Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES The Mask Some interesting developer facts!

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:54:41 PM
Armageddon Potato (267)
(Daniel Tatro) < Kraid Killer >
California
Hey guys! I was watching Awesome Games Done Quick 2014 in the morning today they did the "Mystery Game". It landed up being The Mask for the SNES, and they had a developer for the game there(I missed his name!)

Here were some of the things he mentioned:

-The game was inspired by Aladdin(Sega Genesis), and Sonic the Hedgehog.

-The game was based on the Sega Genesis The Mask which never shipped, and was scrapped.

-The game was more inspired by the comics rather than the movie.

-There was a cut carnival level which is where the clown enemies came from.

-The roof zipping bug was actually discovered by the programmers, but was left in because they wanted the Mask to move fast.

-The guy who was nominated for effect work awards in Aliens 3 did the sounds and some programming.

-There was a guy who did some commodore stuff who made the sound engine(I missed what exactly this was.)

-Nintendo Power shows police in the jail level, but they were cut because they didn't want the Mask beating up police. The police would attack you by shooting at you.

-They took some creative liberties with the final boss by giving him a 2nd mask. They decided it would be too boring for the player to not have the mask on at the end fight, and they didn't want to have to program the player over again without him wearing the mask.

There was a cool level skip in the sewer level skip in the run. Apparently you can hammer the dog which extends your character hitbox. When you do this you can then use the horn to trigger the exit flag through the wall to skip the level.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:01:03 PM
the_hudge27 (52)
(Shawn M) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
I've always had a lot of affinity for that game so I was pretty psyched to see it show up. Learning about its production just made it that much better.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:24:29 AM
Bonozo (0)

< Cherub >
The Mask SNES run commentary by lead dev Matt Harmon (http://twitter.com/bonozoapps...) was "Smokin'!!!"
meme of the devs response:
https://i.imgflip.com/61iwq.jpg...
#AGDQ2014

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:25:01 PM
DejahThoris (100)
(Ryan Winton) < Meka Chicken >
Colorado
For anyone interested: