Official NES Guide List Long time in the making

May 9, 2013 at 6:41:45 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: acidjaguar

Originally posted by: Dain

BTW, I've been modifying the database and search engine to be more non-game friendly for additional categories. I've got a lot done, and here's a glimpse using the first set above:

http://www.nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Search.Resul...

Very nice!  I do like the look of your end result listing with the thumbs.  You wanting to do mostly just game specific guides for the systems? Or looking to incorporate it all like multigame books and the such?

I'm really wanting to as much as we can actually, so as concise as possible is the goal. I invision going to the search, choosing "Guides" from the category drop-down, and then being able to easily generate a collection from those results (using the queue). I'm making some additional changes to the collection tool now to allow the new category searches.

I had to make some additional changes to the database to handle the "All" condition (i.e., for books that cover "All platforms" of a game). I was hesitant to add King's Quest V and Camen San Diego to "NES" because of this, since they're a lot more generic than NES. Once I finish this change, I'll go back and edit those to be just "ALL" platforms instead of just NES.

So hopefully today or tomorrow we'll have the ability to add anything and it will fit nicely. The main search now covers all categories. To see this in action, and how to filter by category, try this search, which is for Might & Magic:

http://www.nintendoage.com/index....

You can reduce the results by platform or (now) by category:

Results were found in more than one category: Games, Guides

Let me know your thoughts... I was having trouble deciding how this would all look and work.

Edited: 05/09/2013 at 06:42 AM by Dain

May 9, 2013 at 7:49:28 AM
MAIL_BAG (151)
(Rip ) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Braveheart69

Also, what about stuff like these?  Note the variant covers for number 2 and 3.

I had that one as a kid! I got mine at Toy's R' Us as well......when I purchased The Karate Kid. It was definetly not a subscription based magazine.

Edited: 05/09/2013 at 07:51 AM by MAIL_BAG

May 9, 2013 at 8:41:53 AM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium

Updated! Thanks Pieter! 

• Added the 4 Player Extra NP Guide

Working on the Game Player's series and should be able to bang that out soon ..... 

BTW, I've been modifying the database and search engine to be more non-game friendly for additional categories. I've got a lot done, and here's a glimpse using the first set above:

Looks great Dain!!

I do have a suggestion in mind for the "ALL" platform condition that you're implementing for multi-platform items.  As some multi-platform items may cover multiple, but not all platforms, what about adding a "MULTI" platform condition for such items? 

For example, this condition could, upon choosing it from the platform dropdown list when editing or adding a new entry in the database, bring up a checklist field for selecting all of the various platforms that the item is intended for.  The various selected platforms would then be displayed in the entry's listing (in the Platform row in alphabetical order) and taken into account for searches, but would not be listed in the search results to save space (i.e. replaced with "MULTI" in the search results' Platform column).  Let me know what you think.  This would be great for not only multi-platform guides, but also for other items such as cleaning kits that are compatible with only a few different platforms. 

May 9, 2013 at 8:52:23 AM
Speedy_NES (158)
Belgium

And a side note to everyone, if you have scans of the game player's guides and / or the encyclopedia ones mentioned a couple posts before this one ... I could use them to save a little time

Here are scans of the volumes 1-3 of the encyclopedia ones, including a volume 1 cover variant.

I also included scans of two Jurassic Park strategy guides that came with Game Player's magazines.  I haven't looked at them in a while, but I remember them being nearly identical in terms of content.  One seems to have been included with the general Game Player's magazine for Nintendo & Sega, and the other with the Nintendos-specific Game Player's magazine.

May 9, 2013 at 9:03:46 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Speedy_NES

Updated! Thanks Pieter! 

Working on the Game Player's series and should be able to bang that out soon ..... 

Looks great Dain!!

I do have a suggestion in mind for the "ALL" platform condition that you're implementing for multi-platform items.  As some multi-platform items may cover multiple, but not all platforms, what about adding a "MULTI" platform condition for such items? 

