Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Holy Hell for BluRay discs

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:31:10 PM
!damage! (71)
(Dane .) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155090/highcapacity_bluray_di...

400gb discs!?!?!

that'd make for one gigantic beautiful video game

-------------------------
Dibin: I'm here for tits.

Edited: 12/07/2008 at 07:20 PM by !damage!

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:37:37 PM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Damn that is amazing.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:11:18 PM
i2a2n2 (39)
(Ian B.) < Kraid Killer >
Ontario
SO GTA 3 was on say a 9 gb disc 400gb's I can only imagine actually I can't even imagine how big the map would be lol all of the continental USA?

My NWC High Score 661 950  Jan 19th 2010

---------Wanted: SNES PROTOTYPES !!! PM Me-----------

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:17:24 PM
stoutguru (46)
(John Hicks) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
400gb = Great Game

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:26:17 PM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
Correction: 400gb = more space
more space =/= better game

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:30:27 PM
stoutguru (46)
(John Hicks) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Yes, thats true burdger

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:34:52 PM
Quack (68)
(Quack Quack) < King Solomon >
Florida
And it's BLU-RAY....drop the E

Mr Penguin O4 (9:01:18 PM): Quackenguin
SnappleSTG (9:01:28 PM): Pengenbush

Swing by my YouTube channel for a visit, and sub up while you're there! :)

Dec 8, 2008 at 1:35:56 AM
PhilCee11 (31)
(Phil Cee) < Meka Chicken >
United States
do you really think a game is going to come out and use all that space though?!? I don't want to come off mean but Ps3 people always point out the Blu-Ray capac. and whats the point if that space is not going to be used.

yayy! I gots an avatar! yayy!

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:05:19 AM
!damage! (71)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: PhilCee11

do you really think a game is going to come out and use all that space though?!?

yes, yes I do

storage capacity has always been a problem ever since they first started programming video games

needing to remove certain parts of the game (characters, background, a sound, etc) so everything will fit onto the disc or cartridge

with 400 gigs of space, the possibilities are damn near endless, I couldn't even fathom what could be done with a PS3 game being able to store 400 gigs of game data, it's mind boggling

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:21:51 AM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
(Gimmick, Mr.) < King Solomon >
Connecticut

I dunno, space limitations oftentimes force the developers to filter out the crap so that only the best aspects of a game make it in. Without limitations, we could see developers become more careless. Just a thought.

I'm not a huge fan of modern games as it is, but with 400 gigs of space I cant even comprehend the type of games that would come out of it. I fear games are becoming more of an interactive movie, than something separate from relality completely. I hope that if they do use the space, they make something like a grand scale RPG with multiple paths and endings, or something with a very high replay value. And please God no more First Person Shoters, theres too many of them already!  

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:58:02 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: !damage!

Originally posted by: PhilCee11

do you really think a game is going to come out and use all that space though?!?

yes, yes I do

storage capacity has always been a problem ever since they first started programming video games

needing to remove certain parts of the game (characters, background, a sound, etc) so everything will fit onto the disc or cartridge

with 400 gigs of space, the possibilities are damn near endless, I couldn't even fathom what could be done with a PS3 game being able to store 400 gigs of game data, it's mind boggling

Are you a programmer, or do you have a Computer Science background?  There are few, if any, recent video games that have genuinely pushed the limits of storage capacity.  Right now space is not that much of an issue...

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:05:07 AM
!damage! (71)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: jonebone

Are you a programmer, or do you have a Computer Science background?  There are few, if any, recent video games that have genuinely pushed the limits of storage capacity.  Right now space is not that much of an issue...

I have programmed yes, and yea actually I do

and just about every video game has pushed the limits of storage capacity,  and space has always been an issue with games. if your code doesn't fit, somethings getting the axe, whether its characters, levels, music, whatever the case may be or they'll reuse certain parts to save space for other things

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:10:20 PM
PhilCee11 (31)
(Phil Cee) < Meka Chicken >
United States
^ this happens so rarely in new games so what your saying is not true at all. maybe in the older consoles they did this, but PS2 and up this is no longer an issue, if it really is, they put it on 2 disc's which is not a big deal. they don't even do that 99.9% of the time anymore. look at Resident Evil they still put it on 2 discs for the Gamecube but it could of fit on one.

its not true, IF they were to use THAT much space there is no way in hell a game would come out that size for 59.99, and before the system had already died . forget about that your thinking NES and SNES games. I will put money that they do not make a game that even comes close to pushing that limit.

PS3 always had these hardware specs that are so much of something but it does not matter becasue it will not be used.

yayy! I gots an avatar! yayy!

Edited: 12/08/2008 at 10:12 PM by PhilCee11

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:43:53 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
You're forgetting internal RAM and processor speed. Programs still need to operate within those confines. With each system there's a certain number of polygons that can be rendered before things start to drag. Some clever programs will find ways around that with perspective tricks to limit background, hiding polygons not in the camera POV, etc. All of these help make a visually impressive program "fit" in the processor sense, if not the disc.

Most of the space taken up on discs is FMV and digital audio.