Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew SGP's Halloween vol. I: Spook-o'-tron Check your KS inbox if you have not received your copy

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:21:15 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

Originally posted by: thesubcon3

Yeah that's 100% understandable. The adapter would likely have to be made with a 3D printer, which wouldn't necessarily be easy or affordable. Makes sense, and it's great you are giving people the option!

If I could 3D print them then cost would be great. However, something like that requires tooling and a mold, plus large quantities of pieces, so it starts to approach that unrealistic 10k point  . To the best of my knowledge anyways, sadly...

There are cheaper options for small runs if it is part that can be milled from a block, rather than needing injection molding.

Depends heavily on whether the part can be made by "subtractive" processes, exclusively.

Another thing to consider is plugs are not merely chunks of plastic. They have metallic bits in them as well which need to be cut, bent, or cast for the exact application, then soldered or crimped to the cable wiring. Automation of this process for small runs would be prohibitively expensive.

Also there are two vastly different printing technologies, laser sintered powder (Shapeways)
and ABS filament (Makerbot, et al). Filament would not have the necesary precision for an electrical conector, and powder is more expensive and tends to shed white (or dyed) powder unless properly finished and sealed. Any connector housing shedding powder into nooks and crannies could interfere with electrical contacts.

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:40:25 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

!

If I could 3D print them then cost would be great. However, something like that requires tooling and a mold, plus large quantities of pieces, so it starts to approach that unrealistic 10k point  . To the best of my knowledge anyways, sadly...

There are cheaper options for small runs if it is part that can be milled from a block, rather than needing injection molding.

Depends heavily on whether the part can be made by "subtractive" processes, exclusively.

Another thing to consider is plugs are not merely chunks of plastic. They have metallic bits in them as well which need to be cut, bent, or cast for the exact application, then soldered or crimped to the cable wiring. Automation of this process for small runs would be prohibitively expensive.

Also there are two vastly different printing technologies, laser sintered powder (Shapeways)
and ABS filament (Makerbot, et al). Filament would not have the necesary precision for an electrical conector, and powder is more expensive and tends to shed white (or dyed) powder unless properly finished and sealed. Any connector housing shedding powder into nooks and crannies could interfere with electrical contacts.

The final part wouldn't be made in an automated fashion no matter how you slice it, since plugs and adapters tend to be two piece housings (at least) that you manually wire and then seal.

But the filament printing is a lot higher precision than you are giving it credit for.
Only the z-axis tends to be obviously "steppy", so having the precision you need for a plug is just a matter of how you orient the part before you print it.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:05:42 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Campaign looks like it's doing well!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:13:22 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Barely 48 hours in and nearly 50% funded!  

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/...

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:50:36 AM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan

Asuming the game sends the full 16 bits to the controller, the four "key" bits at the end would automatically identify them as SNES controller, would it not? And NES controller with no inputs activated and an SNES controller with no inputs activated would appear different to the software? I believe the SNES controller pulls low after the 16th bit, and I forget if official NES controllers remain high or pull low after the 8th bit, but there's no change after bit 16 either way. What I'm saying is you can detect the controller type without confusing the user with a ton of menus.

Unsure about how the Virtual Boy controller bits are keyed, but there can't be that many floating about...

Thank you for starting my morning off with a technical problem for a change. It has been weeks it feels like!

I had to go back and look things over ago as it has been a while (fired up the old controller reading program), and you are correct, that would work. Except, with the dual NES option you have to turn the P-1 d-pad on its side. That throws everything off.

SNES and VB can be condensed for main play, but they have different functions in the editor since the SNES controller has two less buttons. The VB controller allows for single pixel movement with the right d-pad for precision placement, whereas the SNES controller loses this option. Not that many people ended up using it when testing, but hey, it was there so I built it in.

The only buttons that stay uniform across all three options are the Select and Start buttons, so I made use of those for the initial menus. Now, I could force the player the use certain buttons to auto-select their controller such as:

Dual NES: P2 Select (P2 read 3)
SNES: A (P1 read 9)
VB: A (P1 read 13)

But then things just start getting downright confusing  . Not to mention that title screen would look horrid! I think that I might build it in as a quick select option, but you the user is going to have to know that it is there, particularly since SNES A matches up with VB right-d-pad Right (overlap) whereas VB A cannot be pressed on a SNES controller. I'm going to get enough questions as it is about things with three options, let alone overlapping auto-select configurations.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: The current menu is pretty straightforward too. You just press select once to get to the controller option and then change it on the fly with the d-pad. Then move on to either Editor or back up to Play. No separate screens, and it just takes a quick second.

