Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Domain registration and web hosting

Mar 08 at 12:55:33 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
So, I've been out of the web development game for awhile now, both professionally and hobby-wise, and am entertaining the idea of jumping back in.  And what better way than building a new site?

Anyone have recommendations for domain registration and hosting services?  I don't really know what my primary needs are (yet), other than probably something cheaper/expecting less traffic.  This is more a labor-of-love kind of thing.  And no shopping, or file transfers, or message boards, or databases, or user accounts or anything.  Just HTML and images for the most part.  At least for now.

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Mar 08 at 12:59:10 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
I can't speak to the current Domain registration options... but if you're just looking to serve static content, I'd host it out of an S3 bucket to save on costs.

Mar 08 at 1:11:13 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Oh, and development software recommendations? Preferably something free that runs lean. Most familiar with Eclipse, but that seems like overkill for simple HTML.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Mar 08 at 1:18:04 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

I can't speak to the current Domain registration options... but if you're just looking to serve static content, I'd host it out of an S3 bucket to save on costs.
Cool.  Now if I was to add more dynamic content in the future, would this solution constrain me?

Mar 08 at 3:27:07 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
I switched from GoDaddy to Namecheap because of GoDaddy's anti net neutrality stance years back. Last year Namecheap totally boned one of my domains somehow, it was down for like 3 days because they screwed something up with their upstream provider related to contact details and got my domain suspended. I'm sure you can find anecdotes about any registrar like that, but there's mine  

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Mar 08 at 3:39:50 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I use AWS for everything. As has been said, a static site can be served through S3 no problem. If you want https you can route through cloudfront. Domain can be pointed right at the bucket, I do that regularly for clients on a budget (practically free).

I do all of this VERY regularly, hit me up if you need anything at all.

As for whether S3 would limit you in future, it really depends on the type of dynamic content. You can host html, css, js, and images on S3. Anything static. If your js pulls from, say, the YouTube api, that is fine - the dynamic bit is handled on their server based on your request.

Once you start using PHP, Java, or another backend language, then you'd want to move to an EC2 instance (typically). You COULD use Lambda or another such tool (also on AWS) to do software as a service while keeping the page that serves content on S3, but you're starting to really split up your application at this point. Not a BAD thing per se, but perhaps a tad difficult to manage if you're not used to a component style of work.

If you let me know what you're looking to do I'm sure I could easily let you know specifics on tools and costs.

Edited: 03/08/2019 at 03:54 PM by Gloves

Mar 08 at 4:13:17 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
I pay $5 a month for my hosting and my domain costs $10 a year. PM me if you want some more info  

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 08 at 4:30:03 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: dra600n

I pay $5 a month for my hosting and my domain costs $10 a year. PM me if you want some more info  

S3 costs less, jus' sayin'.  

Mar 08 at 4:40:59 PM
Hogie1418 (61)
(Rick ) < El Ripper >
California
Originally posted by: Gloves

I will second S3 if you are simply developing a static website.

Mar 08 at 6:09:14 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Sure, but it sounds like he may consider doing things past static HTML, which he'd need to go to EC2. I'm not sure of the costs involved, but for $5 a month, the setup is WAY easier than Amazon's services.

Mar 08 at 6:21:06 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

Sure, but it sounds like he may consider doing things past static HTML, which he'd need to go to EC2. I'm not sure of the costs involved, but for $5 a month, the setup is WAY easier than Amazon's services.

Which service are you using?

Mar 08 at 6:29:59 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Hostineer

ETA: Seems they went up to $10 a month for new registration.

Edited: 03/08/2019 at 06:30 PM by dra600n

Mar 08 at 6:32:49 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

Hostineer

Suddenly EC2 ain't so expensive sounding.

Also I lol'd at "Trusted by over 15,000 people". That's tiiiiiiny.

