Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Joust Contest ends Sunday, 6/9/13 at 10 PM NA time

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:39:32 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Originally posted by: EgasKrad

Here are a few things I found out from this week's contest so far:

1) I still am not a fan of roms.
2) If I do play another rom, I should either pay more than $6 on Ebay for a NES style usb controler so maybe the buttons won't be so stiff or buy it more than a few days ahead of time so it can be broken in.
3) I'm much better at the 7800 version of this game.
4) The Pterodactyls can go to hell.
5) If there are games with more cheap deaths than this one, I have yet to play those.

Anyway, this will probably be my max for the week since I plan on practicing Ice Climber the remainder of the week. I actually have that cartridge unlike this week's, so I'm looking forward to that more, though I'm not too good at that either.

I got a usb nes controller on ebay a few years ago for $10 and it works great. I use it for all the games I don't own. I highly recommend a nes usb controller for anyone playing with an emu.

I'd recommend the Retro-bit NES adapter that way you can play an actual NES controller with the emulator. It's cheap and works great.

I've honestly never really played Joust before so I'm a bit puzzled on why two enemies could be lined up and I beat the first guy and the enemy right after him beats me. Is there a technique or something I'm missing?

I'm basically just pressing A as fast as possible and trying to hit them hard.

Edited: 06/05/2013 at 07:44 PM by Shane

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:39:38 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Battle of the highest,my friend....battle of the highest. Spent lots of quarters on this game back in the day....

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:03:11 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States

Battle of the highest,my friend....battle of the highest. Spent lots of quarters on this game back in the day....

Ah I see so smack em in the head?

Jun 5, 2013 at 9:47:06 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Shane

Highest lance wins,so definitely get higher than your enemies.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:00:29 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

Highest lance wins,so definitely get higher than your enemies.

Yep, highest lance wins. You want to have your lance be closer to theirs without falling under so that you can grab their eggs before they touch the ground (bonus points). You don't have to be charging at them to grab the eggs immediately. As long as there is some movement toward you or them, you're fine. You can "Mario pounce" on them if you like. If you hit them just right, you'll grab the egg as well, but in most cases the eggs will likely go flying into the lava or on a platform.

Jun 5, 2013 at 11:49:05 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin

Originally posted by: EgasKrad

Here are a few things I found out from this week's contest so far:

1) I still am not a fan of roms.
2) If I do play another rom, I should either pay more than $6 on Ebay for a NES style usb controler so maybe the buttons won't be so stiff or buy it more than a few days ahead of time so it can be broken in.
3) I'm much better at the 7800 version of this game.
4) The Pterodactyls can go to hell.
5) If there are games with more cheap deaths than this one, I have yet to play those.

Anyway, this will probably be my max for the week since I plan on practicing Ice Climber the remainder of the week. I actually have that cartridge unlike this week's, so I'm looking forward to that more, though I'm not too good at that either.

I got a usb nes controller on ebay a few years ago for $10 and it works great. I use it for all the games I don't own. I highly recommend a nes usb controller for anyone playing with an emu.

I'd recommend the Retro-bit NES adapter that way you can play an actual NES controller with the emulator. It's cheap and works great.

I've honestly never really played Joust before so I'm a bit puzzled on why two enemies could be lined up and I beat the first guy and the enemy right after him beats me. Is there a technique or something I'm missing?

I'm basically just pressing A as fast as possible and trying to hit them hard.
I'll have to look into the adaptor in the future, though the controller is getting a bit better now (I decided to play a few more games of this, but my score didn't improve, damn Pterodactyls).  I just wanted to say as well I was just getting frustrated last night and needed to vent a little, so I hope I didn't sound too whinny, but damn, you can go from 4 lives to 0 within seconds and that just sets me off when that happens. 

Also, to reiterate what others have said, to destroy the enemies, your lance must be higher, but as I suggest to those who are new at it, it may be better to start by flying over them and landing on them before going head to head, to get a feel for the game and its controls.

One more thing, to go back to my 7800 comment, for me, it was easier with that controller, since the joystick seemed to be more fluid with the game, though my hand would get sore from that version because of the side button.  Of course, if I was playing this with a regular NES controller, it may be different, but its getting better more constantly. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:00:07 AM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Never tried this game until today. Got around 30,000 on my third try and 60,000 after about 30 minutes of playing. The only thing that really bugs me about this game is that the pterodactyl can spawn right on top of you when you're near the edge of the screen, and you can respawn directly under an enemy. Makes for some very cheap deaths. The controls were really tough to get used to, and I'm still not comfortable with how much inertia you have when flying.