Double edit: Those reads above may be off, but you get the idea.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 03/17/2017 at 08:46 AM by SoleGooseProductions

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:38:55 AM
thesubcon3 (148)
(Jeffrey Wittenhagen) < King Solomon >
Texas

Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Barely 48 hours in and nearly 50% funded!  

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1115970826/spook-o-tron-a-h...

The smartest thing was putting a lower funding goal, as the campaign will go where it goes based on the community, and if he can make it work at 5K, then that's perfect and when/if it goes up then it better benefits everything! A lot of people outside the community will see that it's already 50% funded and back it because they know it will be successful and they can see that Beau has released other games.

FYI, Kicktraq is not an accurate assessment of where a campaign will go, as the future amount is if the campaign maintains the momentium and all Kickstarter campaigns do a "reverse bell curve". However, it is extremely useful for atmospherics on how campaigns work.

Congrats Beau and it's great that everything is working out well with the campaign!

Check out VGBS Gaming Podcast, all of my books and other nonsense at:
www.hagensalley.com

Get one of my latest books...The Complete SNES - Definitive Edition! 

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopify.com/collections/hagens-...

Games I am looking for...PM me if you got 'em
Obscure Games for the PC-FX, Vectrex, Neo Geo, MSX
NES Homebrew - Lady Frogger, Blade Buster (with save)

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:30:22 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Kevin has added the demo to Scoreboard. Instructions in the OP!

SoleGooseProductions.com

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:27:22 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Just backed! Good luck! Hope this crushes the goal.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:02:38 PM
IBtiM (11)
(Tim Hartman) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Let's get this funded by the close of the weekend!

So rad!

Part of the Retrotainment Games crew. Pre-Order our new NES game Full Quiet now Backerkit! Plus, our all original NES homebrews Haunted: Halloween '85 and Haunted: Halloween '86 The Curse of Possum Hollow are out now!
Check out https://www.facebook.com/Retrotai... for more info or grab the games at http://www.cashinculture.com/.... Stay Rad!

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:51:45 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Backed! This is an innovative title, especially in terms of hardware and the potential for community involvement. You've got something special here SoleGoose!

Who's playing the demo? So fun!

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:11:46 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
$113 bucks to go...  

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 01:12 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:28:13 AM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
FUNDED!!!!!

Congrats, Beau!!

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:54:35 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Awesome, way to go! And I still need to back it! Looks to be a very successful campaign!

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:58:32 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Congrats Beau!  

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:34:58 PM
Broke Studio (1)
< Crack Trooper >
France
YAY! Congrats Beau  

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:49:04 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Thanks all! Your guys' support and spreading of the news has been amazing, and I really did not expect to hit the goal this quick. Writing an update and hammering out some stretch goals as we speak.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:05:27 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

Thanks all! Your guys' support and spreading of the news has been amazing, and I really did not expect to hit the goal this quick. Writing an update and hammering out some stretch goals as we speak.
Congrats. You can only go up from here!  

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 06:05 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:33:45 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Wow, Beau! Funded in just 4 days. That's awesome!

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:45:07 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Oh and I've never used kickstarter before, you'll be poppin that cherry Beau   I do have a question though, do they take PayPal?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:48:58 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
Nebraska
Originally posted by: Bert

Oh and I've never used kickstarter before, you'll be poppin that cherry Beau   I do have a question though, do they take PayPal?

Sadly, no Paypal. Credit Card only.

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:49:17 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Bert

Oops! What was I thinking? The last couple that I have backed not been funded I guess  .

They most certainly do! Thanks Bert!

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 08:50 PM by SoleGooseProductions

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:30:50 PM
IBtiM (11)
(Tim Hartman) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania

Let's keep the train rollin...

Part of the Retrotainment Games crew. Pre-Order our new NES game Full Quiet now Backerkit! Plus, our all original NES homebrews Haunted: Halloween '85 and Haunted: Halloween '86 The Curse of Possum Hollow are out now!
Check out https://www.facebook.com/Retrotai... for more info or grab the games at http://www.cashinculture.com/.... Stay Rad!

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:27:00 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
17 days left! Thanks to everyone who has helped spread the word and make this project a success. Check out an amazing video review by swlovinist:

SoleGooseProductions.com

Mar 30, 2017 at 5:36:25 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
Nebraska

17 days left! Thanks to everyone who has helped spread the word and make this project a success. Check out an amazing video review by swlovinist:
allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EiU..." width="500">>

Going to have to watch this tonight! I love his reviews.

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Apr 3, 2017 at 2:59:53 PM
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
An awesome review by Daria is now available here:

A fascinating look at things, complete with some context and history about Robotron.

SoleGooseProductions.com

Edited: 04/03/2017 at 03:00 PM by SoleGooseProductions