Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Is Shantae for Gameboy Color really worth 160+ dollars?

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:21:31 PM
Blue Ember (59)
(Jesse Thorn) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Originally posted by: jonebone

Originally posted by: Blue Ember

I kinda doubt this game will drop too much in price due to the fact it's a great game, it's hard to find and it's always been pretty damn expensive. I really can't remember the last time someone was willing to let it go for under $100.
It's Gameboy Color though. How many threads are in the WTB forum for "WTB GBC Sealed / Complete games!".  It's been re-released as a downloadble game too, so gamers can get their fix there.  Right now all of the value is coming from hoarders / speculators and a few collectors.

GBC is highly volatile in general, Metal Gear Solid GBC CIB can go for $100-$120 as a BIN and yet auction off in the $50-$60 range sometimes.  Shantae just gets all the hype and all of the attention so people keep trying to boost the price.  It won't last forever though, mark my words.

I agree that people are definitely trying to boost the price. They are doing it with everything not just shantae, look at all the NES games that keep skyrocketing that are worth no where near what people are getting. So I definitely agree that right now it is higher than it should be, but the fact that the game has hovered in the $100 price range for so long tells me that collectability is high and it isn't going to fade out quickly. I just predict the game will probably sink back down to the $100 range and that's where it will stay.

-------------------------

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:16:48 PM
smokinjoe24 (147)
(P Fen) < Bowser >
United States
I was selling these for $140-150 a couple years ago because it was before I moved into this house and I have lived here 2 years in October. I don't really see a price hike.

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:17:17 AM
Game Core (52)
(Paul Truitt) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
I sold one at Too Many Games for 130.00 and it went in the first few hours quickly

Too Many Games 16
June 24-26th 2016 ( NOT FATHERS DAY WEEKEND )
http://toomanygames.com/gamer/NA

Bands, Vendor Room, Descendents Of Erdrick, Panels, AVGN, Super Best Friends Play, Vinesauce, Keith Apicary, Giveaways ETC

Edited: 06/25/2012 at 10:17 AM by Game Core

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:18:49 AM
Game Core (52)
(Paul Truitt) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: VideoGamesIzFun

Originally posted by: GardenBeast

i'm weird like that. even if it's worth a bunch, i can't part with something. like my action 52. it's terrible, and it came in a giant box of games for dirt cheap... but i can't sell it.

it's crazy what shantae is worth, though. it's not that rare is it?

It is the rarest GBC game...  Cart only is ~$80  I thought.  Maybe $160 for super minty CIB.  Maybe it's just going up in general as it's hard to find

try 300+ for a minty CIB

Too Many Games 16
June 24-26th 2016 ( NOT FATHERS DAY WEEKEND )
http://toomanygames.com/gamer/NA

Bands, Vendor Room, Descendents Of Erdrick, Panels, AVGN, Super Best Friends Play, Vinesauce, Keith Apicary, Giveaways ETC

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:31:01 AM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Does minty mean < mint? And if that's true, doesn't that render it not mint?

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:45:57 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: wrk

Does minty mean < mint? And if that's true, doesn't that render it not mint?

Mint hasn't meant mint for some time. Depending on the seller any one of these could be in better shape than a Mint copy

GEM MINT
Cherry (mostly using in arcade game circles)
Prestine

If you really mean mint then you have to use all caps
MINT>mint

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:02:56 PM
wrk (69)
(Adolf Oliver Bush) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
What about super MINTY?

https://www.prodigydisc.com/...