Of course, there's a ton of such services that offer like $5/mth for the first year, and even plenty of absolutely free services. Frankly I see no reason to go outside of AWS personally, if only for that I know that it is 1) incredibly reliable and 2) can be JUST as cheap as the other options. 

Edited: 03/08/2019 at 06:43 PM by Gloves

Mar 08 at 6:48:42 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Hostineer

Suddenly EC2 ain't so expensive sounding.

Also I lol'd at "Trusted by over 15,000 people". That's tiiiiiiny.

Of course, there's a ton of such services that offer like $5/mth for the first year, and even plenty of absolutely free services. Frankly I see no reason to go outside of AWS personally, if only for that I know that it is 1) incredibly reliable and 2) can be JUST as cheap as the other options. 

Nothing wrong with being a tiny company, Mr. Gatekeeper  

I can see plenty of reasons to not use AWS, but for personal sites and maybe marketplace only sites, it's probably a fine solution.

Mar 08 at 6:52:41 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
EC2 is overkill, Lightsail is a much better service for simple sites, you get all the benefits of EC2 without the unnecessary things you won't use. It's $5 per month instead of paying for uptime on the EC2 servers.

Mar 08 at 7:02:54 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: bootload

EC2 is overkill, Lightsail is a much better service for simple sites, you get all the benefits of EC2 without the unnecessary things you won't use. It's $5 per month instead of paying for uptime on the EC2 servers.

Yup. As I say, plenty of accessible options on AWS.

Mar 08 at 7:11:01 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Thanks guys. And yeah, for sure static in the beginning, with whatever possibilities in the future. Gonna use some tax refund money to finally get a new computer here this month and then I'm gonna charge into this.

Mar 08 at 10:15:48 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
From what I hear you just go with whatever registrars offer $cheap for new customers and jump around every year.

I've used x10hosting.com, they have a free package.

Mar 08 at 10:43:22 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: gunpei

From what I hear you just go with whatever registrars offer $cheap for new customers and jump around every year.

I've used x10hosting.com, they have a free package.

Absolutely do not do this.

Oct 11 at 5:05:01 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Next question...

All my work is just sitting on my local disc. What are good options for online code repositories to "check it into?". Preferably something free... with existing plugins for eclipse. I'm using AWS for hosting... Could I use that somehow?

Edited: 10/11/2019 at 05:06 PM by Brock Landers

Oct 11 at 5:08:48 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Next question...

All my work is just sitting on my local disc. What are good options for online code repositories to "check it into?". Preferably something free... with existing plugins for eclipse. I'm using AWS for hosting... Could I use that somehow?

Gitlab free account? I've been using one for years and I have tons loaded into it. I recall there's an eclipse plugin.

Your EC2 instance will be able to get it to it just fine if it has a NAT gateway configured; otherwise you may need to wrangle a bit to do checkouts locally on the instance. 

Edited: 10/11/2019 at 05:09 PM by barrels

Oct 11 at 5:13:18 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: barrels

Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Next question...

Gitlab free account? I've been using one for years and I have tons loaded into it. I recall there's an eclipse plugin.

Your EC2 instance will be able to get it to it just fine if it has a NAT gateway configured; otherwise you may need to wrangle a bit to do checkouts locally on the instance. 

I would suggest GitHub over GitLab, but it's really a personal preference thing. 

Oct 11 at 5:27:05 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
^ yeah I'm the opposite. Personal preference indeed. Admittedly, I've never gone too deep with the extra CI/CD or other functionality.

Oct 11 at 10:16:38 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
I was using Subversion for a code repository but this year I switched my whole team to Github and it's way better. It has more options and has more plugins for all other software I use.
I also switched to Visual Studio Code for a development environment, it automatically updates (optional) as you type so I never need to do anything in order to test. I simply stop typing, it saves and uploads on its own.

Oct 11 at 10:34:09 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Funny, I'm used to subversion, but I just spend the last hour figuring out github. Seems like everything is setup and my commits from the workspace are pushing through so I think I'm good to go. Thanks guys.