Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

GB: Avenging Spirit NOE & Killer Tomatoes NOE

Jun 02 at 8:20:23 AM
Jauffre (0)

< Cherub >
Got in contact with someone who's willing to sell his copies of both Avenging Spirit  ($1000, very mint, CIB but no registration cards) and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes ($unknown, very mint, CIB), both the NOE (PAL) versions. There is just so little information (historic sales, topics, trades, ..) for these games. I could find two recent ebay sales for Avenging NOE, and currently there's one up for $2.8k, but no way that's the actual value. Killer Tomatoes NOE isn't even listed, it's just USA only.

I recently got into the hobby of GB collecting, so I haven't followed the scene the last years, and Google/NA/GVN/PriceCharting barely have any info on these PAL games, I've only learned they are "super rare", especially Avenging Spirit. I could find a thread from 2015 where someone said: "a good copy can go for $700-$900", but times change, and so do the prices (especially for GB I noticed).

How rare and valuable are these games actually? Should I pay the premium price, or should I pass (with the change of not finding them again for months/years)?

Edited: 06/02/2019 at 12:05 PM by Jauffre

Jun 02 at 3:29:22 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Damn its a tough call I dont really know the PAL market specifically but for Avenging Spirit it comes down to the reg cards too. Cause you would drop 1000 for that perfect box but still not get it complete, and even if you look out for a lesser condition copy in the future that includes the reg cards, youd still have to pony up to get it to get the cards then have to sell it back, not to mention devote time to finding it again. A 2015 quote of 7-900 is a good sign that youd still be safe at 1000 in very mint shape, unless the reg cards are heavily factored into that value.

-------------------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Jun 02 at 6:16:28 PM
jvoss (10)
< Crack Trooper >
California
GB Pal Market is not that easy to get the prices correct. is the AS is rare not any more rare then TW. a price of 3000 without grading is crazy.. the seller that listed the 3000 AS on eBay is fairly new and with only 149 feedback is shackey at best. You should find the history of the game before doping that kind of money. To be frank the one listed on ebay is missing a few other items and the color of paper is questionable at best. do the homework talk to a few other cib collectors. best practices: if it is too good it usely is to good to be real. btw i'm not a cib collector..

just my to pennies

Even Dough Boy gets lucky.

1100 gb/c out of 5099 documented games.  15% done.

Jun 02 at 6:24:23 PM
Jauffre (0)

< Cherub >
@Krunch Exactly. For me, it's not that much of an issue though, but I always try to factor in the sale/trade value when buying. It's actually not just a registration card, it's also the import leaflet. The copy offered to me has a green "Notice Francaise" sticker on the back (so it's the FAH import version), but that notice is missing too. A reg card can sometimes be swapped from a different game from the same publisher, but the notice is custom for this game, so it's obviously incomplete (which makes it a lot harder to trade/sell later on).

@jvoss I don’t think it’s missing anything, I’ve only seen AS with the reg card, and sometimes the extra leaflet for import. What do you think is missing? About the color of the paper, you think it’s maybe a fake?? Also, what is TW, i’m fairly new to the scene  

Here is a listing showing the reg card and the import leaflet: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-...

I know there are some PAL GB CIB collectors around here, so I hope someone will see this thread!

Edited: 06/02/2019 at 06:31 PM by Jauffre

Jun 02 at 10:24:55 PM
jvoss (10)
< Crack Trooper >
California
as for your understanding of a CIB the only thing require in a CIB is the Cart,Instruction and Box. the reg card, system warning, poster, Nintendo power card and even the plastic/cardboard tray can be missing and still be call a cib.

tw=trip world

Jun 02 at 10:30:41 PM
jvoss (10)
< Crack Trooper >
California
Originally posted by: jvoss

as for your understanding of a CIB the only thing require in a CIB is the Cart,Instruction and Box. the reg card, system warning, poster, Nintendo power card and even the plastic/cardboard tray can be missing and still be call a cib.

tw=trip world

additionly the color is off on the booklet, the insert has a copier line on the side and the big sticker on the back puts me on my toes for this one.  but that is just me two pennies worth.

Edited: 06/02/2019 at 11:07 PM by jvoss

Jun 03 at 2:41:00 AM
Jauffre (0)

< Cherub >
Ah Trip World, of course. The game I missed in a $20 cart only lot because I didn't recognize it back then :'(

Well, the copy offered to me has the same sticker on the back, it's probably what publishers of low print run games did to handle imports (cheaper than full translations). There's a SCN (Scandinavia) copy floating around too afaik. Thanks for your input though, I'm going to ask the guy for some back stories on the two copies offered to me!

Jun 05 at 12:25:58 PM
Marijn (12)

(Marijn Schellart) < Crack Trooper >
Netherlands

GB Pal Market is not that easy to get the prices correct. is the AS is rare not any more rare then TW. a price of 3000 without grading is crazy.. the seller that listed the 3000 AS on eBay is fairly new and with only 149 feedback is shackey at best. You should find the history of the game before doping that kind of money. To be frank the one listed on ebay is missing a few other items and the color of paper is questionable at best. do the homework talk to a few other cib collectors. best practices: if it is too good it usely is to good to be real. btw i'm not a cib collector..

