Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Turbografx 16 CD Cards What cards do what.

Aug 15 at 7:21:47 PM
Chevmatic (9)
(Dalton Van Hook) < Little Mac >
Washington
Does anyone know if there is some master list that states what TG16 and PCE CD cards do what? I know there is the standard card, the Super System card, and an Arcade card, I know the Arcade card was never released in America becasue no American games used it, but I am really curious what games need what cards as well as if the japanese versions will work in a TG16 or if I need a PCE. My biggest drive for this is wanting to work towards getting Rondo of Blood.

-------------------------
If you aint first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Aug 15 at 10:45:16 PM
Sxsgaming (5)

< Crack Trooper >
Tennessee
If you have a pc engine turbo duo-r it already has the super system card built into it and you can play rondo just fine

Aug 16 at 10:52:38 AM
Kid Dracula (92)
(AP ) < Lolo Lord >
Nova Scotia
I would also suggest to get a PC Engine Duo, Duo R or Duo RX that has all the system cards built into the console (minus the Arcade Card). Rondo of Blood needs the Super System Card 3.0 which the Duo has.

The Arcade Card supports only 12 games (most notably Sapphire). The Super System Card 3.0 plays the games released in "Super CD-ROM" and "CD-ROM". System Card 2.0 plays CD-ROM format. The original System Card is needed to make Altered Beast work properly. Also specific games will display funny messages and pictures when you use an outdated System Card. Rondo of Blood actually boots up a mini-game when you use Card 2.0 or 1.0 that's kind of fun!

Aug 16 at 11:22:45 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I used to have a spreadsheet that covered everything.  I'll have to see if I can find it.

But your best best is a Duo R with an arcade card and Everdrive.  It will allow you to play the largest % of the library with the minimal amount of stuff to buy.  Out of the box, the Duo R will play all Japanese Hu Cards, and all region CD-ROM2 and Super CD-ROM2 games.  The arcade card will obviously add Arcade CD-ROM2 games to the option list.  And the Everdrive will add US Hu Card games as well (only the ROMs, not the actual cards - that would require a region mod).  

With the 3 things I listed above, the only games you would be missing would be Super Grafx Hu card games (a total of 5 games), and LD-ROM2 games (a total of 11 which can only be played on ONE super expensive piece of equipment).  No major loss there.  

Another fairly new option would be to get a Japanese PC Engire, or either of the Core Grafx models along with a Super SD System 3.  This would give you all of the above listed types of games.  However, that metod only uses ROMs and disc images to play the games.  The only physical games that setup will play are Japanese Hu Cards.  

-------------------------

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."