Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What is this? Opened up a Sega Master game I got today to clean it and...

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:21:26 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
Hey guys! I got this copy of Choplifter recently, and I went to open it up and give it a nice cleaning before testing it... and I found this:

The board takes up the entire insides of the game, and the back has no label and different screws. It works fine, and so far I haven't noticed anything unusual about the gameplay. I had a friend translate the text on the stickers on the chips, and it says "Choplifter 0" and "Choplifter 1"

What is this? Is this a proto?

Edited: 10/12/2012 at 10:21 PM by Armageddon Potato

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:36:15 AM
Phins (68)
(-P Z T-) < Kraid Killer >
Utah
Well that's odd.

-------------------------
We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists.
And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home.
Our Heaven, and our Hell.
This, is Outer Heaven.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:25:24 AM
snescentral (0)
(Evan Gowan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Japan
I don't know how it was with Sega games, but there are commercially NES games that were on EPROMs.

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:07:47 AM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
This a pretty big stretch, but I'm guessing that maybe the cart had a manufacturing defect and someone sent it back to SEGA to get it serviced? I dunno.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:58:06 AM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Wow, if that board takes up the whole inside, how small would they normally be?! I know nothing about the SMS. Probably the only system I dont have anything for.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:51:30 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
California
I asked DreamTR, and he said, "It's one of those SAMPLE STORE DEMO only games, but the sticker that says that is missing so it's a proto by definition."

That blank back space was supposed to have the store only demo sticker. I actually found the box it came in, and the box just has a sticker on it that says, "Choplifter - Sega", and the back of the box has what looks to be an advertisement for the game. I'll post a picture of the box when I get a chance.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:04:38 PM
standigz (1)

(Chaz Gidnats) < El Ripper >
New Jersey
just an observation, but did SMS carts use philips head screws? That one has them, is that normal?

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:04:35 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Yes, it's normal. Every SMS game I've owned has phillips screws.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:49:51 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
California
Ok, I finally got some times for some pics:

The manuals look very different from the copies I own, and they even have extra pages and such. One page has a rabbit called "Professor Playor", and he gives you some gameplay tips. I don't know if these manuals are a variant/different region, or they are actually prototype manuals?

The front of each box has a torn excerpt from some kind of catalog guide for Sega(these being Choplifter and Fantasy Zone.) The underside of the advertisements on the front of the boxes both talk about Black Belt, and what it's going to be like when it comes out.

Lastly the game cartridge labels aren't slick, and are more like ancient printer paper. They are very rough feeling. Maybe they were even cut out and glued on by hand?

I need to pop these in and play them, see if anything interesting comes up!