-------------------------

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:22:44 AM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia
As much as I hate the Pterodactyls, I LOVE to see them drown in the lava.

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:03:51 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I should amend my statement earlier,it's not highest lance wins but highest person wins as you can be killed by being lower than the enemy even if they are facing away from you. In my opinion,the biggest challenge is just simply controlling your ostrich. It's like it was fed a big bag of cocaine right before the competition and it's your job to keep him from literally bouncing all over the place. And yes,ptery is a big pain although I killed him once inadvertently by facing away from him and turning towards him at the last second. He died a painful death,and there was much rejoicing.

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:04:08 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Score updated!

Mid-week score!

Edited: 06/09/2013 at 09:52 PM by guillavoie

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:10:08 AM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

He died a painful death,and there was much rejoicing.
(crowd goes "yaaaaay" while waving flags)

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:02:19 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: rdrunner

He died a painful death,and there was much rejoicing.
(crowd goes "yaaaaay" while waving flags)

Exactly. I'll post a score when I feel that it's a decent total. And does anyone else think the song at the title screen does not fit the game at all? Everytime I hear it,it reminds me of something I'd hear out of the Popeye game.

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:29:48 PM
UPN (0)

< Little Mac >
United States

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:54:57 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I've seen less bounce in a pinball machine. Seriously,I have no freaking clue why this game is so bouncy. Maybe it was originally supposed to be a pinball game? Either way I wanted to get at least 100k before I posted a score,but several cheap deaths prevented me from that. I will agree with everyone about the cheapness....Joust is definitely a cheap death grand champion.

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:21:39 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
My personal goal for the week was to break 150k, but it looks like it's going to take 300k+ to win. I may just have to hope my current score lands me in the top 5.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:11:11 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Updated my score. I was sitting on it for a while, hoping that I would get to 300,000, but it didn't work out that way.

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:42:20 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

This guy is good. Check it out!

Curious as to what system he's playing that on.

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:46:57 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I was wondering the same thing. The video says "Joust NES", but the title screen says Atari and it's obviously not the NES version.

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:00:54 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I was wondering the same thing. The video says "Joust NES", but the title screen says Atari and it's obviously not the NES version.

I was watching a youtube video showing a lot of the different versions of the game and it said the one in the video Tom posted was the NES version. If there maybe an unlicensed version or something? Similar to the way it is with Tetris?

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:15:38 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I was watching a youtube video showing a lot of the different versions of the game and it said the one in the video Tom posted was the NES version. If there maybe an unlicensed version or something? Similar to the way it is with Tetris?

The comments on the video seem to be in Spanish so maybe it's a version from another region. It also appears that he's playing on an emulator so it could be a hack or something considering the previous comments that he seems to be flying at an abnormally fast rate.

Edited: 06/07/2013 at 07:17 PM by bearcat-doug

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:20:17 PM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia

Well, I can't be positive if it is indeed the Famicom dump of the rom, but I just googled, downloaded, and played "Joust (J)" and it has the same bubbly, black box styled title screen as the video. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:25:13 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

The comments on the video seem to be in Spanish so maybe it's a version from another region. It also appears that he's playing on an emulator so it could be a hack or something considering the previous comments that he seems to be flying at an abnormally fast rate.

I noticed that too. Since it looks graphically better,I figured that maybe it was from the SNES or something. Eh whatever.

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:55:49 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
My score has been updated to 89,250. I thought I had enough of this game, but its become addicting, in a train wreck sort of way.

Edited: 06/07/2013 at 09:56 PM by EgasKrad

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:57:26 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Wow, it gives you a picture of how crazy it gets when there's only shadow warriors around. I don't know if there's a reason why he stops the video after round 50?

There's only shadow lords from Wave 41 on, so there really isn't anything new to show beyond that. As far as I know, the game doesn't have an ending. Once you pass Wave 99 it goes to A0-A9, then B0 and so on. I don't know if the game has a kill screen or not since I quit at Wave B1 last night, but my guess is that it just keeps going.

Edited: 06/08/2013 at 10:09 AM by bearcat-doug

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:40:16 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
I can finally concede that this is a good game, which I always suspected (how could ostrich-jousting be lame?). Last time we played it I just could not get into it because it was my first time and the learning curve is very steep.

Basically I have found I play best when I am patient before going in for the kill. The B button helps a lot too. Will post my (relatively low) score later and hopefully I can find some time to top it.

You guys (and gal) are doing really good!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^