just my to pennies

Would have been nice to do some fact checking before discrediting someones Ebay account, who has been an Ebay member for 19 years and a long time member of Nintendoage and other forums: aka Me.
I might not have a huge feedback score but all 149 are 5 star. I am not a reseller or dealer just a collector of many years (or I was...). 
As for the game it is all original. If you wanted to reprint the manual you would need high res scans, and they can't be found. You say it is missing some parts? I like to know what please.
As for rarity you see far more copies of trip world as of Avenging spirit.
As for the sticker that says "notice francaise'' (French manual in English), this was not uncommon in Europe where games that where only released in one country were also sold across the border in neighbouring countries. As most French people did not speak German, or German people did not speak Dutch etc. a simple printed manual and a sticker would be added. Nintendo would not print any full manuals for other countries.
You see the same with NES games (mostly FRG coded with French printed manual). Or for example Turtles Tournament Fighters was realeased with an extra printed manual in Dutch in the Netherlands.
But even in SNES times this was done. I had a German sunset riders with a sticker that said Dutch manual included, and a simple printed manual extra in the box.
As to address your isssue with the printed manual which you call a copier line; remember that this was a simple print in 1991. Prints weren't that clean at the time. And even the translation was probably done by someone associated with the import of these games.
As for price like you say just try and value a game as rare, nice and complete as this one. You have to start somewhere.

Jun 06 at 8:22:36 AM
Jauffre (0)

< Cherub >
Hi Marijn, thanks for the clarification. You kind of confirmed my thoughts, about the added manual. The copy offered to me is missing the manual though, but it's in the same mint condition, so.. it's kind of hard to value.

Since you are/were a collector from Europe, do you have some info on NOE Killer Tomatoes? How rare are these copies? Did you ever have/see one? There is no info at all for this game (NOE version at least)..

Jun 06 at 9:22:59 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Jauffre

Got in contact with someone who's willing to sell his copies of both Avenging Spirit  ($1000, very mint, CIB but no registration cards) and Attack of the Killer Tomatoes ($unknown, very mint, CIB), both the NOE (PAL) versions. There is just so little information (historic sales, topics, trades, ..) for these games. I could find two recent ebay sales for Avenging NOE, and currently there's one up for $2.8k, but no way that's the actual value. Killer Tomatoes NOE isn't even listed, it's just USA only.

I recently got into the hobby of GB collecting, so I haven't followed the scene the last years, and Google/NA/GVN/PriceCharting barely have any info on these PAL games, I've only learned they are "super rare", especially Avenging Spirit. I could find a thread from 2015 where someone said: "a good copy can go for $700-$900", but times change, and so do the prices (especially for GB I noticed).

How rare and valuable are these games actually? Should I pay the premium price, or should I pass (with the change of not finding them again for months/years)?

that's totally up to you.   For my money obscure is not what I'd want to pony up for.    I don't see the long term value there, but I could be wrong and wish both the buyer and the seller good luck in their collecting.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 06/06/2019 at 09:24 AM by Bronty

Jun 06 at 10:21:03 AM
Marijn (12)

(Marijn Schellart) < Crack Trooper >
Netherlands

Hi Marijn, thanks for the clarification. You kind of confirmed my thoughts, about the added manual. The copy offered to me is missing the manual though, but it's in the same mint condition, so.. it's kind of hard to value.

Since you are/were a collector from Europe, do you have some info on NOE Killer Tomatoes? How rare are these copies? Did you ever have/see one? There is no info at all for this game (NOE version at least)..

No problem at all. I can't recall ever having seen a NOE killer tomatoes. But I really haven't paid much attention to all variants since I didn't mind a gameboy game being US or another code.

Jun 06 at 9:37:15 PM
Tyree_Cooper (37)
< Meka Chicken >
Other

tw=trip world

CIB means Complete In Box, so if it's missing anything that came with it originally, it's not CIB.

my trade list

Jun 25 at 3:17:42 PM
Stino (0)

< Cherub >

Hi Jauffre,

Being a European gameboy classic collector myself, I can only confirm Killer Tomatoes and Avenging Spirit NOE are both in the top 3 of rarest European gameboy games.
I happen to own both of them :-p
Avenging Spirit I owned twice, and saw it in the hands of another collector on two occasions. In 2016 I sold one of them for 1800 USD on Ebay.
Killer Tomatoes however, I have only encountered once, bought it and always kept it in my collection. Don't know anyone else who currently owns it.

Edited: 06/25/2019 at 03:18 PM by Stino

Jun 26 at 5:24:10 AM
Jauffre (0)

< Cherub >
Originally posted by: Stino

Hi Jauffre,

Being a European gameboy classic collector myself, I can only confirm Killer Tomatoes and Avenging Spirit NOE are both in the top 3 of rarest European gameboy games.
I happen to own both of them :-p
Avenging Spirit I owned twice, and saw it in the hands of another collector on two occasions. In 2016 I sold one of them for 1800 USD on Ebay.
Killer Tomatoes however, I have only encountered once, bought it and always kept it in my collection. Don't know anyone else who currently owns it.

Hi Stino, thanks for the reply. 

Really, you'd rank them as top 3 for both? I've only been collecting a couple of months, so there isn't that much personal experience with rarity, but aren't games like Beethoven, Lingo and Bamse much more rare? I've seen the loose cart for Avenging NOE a lot both on eBay and local listings, same for Trip World. But never seen Killer Tomatoes NOE before, not even the loose cart.

Actually, the games weren't offered to me personally, it was just a local listing (Netherlands, Marktplaats) but I tried to obscure that since it would draw more bidders to the ad. I can safely tell now, since the listing has ended haha. Also, do you happen to come from Holland, and is your first name only a couple of letters away from 'Stino'? 

The listing was actually a box 'from the attic' with 43 CIB's. I stopped bidding at €2000, but the last time i checked/asked it was €2200 I believe, but I have no idea what it eventually sold for. Here are some pics of the box (just look at those games, and the seller had no idea.. ) and some of Killer Tomatoes (pristine):

Edited: 06/26/2019 at 07:45 AM by Jauffre