Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Zelda: Links Awakening for GB Is there a possible bug or glitch I don't know about?

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:07:32 AM
JohnnyPhantom (118)
(John k Arpin) < Lolo Lord >
Rhode Island
Hey Everyone,
Bit of a story here, I'll make it short, about a week or so ago I purchased the 2 Zelda games for the Gameboy Color (Ages & Origins) got them both for $10. but the Origins labels was kinda ruined. 

BUT! Luckily I found this auction on ebay...

Which gave me a new case shell! and 2 copies (with different variant labels) of Zelda: Links Awaking for the original Game Boy (I also have the GBC DX version as well).

Thinking that I could fix those 2 Zelda games and that I wanted a better label I won the auction.

I just got the item in yesterday and tested. BOTH Zelda games do the EXACT same thing.
The intro plays, you get the press start screen, and then all the back ground disappears and you have just the sprites. The game does not freeze, you can move the name selector sprite around, and if you select a game or a new game, the game continues with just sprites, no backgrounds. Pretty neat in a way.

Using my trusty Game Boy Mega Memory device, I backed up the games saved data, and erased the save files. This fixed both carts!! Now each game plays perfectly. To test a theory out, If I then restore the backed up corrupted game save, the exact problem returns.

Now, I could understand if one cart had this problem, but they both did, is there a glitch that a former owner could have done on both carts to cause this? What do you guys think?

~John

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:11:29 AM
Luke00016 (32)
(Luke Elser) < Meka Chicken >
West Virginia
They may be bad carts, but they may have been glitched.

The first run of Link's Awakening was buggy, you could 'screen jump' and go into areas that are off the map and/or non-existent. This could be harmless, but worst case people were reporting partially deleted/corrupted game data and complete wipes of the ROM.

You could also mess with the save data by turning off the system when you were deleting one of your save slots and people reported that this could delete the actual ROM as well.

You may have copies that had this done to it.

-------------------------
  Building a CIB NES collection.  Currently at 109 CIB!  PM me with CIBs you have for sale!

Check out my FS/WTB thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:13:56 AM
JohnnyPhantom (118)
(John k Arpin) < Lolo Lord >
Rhode Island
Hmm possible, but with the game saves erased both work perfectly. I don't think that the games ROMs have been damaged. (assuming you mean ROM as in the place where the game is actually stored, not the save data)

Nov 16, 2011 at 10:54:35 AM
gwyndion (322)
(Cookie Monster) < King Solomon >
California
Wow, that's so weird! Now I understand how that Zelda TAS Video was done...

If anyone is LOOKING for certain repro/homebrews, I have a running repro company thread going as well as a lot of extras myself which include Limited Editions as well.  I'm also free to help answer questions and point people in the right direction so never hesitate to ask!  Here is the current list of repro companies.  Please let me know if I need to update it:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:23:48 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Building off Luke's post there I know of another A grade progression stopper bug in the game, notated by Nintendo in the day on the original run too where 1 in 10 carts were toast. I had one of them. I think it's the face shrine, been so long I forget, but it was a later one. Anyway one of the rooms the key never will drop, doesn't matter if you clear it, cheat on the room skip bug as you can't because of the type of room(direction needed to skip can't be done), and it will always chirp for a key and it won't drop. I never was able to finish the game until years later when I got the GBC title.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:25:01 PM
DxS (150)
(Renegade Space Ninja) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
Corrupt save data is definitely the problem. I have around 10 cartridges that did the same thing, and disconnecting the batteries fixed them.
DX has the same problem, it happened to me on my last playthrough. I didn't do anything unusual before powering the Game Boy down for the last time.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:30:30 PM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I had the DX version as a kid, and I somehow managed to fuck it up to the point where my save was corrupted (I always started in Tal Tal Heights, regardless of where I saved, all my items were Roc's Feathers, My character was invisible unless you jump to see the shadow, and I lost all of my instruments).. I have no idea how that happened, and I don't remember glitching it at all. A similar thing happened with Pokemon Blue after about a week of completely abusing the missingno rare candy glitch.

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:55:58 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
... Just in case somebody reading this gets the wrong idea, it's impossible to wipe/erase/clear a Mask ROM. They are fabricated at the factory to permanently hold that specific data.

Very interesting thread I must say, never heard of being able to seriously bork the save data in a Link's Awakening cart. Is there a way to identify a copy to tell which revision it is?

Come to think of it, I probably have Link's Awakening DX...