Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How to use Scoreboard & Update AVS firmware Scoreboard software downloads, How to use & FAQs

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:24:11 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia

For problems with uploading scores from the AVS, if you are getting errors, or have other issues with the AVS or the software, please e-mail retroUSB support. [email protected]

Please help keep this thread clean. This is here for help and questions, not for general conversion. Thanks!

Quick access download links:

Scoreboard software
Current -Mac v1.12:
http://retrousb.com/downloads/Sco...
Can also try 1.13 buggy version:

Windows v1.12:

Windows v1.14beta 

Official AVS firmware final version v1.30:
http://retrousb.com/downloads/AVS...
Note: You may need to right click the link and "save as" or "save link as" in order to download the file.

Firmware changelog:

--------

Beta firmware v1.120b7 - May have bugs

Beta firmware v1.120b8 - May have bugs

--------

The Basics

Scoreboard is an online leaderboard system here on NintendoAge. You can access the scoreboards by going to “Menu” in the top right corner and selecting “Scoreboard”, or follow this link:

http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

The AVS is capable of uploading your game’s score to the online scoreboard system. Play a game on your AVS, upload your score, and see how you rank!

Getting Started

A few things are needed to use the AVS with Scoreboard:
-AVS console and a TV/monitor to play it on
-NintendoAge account
-Computer/laptop with internet connection
-Scoreboard software - PC and Mac compatible (see above for download link)

Download the scoreboard software and unzip “Scoreboard.exe” to a location you’ll remember so you can find later.

Run Scoreboard.exe to begin.

Scoreboard software

There are three main tabs within the Scoreboard software: Summary, Login details, Console details

The first time you run the program, or if you want to change users, you will need to navigate to the “Login details” tab. Here you will see a box labeled “keys”. The key is generated on NintendoAge. You can follow the link within the program or follow this link for your key:

Once your key is entered in the box the software will automatically connect to the NintendoAge server. Your user name and avatar will be displayed on the Summary tab once connected.

Getting your AVS ready to play

Your AVS should already be connected to a TV or monitor, and your game of choice should be in the console. Make sure you have “Menu buttons” set within the AVS and are familiar with how to return to the AVS menu screen by using them while playing a game.

Next plug your AVS into your computer’s USB port and power the console on. The Scoreboard software will automatically connect to the console. The Console details tab will show a green icon indicating that the console and program are connected.

Inside the AVS - Using the Scoreboard menu option

One of the five options on the AVS main menu screen is Scoreboard, inside this screen there are a few selections to choose from:

-Play a Game First - This is not not selectable, it’s telling you to play a game first!

-View Friends List - Shows the latest scores uploaded by your friends.
Your friends list is managed here on NintendoAge: http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

-View Top Scores - This shows you the top scores for the current game in your console.

Protip: It is best to view top scores before you play. This will ensure the game you are playing is supported. If not, please e-mail retroUSB support!

Playing the game and submitting your score

You are now ready to play the game! Go to Start Cart and start your game. If you are playing on a PowerPak or other flash cart please see section below. If you are playing on a real cart then game on!

Your goal while playing is simple, get as high of a score as you can! Once you are finished with your game press your menu button combo (default setting is Select+A+B), and you will be returned to the AVS menu.

See this thread here for specific information on the best time to exit and submit your score:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

After you exit the game select the Scoreboard menu option and then “Submit score”. The AVS will send the game information to the computer software which will verify the game and then submit your score to the online server. Once the upload process is completed you will be shown the current high scores and where your score ranked overall.

Playing with the PowerPak / other flash carts

The process for playing on a PowerPak or other flash carts is the same as standard game carts, with one small difference. After you “start cart” for the first time you will still need to select and load your game.

After you load the game and it boots for the first time you will need to exit to the AVS menu by using the menu button combo. At this point it’s best check and make sure your ROM is good and supported. You can do this by going to the Scoreboard menu option, and “View Top Scores”. If your ROM is good you will be shown the current high score list.

You can now “start cart” and begin playing. Submit your score works the same as if you were playing on a standard cart

Updating the firmware on your AVS

-Start by download the latest firmware update from retroUSB, this is also linked above.
-Connect your AVS to your computer.
-Open up the Scoreboard software and power on your AVS.
-Once the console connects with the program go to Transfer > Upgrade firmware.
-Select the AVS firmware BIN file you just downloaded and the AVS will begin updating.