For example, this condition could, upon choosing it from the platform dropdown list when editing or adding a new entry in the database, bring up a checklist field for selecting all of the various platforms that the item is intended for.  The various selected platforms would then be displayed in the entry's listing (in the Platform row in alphabetical order) and taken into account for searches, but would not be listed in the search results to save space (i.e. replaced with "MULTI" in the search results' Platform column).  Let me know what you think.  This would be great for not only multi-platform guides, but also for other items such as cleaning kits that are compatible with only a few different platforms. 
This is a good idea, but I'm afraid it might be too complicated. I think really from the POV of a collector, we just want to know if something is platform-specific, or specific to more than one platform (in general). I think these super-tedius tendencies are what have really slowed me over the years in developing... I go down the rabbit hole and end up getting frustrated and then sit on it for another year. I think the key here is to get an much into the database as possible that can be found somewhat logically. Agreed?

May 9, 2013 at 9:05:07 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Speaking of which, Speedy, you should send me your accessories list so I can put that in the database. I've created a really nifty bulk-importer for stuff like this!

May 9, 2013 at 9:45:34 AM
Speedy_NES (158)
Belgium

Updated! Thanks Pieter! 

Looks great Dain!!

This is a good idea, but I'm afraid it might be too complicated. I think really from the POV of a collector, we just want to know if something is platform-specific, or specific to more than one platform (in general). I think these super-tedius tendencies are what have really slowed me over the years in developing... I go down the rabbit hole and end up getting frustrated and then sit on it for another year. I think the key here is to get an much into the database as possible that can be found somewhat logically. Agreed?

Agreed -- I was afraid it may be too complicated, but you've done amazing things with the database so I had to ask. Essentially it is something that could always be implemented down the road anyway -- it would be a great asset to completionists who are out to collect every item compatible or marketed for a specific platform, whether platform-specific or not (assuming that once that "ALL" category gets populated with hundreds or thousands of items, it will be hard to sift through them for platform-specific results). 

May 9, 2013 at 9:52:33 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina

Agreed -- I was afraid it may be too complicated, but you've done amazing things with the database so I had to ask. Essentially it is something that could always be implemented down the road anyway -- it would be a great asset to completionists who are out to collect every item compatible or marketed for a specific platform, whether platform-specific or not (assuming that once that "ALL" category gets populated with hundreds or thousands of items, it will be hard to sift through them for platform-specific results). 

I'm going to take the approach (now) of:

1. Get it working
2. Get it in the database
3. Improve it as we go

EDIT: I do think your idea is possible though, and I could see us eventually doing this once we have the initial bases covered.

Edited: 05/09/2013 at 09:53 AM by Dain

May 9, 2013 at 9:58:23 AM
Speedy_NES (158)
Belgium

Speaking of which, Speedy, you should send me your accessories list so I can put that in the database. I've created a really nifty bulk-importer for stuff like this!
PM sent

May 9, 2013 at 8:35:31 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
It's technically multiplatform but you really must have the book Video Game Quest in a set like this somewhere. It's a guide to all the games available and announced as of 1990 or so, tons of NES stuff in there, lots of it unreleased. The only artwork we have for the Bruce Lee game is in there, for instance. It's still cheap too, though knowing these forums I just doomed it to collectibility.

-------------------------

May 9, 2013 at 9:56:59 PM
acidjaguar (668)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana

Very nice!  I do like the look of your end result listing with the thumbs.  You wanting to do mostly just game specific guides for the systems? Or looking to incorporate it all like multigame books and the such?

I'm really wanting to as much as we can actually, so as concise as possible is the goal. I invision going to the search, choosing "Guides" from the category drop-down, and then being able to easily generate a collection from those results (using the queue). I'm making some additional changes to the collection tool now to allow the new category searches.

