Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA beat every Game Boy game in a year? - 2019 USA: 190/497: 38.23% -- PAL: 14/69: 20.29%

Jan 07 at 4:22:14 PM
Ferret Oxide (0)
< Crack Trooper >
England
Road Rash is done.

I like this port, but I'm sure I didn't struggle with it so much when I've played it in the past. The lack of a brake can mean some collisions are unavoidable. Still, it is a decent racer, and I enjoyed most of my time with it.

Jan 07 at 6:02:41 PM
beatthegameboy (0)
< Little Mac >
Washington
Originally posted by: Ferret Oxide

Road Rash is done.

I like this port, but I'm sure I didn't struggle with it so much when I've played it in the past. The lack of a brake can mean some collisions are unavoidable. Still, it is a decent racer, and I enjoyed most of my time with it.
Nice! You're banging through them man. Always was curious about Road Rash. Never had it on anything as a kid.

Jan 07 at 11:43:09 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
I love Road Rash on GB. It has plenty of quirks, but I love how full-featured it is, for being a GB game. They didn't just make a motorcycle game and call it Road Rash. It's definitely a Road Rash game.

Jan 08 at 11:22:18 AM
Floating Platforms (0)
< Little Mac >
Illinois
I can finally join in on the fun. Caesars Palace is completed!

If you want a realistic gambling experience, this is the one for you. There were multiple times where I was up over $100K on the way to $140K and hit a massive bad luck streak on the blackjack table and lost it all. I saw that someone on the NA forums found a roulette wheel sequence you could jump into, but that doesn't work on the Game Boy version. I even played around with the emulator and rom saving the state on the roulette wheel after placing my bet and the spin changed every time. This version seems like pure chance and the odds are in the house's favor.

To win, I started off by taking my $1000 to the $500 slots and kept trying that until I hit a line worth $5K or more. Then instead of going to blackjack, I went to the wheel of fortune area, mostly betting on the 2:1 odds spot. Every $100 you bet turns into $300 because you double the cash and get your bet back. The max bet of $10K turns into $30K and that adds up quick. Plus, the 2:1 hits pretty frequently. So, it's faster than blackjack and has better odds without any computer BS hits. I also took a big chance on a 40:1 spot and got very lucky. Overall, I sunk over 11 hours into it, but my winning run took less than an hour before I got that "red" car and a $141,000 check.

I also almost beat NFL Quarterback Club last night. It's a very short game, but tough. I lost the tournament twice by less than 5 points. Hopefully I'll knock that one out on my next session.

-------------------------
Collecting every US Original Gameboy game - Currently 237/510
Collecting every non-kids Philips CDi game - Currently 42/126

Catch me on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/floatingpla...

Edited: 01/08/2019 at 11:42 AM by Floating Platforms

Jan 08 at 12:24:14 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: Floating Platforms

If you want a realistic gambling experience, this is the one for you. There were multiple times where I was up over $100K on the way to $140K and hit a massive bad luck streak on the blackjack table and lost it all. I saw that someone on the NA forums found a roulette wheel sequence you could jump into, but that doesn't work on the Game Boy version. I even played around with the emulator and rom saving the state on the roulette wheel after placing my bet and the spin changed every time. This version seems like pure chance and the odds are in the house's favor.

To win, I started off by taking my $1000 to the $500 slots and kept trying that until I hit a line worth $5K or more. Then instead of going to blackjack, I went to the wheel of fortune area, mostly betting on the 2:1 odds spot. Every $100 you bet turns into $300 because you double the cash and get your bet back. The max bet of $10K turns into $30K and that adds up quick. Plus, the 2:1 hits pretty frequently. So, it's faster than blackjack and has better odds without any computer BS hits. I also took a big chance on a 40:1 spot and got very lucky. Overall, I sunk over 11 hours into it, but my winning run took less than an hour before I got that "red" car and a $141,000 check.

Unbelievable. We should make a GB Game compendium thread to pool together our collective knowledge and experience on how to beat each game. This is gold. I've tried to beat CP many times and always went bankrupt. I guess I just needed to spend 11 hours on it   Very well done!

Jan 08 at 1:26:15 PM
beatthegameboy (0)
< Little Mac >
Washington

I also almost beat NFL Quarterback Club last night. It's a very short game, but tough. I lost the tournament twice by less than 5 points. Hopefully I'll knock that one out on my next session.

Just wanted to say a huge congrats on this one. I've been playing it off and on since it came out and never quite got the 140k. Nice work!

Jan 08 at 3:08:05 PM
Ferret Oxide (0)
< Crack Trooper >
England
Congratulations, Floating Platforms.

Jan 08 at 8:07:37 PM
Floating Platforms (0)
< Little Mac >
Illinois
Thanks, everyone! Now I feel like it's more of an accomplishment than I thought. I will say that 10 of those 11 hours was spent trying the slots and blackjack route until I got frustrated and short on time and tried the wheel in desperation.
I'm all for a compendium type of thing for game guidance. Sometimes gamefaqs doesn't tell the whole story. I try to watch some VODs of people that are doing the gameboy quest, but even that doesn't always help if they didn't touch it or didn't use the same requirements we're using. I'm happy to help however would work best.

Jan 08 at 8:14:52 PM
beatthegameboy (0)
< Little Mac >
Washington

Thanks, everyone! Now I feel like it's more of an accomplishment than I thought. I will say that 10 of those 11 hours was spent trying the slots and blackjack route until I got frustrated and short on time and tried the wheel in desperation.
I'm all for a compendium type of thing for game guidance. Sometimes gamefaqs doesn't tell the whole story. I try to watch some VODs of people that are doing the gameboy quest, but even that doesn't always help if they didn't touch it or didn't use the same requirements we're using. I'm happy to help however would work best.
As someone slowly working through all the games, I'll be making use of your tips for sure. Thanks again  

Jan 08 at 9:03:26 PM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas

Beat Super Mario land 3: Wario Land.
This was my first time playing it. I had a ton of fun with this one. I beat all 40 levels and got all treasures but fell a bit short of 99,999. Bummer.