It should complete in a few minutes or less depending on your computer.

Tips

-Make sure your computer will stay on the full length of time you are playing. Turn off any power saving mode you might have on such as sleep or hibernation.

-Always check to see if your game is supported before you play. Do this by going to “View top scores” in the Scoreboard AVS menu option.

-A clean game is a happy game! Use alcohol and qtips!

Edited: 10/28/2018 at 09:31 AM by Mog

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:24:19 PM
Mog (140)
FAQ coming soon!

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:03:42 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Scoreboard is opening and immediately exiting for me in OSX 10.11.6 (15G1004)

Is troubleshooting this something I should reach out to RetroUSB support for? Thanks!

Edited: 09/11/2016 at 01:23 PM by barrels

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:51:14 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Everdrive N8 resets back to the menu every time. Will this cause issues with Scoreboard?

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:42:41 AM
tpm1999 (1)
(Asdf Man) < Tourian Tourist >
Missouri
Scoreboard also immediately closes (no error) for me on mac also. osx 10.11.6

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:12:35 AM
ginoscope (20)
(Gino R.) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
I am on mac osx 10.10 and scoreboard closes upon startup with no errors as well.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:10:44 PM
lokkenjawnz (1)

(lokkenjawnz lokkenjawnz) < Cherub >
California
Is there any possibility of a linux Scoreboard application? Or maybe an open source version, so someone can try to port it?

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:44:56 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: lokkenjawnz

Is there any possibility of a linux Scoreboard application? Or maybe an open source version, so someone can try to port it?

Have you tried running the Windows application through Wine?

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:55:04 PM
Mog (140)
Originally posted by: ginoscope

I am on mac osx 10.10 and scoreboard closes upon startup with no errors as well.

Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

Scoreboard is opening and immediately exiting for me in OSX 10.11.6 (15G1004)

Is troubleshooting this something I should reach out to RetroUSB support for? Thanks!

Originally posted by: tpm1999

Scoreboard also immediately closes (no error) for me on mac also. osx 10.11.6

Looking into this now. Will have fix soon!

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:50:40 PM
Mog (140)
Originally posted by: Mog

For problems with uploading scores from the AVS, if you are getting errors, or have other issues with the AVS or the software, please e-mail retroUSB support. [email protected]

We are working on the current issue with Mac's.

Please use the e-mail address for any additional error reporting.

The main intention of this thread is for help using, submitting, or questions regarding the Scoreboard with AVS. Not for error reporting.

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:32:54 PM
lokkenjawnz (1)

(lokkenjawnz lokkenjawnz) < Cherub >
California
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Originally posted by: lokkenjawnz

Have you tried running the Windows application through Wine?

Not yet, I was just wondering if there'd be a native version of it, as that's usually much easier to use, especially with something that connects to a peripheral. Plus open source stuff just makes you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside  

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:37:43 AM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Is there any way to search the high scores by game?

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:16:53 AM
Mog (140)
Originally posted by: the tall guy

Is there any way to search the high scores by game?

This page lists each game and its high score, you can use the search box on the top to find games or re-sort the list by title and view them in a-z order

Edited: 09/15/2016 at 07:17 AM by Mog

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:16:05 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
I noticed there's a new firmware update "v1.20b1", is there a fix/changelist for these new firmware updates? That would be helpful. When I got my AVS I heard that we would need a day-one patch to fix a sound issue. But the patch that was available was v1.10 and my system already had that firmware.

*edit - Just installed, it's a beta firmware for the Palette option.

Also as a suggestion, might want to update the post for latest firmware, or just link to the downloads index. Cheers

Edited: 09/16/2016 at 12:49 PM by NESMASTER14

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:33:14 PM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
Probably the palette options. I'll update and report back.

edit: Yep, confirmed. The new firmware (link) adds the options in the video options menu for various palettes. Take that, Analogue.

Keep in mind this firmware update is still listed as beta, so it's not considered the official new firmware yet.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Edited: 09/16/2016 at 12:48 PM by KHAN Games

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:10:14 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I went to submit a score from Gradius and got the following notification: "Game changed between playing and submitting." Does that mean I waited too long to go back to the AVS menu? I went back to the AVS menu on the title screen after game over. The game list says I can submit a score any time before starting a new game.

