on the console.

Then again, Mega Man 3 might be a little better, but that would just be my opinion... it's one of 'em.

SkirmishFrogs.com -- A lighthearted retro gaming community.

NintendoLegend.com -- One retro gamer's quest to play and review every American-released NES game

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:00:03 AM
Zing (23)
Ontario
I've been listening to the music for the first two games and I have to agree that Mega Man 2 does have the better music. I think I was just hooked on Elecman's music.