Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Question regarding selling large collections. Looking for reasonable estimates on price changes.

Oct 02 at 9:36:22 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Ok, I know a lot of people have asked the question, "how should I sell my large collection"?  I know the answers-- each piece one at a time yields better results, use GVN to price them and, of course reduce the prices if you need quicker sales.  For quicker sales, bundle like titles together and the larger the lot, the buyer will expect a better deal. Don't sell everything in one BIG lot, unless you expect to lose significant value.

Of course, there are other variations, however, I'm wondering if any of you guys who've sold a ton of games can give some general insight.  If we start with the base price of a collection and consider the collections value it's total price from GVN, as a percent, how much can you expect to loose if you bundle 3-5 games together, 20 games together, entire sizable collections (100+ games) with systems, controllers, peripherals, etc. in one lot, and just one mega lot with many systems.

Basically what I'd like to know is does anyone have any reasonable metrics on what one can expect to lose as they increase the size and nature of their lots. There are other questions that could be asked too.  For instance, we could start comparing BIN vs. Auctions.  BIN numbers are hard to get "perfect" and also largely depend on how long you are willing to wait before your inventory sales.  If you guys can provide any solid percentage metrics, I'll try to create a matrix and post it here.  Any info will help.

-------------------------
Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Oct 02 at 9:36:52 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Saved. I'll put my matrix here, if I get enough data that makes it worth while.

Oct 02 at 1:47:54 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia

Oct 02 at 3:03:06 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
There's also the completeness and desirability factor to add a bit more.

While selling in a lump would get you a discount, selling an entire complete set should get you a premium.

Also you'll likely get a higher percentage price for nice condition complete items. For example, if you had a loose 1000 game lot, you may expect 50% of retail as a lump sale. If it's 1000 complete games, maybe you'll get closer to 70-80% in a bulk sale since those are still appreciating in value.

Oct 02 at 3:03:27 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina

Excellent.  I think that's a good starting point.  I'll try to nit-pick that forum when I get a chance and create a "One formula to rule them all", on how to gauge realistic selling points, based off of quantities, lot sizes and how quick you'd like to move your items.

Oct 02 at 3:06:43 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

While selling in a lump would get you a discount, selling an entire complete set should get you a premium.

Also you'll likely get a higher percentage price for nice condition complete items. For example, if you had a loose 1000 game lot, you may expect 50% of retail as a lump sale. If it's 1000 complete games, maybe you'll get closer to 70-80% in a bulk sale since those are still appreciating in value.

Really?  I'd assume it wouldn't make a difference and if it did, it'd be the opposite.  My thoughts being, 1,000 loose games vs. 1,000 complete games would probably mean that the complete games would go for less as a percentage, because even though people like CIB items, they are also out of the price range of many collectors.

I guess a good determining factor is "number of loose collectors vs. CIB collectors" over "Number of available loose copies vs. Number of available CIB copies".

Oct 02 at 3:59:03 PM
Mr. CIB (67)
< El Ripper >
Florida
Originally posted by: rlh

Really?  I'd assume it wouldn't make a difference and if it did, it'd be the opposite.  My thoughts being, 1,000 loose games vs. 1,000 complete games would probably mean that the complete games would go for less as a percentage, because even though people like CIB items, they are also out of the price range of many collectors.

I guess a good determining factor is "number of loose collectors vs. CIB collectors" over "Number of available loose copies vs. Number of available CIB copies".

A lot of 1000 CIB games will yield a far higher percent to retail value than loose. The estimate of 70-80% is accurate. Also, he's right if it's a complete set it will yield a higher premium IMO.... of course condition will play a factor. But all the value is in the quality of the paper now.

Oct 02 at 4:16:49 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

I think a lot of it depends on the type of buyer you're attracting. Loose collectors are more numerous, but by the nature of collecting CIB, those dudes might have more money to flash, at least in regards to the hobby. Either they're all in on collecting or they're also intent on flipping the stuff they don't need. They may have even got the capital from past flips and are looking to continue it.

Edited: 10/02/2019 at 04:17 PM by Tulpa

Oct 05 at 5:48:37 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

Loose is a dying market for anything semi-common and below.