I'm also using an N8 Everdrive. If I go to the AVS screen while playing a game, when I return to the N8 it goes back to the ROM list or resets the game completely, depending on which option I have enabled. Hope that doesn't have anything to do with the issue.

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:54:38 PM
Mog (140)
Originally posted by: ookii_risu

I went to submit a score from Gradius and got the following notification: "Game changed between playing and submitting." Does that mean I waited too long to go back to the AVS menu? I went back to the AVS menu on the title screen after game over. The game list says I can submit a score any time before starting a new game.

I'm also using an N8 Everdrive. If I go to the AVS screen while playing a game, when I return to the N8 it goes back to the ROM list or resets the game completely, depending on which option I have enabled. Hope that doesn't have anything to do with the issue.

You are getting that error becuase you are loading the game from the everdrive menu, and not exiting back to the AVS menu before you play.

Once you "start cart" on the AVS menu it keeps track of what was booted. In your case it was the everdrive.

When you submit score it checks to see what game was booted into (everdrive) and what game is being checked for score (Gradius). They are different so you get the "game changed error".

You need to boot into the game directly from the AVS menu in order for scoreboard to work.

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:16:17 PM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

Originally posted by: ookii_risu

You are getting that error becuase you are loading the game from the everdrive menu, and not exiting back to the AVS menu before you play.

Once you "start cart" on the AVS menu it keeps track of what was booted. In your case it was the everdrive.

When you submit score it checks to see what game was booted into (everdrive) and what game is being checked for score (Gradius). They are different so you get the "game changed error".

You need to boot into the game directly from the AVS menu in order for scoreboard to work.

I was able to submit the score this time, thanks for the explanation!

FYI for others who have an Everdrive: You don't have to enable "Reset to game" in the OS options for it to work (which I'm glad for). As long as you do as Mog said it will work, even though if you don't enable "Reset to game" you still have to select the ROM again from the list after leaving the AVS menu.

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:19:51 PM
dfreichert (0)
(David Reichert) < Cherub >
Maryland
I tried the new firmware, and now my audio is "clicking". It goes up and down and makes clicking sounds. Anyone else experiencing this? I know its beta, but just wondering. Also, can I "downgrade" the firmware without bricking the AVS?

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:39:47 PM
Mog (140)
Originally posted by: dfreichert

Also, can I "downgrade" the firmware without bricking the AVS?

Yes.

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:01:38 PM
dfreichert (0)
(David Reichert) < Cherub >
Maryland

Originally posted by: dfreichert

Also, can I "downgrade" the firmware without bricking the AVS?

Yes.

My "downgrade" was sucessful and I no longer experience audio clicking.  The games I played were Marble Madness and Super Mario Bros 2.  Let me know if you need anymore data.

Edited: 09/16/2016 at 10:02 PM by dfreichert

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:09:29 AM
Benihana (154)
(Don't Stop Believin!) < Master Higgins >
Washington
Originally posted by: demanufacturedmario

I don't know if it will be implemented, but is there a way to use the vintage site to access the scoreboards?
No it is not.
Get used to the new nintendoage because we are all slowly being forced to conform 

My Biggest Fear is...She Sells my Games for the Amount I told her I paid for them.

Vintage.Nintendoage.com for LIFE!

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:07:51 PM
Polioliolio (24)
< Crack Trooper >
Ohio
Just wanted to second the audio crackling in 1.120b1 and rolling back to 1.10 solved it.

Also want to mention that hitting reset on the console does NOT reset the scoreboard app's timer.
Had to go back to menu to force that. Not sure if that makes a difference in anything.

Edited: 09/17/2016 at 03:15 PM by Polioliolio

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:57:55 PM
MannyCa1avera (0)
< Cherub >
Alabama
I also experienced the audio "clicking" with the beta and have heard it reported by others, so you'e not alone in that.  The beta also "broke" Castlevania 3.  When the first level begins, I get that garbled mess frequent with many clone consoles.  What's bizzare though is that Akumajō Densetsu works perfectly fine.  I'm sure better informed people than I can explain why it would effect one and not the other, but rolling back to 1.10 resolved everything.

I'm gonna miss those palletes until 1.2 goes live.   

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:50:17 PM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
I probably shouldn't have posted the link to the beta firmware. Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up.