Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What are some of the most underrated NES Games in your opinion??

May 5, 2010 at 4:26:58 AM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
I hope so to lol! I hope I dont recommend a game you think is crap

May 5, 2010 at 2:41:38 PM
Kickle (1)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Some Guy) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: jdheins

Just played Punisher for the first time today, after picking up a copy local, this game rocks. I hope the whole game is fun, and there aren't any let-downs. Also hope Cabal is just as good as this.

Almost bought that on LukieGames, but their prices go from good deal one day to overpriced the next.

-------------------------

Most Recent NES pick-ups: Battleship, Cliffhanger, The Great Waldo Search, Kid Niki: Radical Ninja, The Krion Conquest (CIB), RoboCop, Xexyz

May 9, 2010 at 4:11:13 AM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Heres a link to Cabal video for ya jd.. along with just about any other nes game you might want to see..

http://www.youtube.com/user/nesgu...

May 9, 2010 at 9:27:12 AM
Kickle (1)
United States
Originally posted by: chadalleman

Heres a link to Cabal video for ya jd.. along with just about any other nes game you might want to see..

http://www.youtube.com/user/nesgu...

Or... http://nesguide.com/games/cabal... The site kills a lot of my time.

Most Recent NES pick-ups: Battleship, Cliffhanger, The Great Waldo Search, Kid Niki: Radical Ninja, The Krion Conquest (CIB), RoboCop, Xexyz

May 9, 2010 at 2:48:43 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Agreed. lol

May 9, 2010 at 6:40:27 PM
bucky (0)
(Roy Scheider) < Little Mac >
Pennsylvania
These aren't games that are exactly 'underrated', as I don't really hear people speaking much ill of them. They're just a tad less popular I guess...

Fire 'n Ice (aka Solomon's Key II) is my favorite NES puzzle game, easily. The Nintendo Age guy is based on Dana right?

Gimmick! is one of my favorite 'jump 'n run' platformers, alongside the Mario games even. It provides an amazing challenge, has some of the best graphics for the system... and is simply brilliant. Lots of unique sprites with distinct characteristics, and the gameplay is so refined that it asks the player to learn to game to its limits. There are many moments where you're like "I have to do THAT?", it's great. It's the type of difficulty that feels very intentional and clever (something like Mega Man 9), as opposed to something that feels hard and cheap (Ghosts 'n Goblins). I can't believe it was only made by 4 people, 2 of whom only did music.

May 9, 2010 at 9:27:07 PM
bucky (0)
(Roy Scheider) < Little Mac >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Kickle

I second Felix the Cat. I kinda like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom... no, wait, ZOMBIE NATION!

I like the zombie nation music a lot! It's very weird and... different. In a good way!
The game itself was always too hard for me though.

May 9, 2010 at 9:48:01 PM
Dinoellis (58)
(Dino Ellis) < Lolo Lord >
California
Wow I didn't know the mascot was based off that. That's tight. I always thought he was Link or something...

May 9, 2010 at 11:22:46 PM
Mr.Nintendo (383)
(el- rocko) < King Solomon >
Alaska
1943 beat 1942 hands down , it doesn't lag like 42.

Gameboy Pirates "IS" My Thing

DONATE ALL SMB/DH CARTS TO PMA

DONATE ALL JURASSIC PARK CARTS TO KEVBOT  NOW ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

May 10, 2010 at 7:29:04 AM
ulasamosa (280)
(James Ulizza) < Bowser >
Ohio
I just beat Kirby's Adventure & Mutant Virus the other day. I had never plyed through either and enjoyed them both. Mutat Virus is one of those games with very little ingeniuity, but still came out decent.

May 10, 2010 at 2:11:39 PM
Melirune (0)
(Anthony Dutchak) < Little Mac >
Ontario
I would say Spy vs Spy. It is an epic 2 player game

May 10, 2010 at 6:40:15 PM
Mr.Nintendo (383)
(el- rocko) < King Solomon >
Alaska
almost anything with spy in the title has been good. maybe they'll make a SPY Girls next, ha ha Voyeur game. Spy vs spy, spy hunter. nothing better.

Gameboy Pirates "IS" My Thing

DONATE ALL SMB/DH CARTS TO PMA

DONATE ALL JURASSIC PARK CARTS TO KEVBOT  NOW ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

May 15, 2010 at 7:00:13 PM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
I know most people seem to hate these games (especially the difficulty) but I personally love the first two NES Simpsons games.

Also, I think Zelda 2's graphics are quite underrated.

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

May 16, 2010 at 8:55:45 AM
Kickle (1)
United States
Originally posted by: Estil

I know most people seem to hate these games (especially the difficulty) but I personally love the first two NES Simpsons games.