I had to make some additional changes to the database to handle the "All" condition (i.e., for books that cover "All platforms" of a game). I was hesitant to add King's Quest V and Camen San Diego to "NES" because of this, since they're a lot more generic than NES. Once I finish this change, I'll go back and edit those to be just "ALL" platforms instead of just NES.

So hopefully today or tomorrow we'll have the ability to add anything and it will fit nicely. The main search now covers all categories. To see this in action, and how to filter by category, try this search, which is for Might & Magic:

You can reduce the results by platform or (now) by category:

Results were found in more than one category: Games, Guides

Let me know your thoughts... I was having trouble deciding how this would all look and work.

Just messing around and seeing the multi turns it into a nice little search feature that gets right to the point.  I do like that!  Next level = finding games featured in each multigame guide so you can know which one to get  

I think it's all headed down a great path so we'll keep finding new ones and get them in!  

Updated:
  • Game Player's Encyclopedias
  • Jurassic Park guide & variant

For sale thread located here: click
Wanted to buy: click

Top wants currently: 
Old NES / SNES era newsletters and mailings
Original GB Chinese games (CHN coding on label)

May 10, 2013 at 1:09:56 AM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: TheRedEye

It's technically multiplatform but you really must have the book Video Game Quest in a set like this somewhere. It's a guide to all the games available and announced as of 1990 or so, tons of NES stuff in there, lots of it unreleased. The only artwork we have for the Bruce Lee game is in there, for instance. It's still cheap too, though knowing these forums I just doomed it to collectibility.
Thanks, just ordered

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Jul 26, 2013 at 9:50:24 PM
acidjaguar (668)
Montana
updated with some new cover scans for the Game Player's Encyclopedias. If anyone has scans of the ones pictured a little ways down the first page please let me know!

Also looking for a scan of Volume 7 on the Encyclopedias. Hit me up if you are able to help! Otherwise carry on ......

Top wants currently: 

Nov 8, 2013 at 7:08:56 PM
acidjaguar (668)
Montana
updated! Everything has pictures!

See something that should be on here? Post it up!

Top wants currently: 

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:23:57 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Here are some interesting NES papers that I received from a Wisdom Tree Employee. I am assuming that they were internal use but I am not really sure? I am also not sure if they are complete with all pages or not. See my notes and pictures below.

Wisdom Tree Hint Sheets:
Bible Adventures Hint List (2 Pages)
King of Kings Hint List (3 Pages) (Have Extra Page 2,3) 
Map of David vs Goliath
Hint 4 Jeasus and the Temple Map Level 3
Exodus Hint List (3 Pages)
City Map/Status Menu
Spiritual Warefare (7 or 8 Pages ? Missing Page 5?)
teacher Mode for Bible Buffet (1 Page)

Wisdom Tree Hint Sheets

Wisdom Tree Hint Sheets

Wisdom Tree Hint Sheets

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:13:57 PM
acidjaguar (668)
Montana
bump for a new guide!

Adventures of Lolo 2 by our own member Brian! Awesome guide for sure...

Top wants currently: 

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:49:34 PM
acidjaguar (668)
Montana
Bump for a new update!  New variant acquired for the Consumer Reports Super Strategies guide... check it out!

If anyone has one that is in better condition I'd love to get a scan if you could. PM me

Top wants currently: 

Oct 20, 2014 at 4:25:05 AM
Professor Finn (2)
(Bilbo Baggins) < El Ripper >
Arizona
you're missing The special edition (includes Dr. Mario!) "How to win at Super Mario Bros. Games" cover variant

NES 517/786 | SNES 353/726
VB 13/14N64 290/296  
GC 277/572 |Wii 306/1260?
Wii U 23/198?
Check out my collection: http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:35:45 AM
nintendopower_4_ever (75)

(john smith) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Didn't see this one yet?

Pop & Play Nintendo Game Instructions:

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:59:30 AM
Mr. CIB (67)
< El Ripper >
Florida
bump for a great list