Ive been working on Urban Strike since I picked up the game 2 days ago. I made it to the Mexico level

Edited: 01/08/2019 at 09:58 PM by acromite53

Jan 08 at 10:46:53 PM
Floating Platforms (0)
< Little Mac >
Illinois
I've only beaten Wario Land once, as a kid. I've always wondered how hard it would be to get the highest $$ value.

Crazy coincidence on Urban Strike. I just ordered Desert Strike and hope to play that soon. I have Jungle and Urban, but not the first in the series. I hear they're good on Genesis, at least.

Jan 08 at 10:51:58 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Nice! Urban, Desert, and Jungle have never been beaten, any of them, on NA. Maybe I should add a column on the leaderboard for first-time clears.

Jan 09 at 3:32:23 AM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
I love Urban strike. I've beaten the Genesis version once.The Genesis version is the absolute best. The Snes port is horribly sluggish and slow. The gameboy version plays better! Didn't realize these games were on gameboy till a few days ago.

beat the Vs Com mode on Tetris Attack on normal difficulty. Kamek is the final boss on normal and Bowser is only on Hard mode

Edited: 01/09/2019 at 03:33 AM by acromite53

Jan 09 at 10:40:51 AM
Floating Platforms (0)
< Little Mac >
Illinois
NFL Quarterback Club is done. Surprisingly hard on Medium, at least for me. There are 4 events total and that's all there is to the game. There are two accuracy challenges which aren't too bad. The obstacle course takes practice and a bit of luck and the distance challenge I couldn't get a handle on. That part is a button masher and either my knock off SNES controller isn't well suited for it, or I'm old enough that my reflexes suck. Could only manage about 20-30 out of 60 points.

Brought to you by the same team as NBA All-Star Challenge, LJN and Beam Software. I think if you really wanted to make things easier, you could control multiple guys. You can pick 1 player, but then it gives the option of playing as up to 6 different QBs. That would take the CPU pressure off. I played it straight and it was much harder than the NBA challenge.

After 4 events, I (playing as Steve Young) wound up tying for first overall at 309, which surprisingly meant going into a playoff round. That was just repeating the first event again in full. I dominated the CPU on that one and our round scores were added to the original final scores, which is why in the image we're both so much higher than the rest.

Edited: 01/09/2019 at 10:41 AM by Floating Platforms

Jan 09 at 2:19:36 PM
Ferret Oxide (0)
< Crack Trooper >
England
Less impressive than Floating Platforms' efforts, but I have beaten Barbie.

Jan 09 at 2:45:18 PM
Ferret Oxide (0)
< Crack Trooper >
England
Pac Man is also done!

Jan 09 at 2:57:06 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Nice!

I'm almost done with Kirby's Dream Land 2, I need to go back and find a couple more rainbow drops to get the good ending. I'm still plugging away at Krusty's Fun House. I honestly can't decide if it's a good game or not. And I need to stop starting new games until I'm done with the others.

I beat Tesserae. It's got super weird, un-intuitive rules, but it's a good puzzle game if you can figure it out. Lots of good moments of staring at the board and pondering deep. The FAQ on GameFAQs was written by me   The ending is... uh, charming.

Jan 09 at 3:33:21 PM
Ferret Oxide (0)
< Crack Trooper >
England
Nicely done.

I've given up on Super Kick Off for now. I have more chance of scoring in a convent than on that game.

I should have a few more games arrive this weekend, though.

Jan 09 at 4:40:29 PM
Floating Platforms (0)
< Little Mac >
Illinois

Someone had to do it. The real question is did you beat it this early in the year because you didn't want anyone else to take that glory away from you?

Splain, I disagree that you need to stop starting new games until you're done with others.  Especially with puzzle games, sometimes it's thinking about other things that causes the much needed break through.

Jan 09 at 5:38:12 PM
Ferret Oxide (0)
< Crack Trooper >
England

Someone had to do it. The real question is did you beat it this early in the year because you didn't want anyone else to take that glory away from you?

Splain, I disagree that you need to stop starting new games until you're done with others.  Especially with puzzle games, sometimes it's thinking about other things that causes the much needed break through.

Haha, yeah, I had my eye on that prize from the start of the year.

Jan 09 at 5:55:19 PM
beatthegameboy (0)
< Little Mac >
Washington
Ultima Runes of Virtue is half way there. Game is way different than I expected, but honestly kinda fun. It is longer than I thought though :\ May need to pick up a shorter game along with it to keep me going.

Jan 09 at 6:06:48 PM
MrPeaPod (0)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
Solomon's Club is complete. I'm not sure if I'm beating some of these levels the intended way. Some of the jumps over flames or from a block over a gap with another block over your head are incredibly frustrating. I still love the game and all the games in the solomons series

Check out my game collection here:
https://collection.gamevaluenow.c...

Jan 10 at 2:20:42 AM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
AAHH! I've been putting hours into Kirby Pinball Land these past few days. Hours! I got to Dedede for the first time tonight and got a game over in that battle. NOO! This game is so frustrating. It is so difficult with all the randomness. I feel I may have gotten a bit better though.

Edited: 01/10/2019 at 02:24 AM by acromite53

Jan 10 at 2:24:08 AM
acromite53 (21)
(Evan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas

Well hey, at least I beat Urban Strike

Jan 10 at 1:50:00 PM
Ferret Oxide (0)
< Crack Trooper >
England
My copy of Race Days arrived today. Is the 4x4 game basically Jeep Jamboree?