Am I the only one here who prefers Zelda 2 over the first? Oh, and,

May 17, 2010 at 10:03:48 AM
Maydogg6 (49)
(Assy McGee) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Originally posted by: Kickle

Originally posted by: Estil

Am I the only one here who prefers Zelda 2 over the first? Oh, and,

No, there's plenty of people who agree with you and it's been the subject of a few threads.

As far as the Simpson's games go, for me the difficulty wasn't all that high, but they were just a little on the poorly executed side. Sloppy controls hurt more than anything.

"I will beat you like a drum."

May 17, 2010 at 11:22:46 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Someone said in an earlier post.... I think it was wizard, that every nes game is good to someone out there..... Well i counter that statement with action 52.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

May 27, 2010 at 12:34:29 AM
Elijah (161)
(John (JD) Heins) < Wiz's Mom >
Iowa
^Action 52, and skunky beer, what more could you ask for?

Selling everything.
-------> *Click Here* <--------

God loves everyone

May 27, 2010 at 12:35:46 AM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Pro Sport Hockey needs added, that's what I dug this up to begin with. Game kicks ass for a NES sports game.

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

May 27, 2010 at 1:10:30 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Originally posted by: quest4nes

Someone said in an earlier post.... I think it was wizard, that every nes game is good to someone out there..... Well i counter that statement with action 52.

Actually, some of the games on Action 52 are quite fun.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

May 27, 2010 at 1:14:14 AM
Elijah (161)
Iowa
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Originally posted by: quest4nes

Actually, some of the games on Action 52 are quite fun.

And, enough beer will make any game seem fun!

Selling everything.

God loves everyone

May 27, 2010 at 1:15:55 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Enough beer can make any woman desirable as well...but that doesn't mean you won't feel dirty in the morning

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

May 27, 2010 at 1:17:09 AM
SasoriVader (58)
(Shatter Hand) < El Ripper >
Philippines
Wow, finally someone who appreciates Action 52. I've played all 52 and the only games on it I could beat were Bubblegum Rosy and Streemerz >_<

These are some of my favorites:
Ninja Kid (ive heard some people hating on it, it's awesome)
Captain Comic (yeah, I like Color Dreams)
Master Chu and the Drunken Hu
Silver Surfer (ive actually beaten this game, it's really fun once you memorize it)

Edited: 05/27/2010 at 01:17 AM by SasoriVader

May 27, 2010 at 1:30:40 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Captain Comic and Master Chu are two of CD's best! Silver Surfer is pretty sweet but it's hard as fuck (I suck at shooters). People seem to hate some of my personal faves pretty hard...

Superman - Should've been titled SD Superman, but whatever. People hate on the controls, but it's not so bad once you get used to how jumping works. Pretty easy to beat after that's figured out, it's easy to get lost but it's such a small world that you find your way eventually.
Conan - I know exactly why people hate this, but for some reason I still enjoy the shit out of it. Also, I'm one of a very small number of people who has beaten it legit (no Game Genie or other cheats, finished on my NES console with no outside aid). Once you get used to how it works, it's not so bad.
Wizardry: The Knight of Diamonds - One of my faves from childhood (well, teenager-hood anyway). I was always into RPGs, but when I snagged this one I couldn't stop playing it. Considering I finished it multiple times without any sort of outside aid (didn't get the internet until '04, and I got the mail-in guide in '08), it says something about the time I've spent in it. Hell, I can navigate almost the entire game without even looking at the maps I made (which I've kept since I got the game in '95 or '96). Just a full-on masterpiece.
The Punisher - Most people write it off simply based on LJN's name on it, but it's probably the single best comic-to-game adaptation until at least the 16 bit era. It's true to it's source material and a fun game all around. Also helps that it's tough as balls until you've played it to death...the Kingpin is one of the most difficult bosses I've ever faced in ANY game, period. That said, I've gotten good enough to rack up many more lives than I actually require to kill his ass
Dr. Chaos - A recent addition to the list, I played it through a couple months back and absolutely loved the game. It's just hard enough, and just open-ended enough, and just fun enough to keep you entertained. The hard part is finding which paths to take in which order, but it's not too tough to figure out - if you're too weak for a given tunnel, or can't pass a certain point, you need something from elsewhere in the game in order to advance. Plus the intro screen is EPIC! Not the best game ever, but it's got it's charm and definitely worth playing through.

May 27, 2010 at 6:35:25 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Superman - Should've been titled SD Superman, but whatever. People hate on the controls, but it's not so bad once you get used to how jumping works. Pretty easy to beat after that's figured out, it's easy to get lost but it's such a small world that you find your way eventually.

I want to have your babies!
Superman is one of my favorite games on the NES. I absolutely love it!

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

May 27, 2010 at 6:36:46 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
That's gotta be the first time someone said they wanted to have my babies...well, the first time a female said it anyway